Natural conception, drugs needed?

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Natural conception, drugs needed?

Postby Izzy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:30 am

Hi ladies,

I haven't been on here for a very long time as I was getting rather obsessed with constantly checking the site! Anyways, I have been very lucky to have a gorgeous little girl with the help of metformin and clomid 100mg. After having a MMC the consultant kept me on the metformin and also put me on cyclogest pessaries until 14 weeks - this was to help sustain the pregnancy as she said my hormones were so out of kilt and that was the reason for the previous MMC.

I have now by some miracle fallen pg and am concerned about being able to sustain this pregnancy. I'm still bf my daughter so don't know if that helps to stabilise my hormones.

Anyway, I guess my questions are: Has anyone gotten pg naturally and needed or not needed medical support (i.e cyclogest, met etc...), should you stop bf as some sites say that can cause MC due to contractions/ oxytocin but I'm worried that that's whats keeping me on an even keel. Am desperate to get to that 12-14 week stage when the placenta takes over and my hormones aren't responsible anymore!!!

It's amazing but always such a worry for us PCOS mums!!!

Thanks ladies, xoxo
Time for a name change - was 21wonderwoman
Izzy

Re: Natural conception, drugs needed?

Postby espoir » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am

Hi Izzy, Congratulations on your BFP!! It's very hard being pregnant again after a MMC. I can't answer your questions - just give you my experience - I was also given pessaries after a chemical pregnancy - the second pregnancy was in fact a MMC (the fetus stopped growing around 5 weeks), that the pessaries didn't help prevent - only delayed the MC. I think it's impossible to know whether your MMC was due to hormones or whether there was some genetic or other (natural) reason for the MMC, unless the tissue was tested. Can you ask for pessaries if you are concerned? Are you still on met?
Take care xxx
espoir

Postby Tinker » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi,

I can't help with the post mc bit but I got pregnant after 2 IVFs naturally and was still bfing and not on any meds. She is 22 months old now.

Tinker
Starting 1st cycle of IVF December 07 - BFP Feb 1st
Toby George born 24.09.08
TTC no.2 since April 09
IVF 2 - BFP 16/3/10 - Joel Jacob born 26.11.10
Tinker

Postby Izzy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi espoir, thanks so much for your reply and congrats... I'm no longer on met, haven't been since the 14 week mark with my successful pg. My GP won't prescribe anything without consultants advice but consultant won't let me have even a private appt as I'm now pg and not dealing with infertility! I just wanted an early scan and some bloods to check if everything seems ok for a bit of piece of mind but no one seems to want to help and 12 weeks seems like ages away! Hence me turning to good old faithful Verity ladies :-)

Thanks Tinker, that makes me feel better - when did you stop bf - was this during your pg or not?

Thanks ladies, I really do appreciate the time you take to reply to my questions... xoxo
Izzy

Postby miracle19 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:50 pm

Congratulations Izzy on your wonderful news. I had had two early M/C so they didn't count them as such. So ended up paying for a private scan last week...through a company called babymed and it cost £99 which I don't think is too bad.
I had a child 7 years ago after 5 years of trying and this new miracle is after clomid, ovarian drilling and diabetes diagnosis so definitely was a lovely surprise. I too seem to spend my time feeling worried that things won't progress but everyone has been telling me I need to try and think happy thoughts. easier said than done. I have to stay on the Metformin because of the diabetes and actually originally it was diagnosed by the GP rather than consultant anyway.
Might be worth trying GP again with your concerns or speaking to midwives who might be able to refer you to a different consultant as you have had a MMC.
How many weeks do you think you are?
I am hovering between a July/Aug/Sept thread and an Oct thread (which might soon become an OCT/NOV thread). So when you feel confident come and join us xxxxxxx
TTC baby number 2 since 2007
10 cycles of Clomid DIDN'T WORK.
Ovarian Drilling DONE 17th May 2012....
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetes Aug 2013
5 natural cycles since then...
27.1.14 BFP!!!!!!! oh my god! DUE DATE 3.10.14 IT'S A BOY!!
NEVER GIVE UP HOPE!
BABY BOY JOSHUA STEPHEN BORN 25.9.14 WEIGHING 8lb 1oz

http://swlm.lilyslim.com/TikiPic.php/DyDFRg7.jpg
The ticker URL:
http://swlm.lilyslim.com/DyDFp1.png

miracle19

Postby Tinker » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:15 pm

Hi,
I got my BFP on August 31st and stopped bfing mid December so I was about 5 months pregnant. DS was really not y bothered by then so he was the one who stopped really.

Good luck I hope it is a sticky one. How many weeks are you?

Tinker
Starting 1st cycle of IVF December 07 - BFP Feb 1st
Toby George born 24.09.08
TTC no.2 since April 09
IVF 2 - BFP 16/3/10 - Joel Jacob born 26.11.10
Tinker

Postby Izzy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi miracle19, we might end up paying for a private scan too as I'm not sure if I can wait until 12 weeks! Congrats on your pg too! :-)

Thanks Tinker, maybe DD will self wean too, was planning on feeding her for one more month but might just carry on until the first tri is out of the way and hormones are less of a factor. I think I'm about 5.5 weeks so very early days! Only found out on Friday :-)
Izzy

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood