How long did it take you to conceive?

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

How long did it take you to conceive?

Postby Aimalee » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:19 am

I was just diagnosed with PCOS a couple weeks ago and am trying to conceive...

I understand why my gynaecologist can't give me an idea of how long it will take, but I'm SO frustrated with worrying it will take over a year. Has anyone on here conceived in under a year? Less than 6 months even? I don't know how unlikely/impossible it is, and if I should give up and just expect nothing to happen for another two years.

When I was 16 I had a scan and was told everything was fine - the cycsts have only just shown up this time at 23 - and I was just told that my hormone levels are 'a bit higher than normal'. Should I take that to mean that I don't have 'serious' PCOS? I'm also under weight (my BMI is 18.5) so I can't help wondering if gaining weight itself would have a big difference. With no medication I only get about three periods a year. When I was on hormone replacements or the contraceptive pill my periods were completely normal and regular.
Aimalee

Re: How long did it take you to conceive?

Postby Blue84 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:46 am

Hi Aimalee,
How long have you been ttc for?
The main problem with PCOS is that we don't ovulate often if at all and some ladies need help with this. If you are already seeing a gynecologist then you are definitely moving in the right direction. The gynae will probably want to have sperm tests run on your partner and also check that your tubes are open and okay as a first step.
It has taken me 17months of ttc to get pregnant. I had not long had a HSG to check my tubes were open and was waiting to be put on clomid when i found out the happy news.

On the weight front, I do think it would help you to be in the normal BMI range. My BMI was on the low side and i think putting on some pounds helped me a bit.

Just remember it will happen for you hun. It might just take longer than someone without PCOS xx
Diagnosed with PCOS April 2012
TTC since September 2012
April 2013 - Referred to Gynae
June 2013 - 1st Appt
August 2013 - 2nd Appt
November 2013 - HSG
07.02.14 - Due to start Clomid
06.02.14: Surprise Natural BFP!!!! IT'S A GIRL!!!
Blue84

Postby *~*PINKPIXIE*~* » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 am

It's a difficult question to answer as depending on who you ask, the replies will vary from 1 month to 5 years to never! The degree of PCOS is very varied and how it in turn affects fertility is very varied.

Are you being referred for treatment, or are you trying naturally? I am also a slim PCOS normally (current BMI is 21 but my BMI was 19 when I conceived my first child) and also had normal cycles when on the pill, which became very erratic when I came off the pill to ttc. I tried naturally for about 8 months but then my cycle stopped altogether and I saw a consultant. In my case, my ovaries were very cystic and my hormones were way off balance so I was probably an extreme case (although you wouldn't know it to look at me as I don't fit the usual profile) and my consultant said I would never have conceived if I'd tried naturally. Both my children came from a combination of treatments.

Equally there are people on here for whom natural BFPs are relatively easy to achieve despite their PCOS. And yes, this can be in just a couple of months of trying.

If I were in your shoes and I wanted a baby now, not later, I would be asking for a referral to have some checks on you and your OH as Blue84 suggests. In the meantime, keep trying naturally and then make a decision whether to carry on naturally or go down the treatment route when you hear what is on offer and when. (e.g. they might say "try for 6 months first").
Miracle #1 - OD, 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, Cyclogest

Miracle #2 - 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, HCG injection, Cyclogest, Junior aspirin

Natural, surprise pregnancy Dec 2015, MMC Jan 2016
*~*PINKPIXIE*~*

Postby Aimalee » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:01 pm

I went off the contraceptive pill a year and a half ago because I'd never had normal periods without pills and wanted to see if my body would sort itself out. During that time we didn't properly try to prevent pregnancy, so my doctors are considering that as a year of 'trying.' This year we're really wanting to conceive though, and have been actively trying for a month. I'm obviously not expecting to become pregnant immediately, but up until a week ago I didn't know I had PCOS and thought I had a good chance of becoming pregnant before summer, so losing that hope is what's really upset me.

Thankfully I have a brilliant GP who had my blood tests and an ultrasound done in January (which is how I found out about the PCOS) and has already had my husband tested (who is completely normal and healthy). I've been told I'm on a waiting list for an HSG which is usually a three month wait. As soon as they offer me clomid I will take it because I don't want this process any more drawn out than it needs to be, but at the same time I would be so relieved to conceive naturally before then! I'm charting but haven't noticed any signs of ovulation yet. :( I'm trying to cling to the hope that gaining weight and making changes to my diet might be all that I need... But then I read or hear about someone with PCOS who never got pregnant, or who has been trying for over 3 years and I feel like it'll end up being impossible for me too...
Aimalee

Postby espoir » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:18 pm

Aimalee, it's great that you have a supportive GP and that you are already getting tests done. I know it must have been a shock to discover you have PCOS, but it doesn't mean that you won't be able to conceive. The majority of women that have PCOS do conceive, and I suspect the ones that have difficulties have other underlying issues that complicate things (in my case, my thyroid). It may take some time to conceive, but don't lose hope. If you know a good acupuncturist that may be worth trying. Although I'm not TTC, I've had 3 natural AFs since I had acupuncture, and definitely signs of ovulation.....which was unheard of for me while TTC.
espoir

Postby Blue84 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:18 pm

You are defo on the right tracks and once you've had your HSG, and if all is OK I can't see why they wouldn't put you on clomid. Sometimes people fall pregnant in the next couple of months after their HSG - This is what happened to me. It can clear your tubes out and although this has no effect on ovulation, every little helps. In the meantime do what you can to be healthy diet-wise & weight and as espoir said lots of people have had luck with acupuncture so you could maybe give that a try.

Try to stay positive.
Diagnosed with PCOS April 2012
TTC since September 2012
April 2013 - Referred to Gynae
June 2013 - 1st Appt
August 2013 - 2nd Appt
November 2013 - HSG
07.02.14 - Due to start Clomid
06.02.14: Surprise Natural BFP!!!! IT'S A GIRL!!!
Blue84

Postby Ruby » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 pm

3yrs with my son, 1st month with my daughter. You can't predict what will happen. Good luck xx
Natural BFP 8.7.10, EDD 11.3.11, Baby Boy born 5.3.11
Surprise Natural BFP 28.01.13, EDD 5.10.13, Baby Girl born 13.9.13
Ruby

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood