Toddler constipation

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Toddler constipation

Postby *~*PINKPIXIE*~* » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:33 am

Just after some advice please! Edward is 2 years and 9 months old, and has bowel movements approx. 2 times a day. But there has been absolutely no poo for 4 days now. He seems fine in himself. I've tried increasing his fluid intake (I had noticed he was having less fluids lately), giving him brown sugar in water, cycling his legs, dancing, extra fruit... and nothing. How long would the sugar water thing take to work?

Any other ideas? At what point should I take him to the doctors? Today? Or a walk in centre over the weekend if still no results?

Any advice / similar stories welcome.
Miracle #1 - OD, 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, Cyclogest

Miracle #2 - 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, HCG injection, Cyclogest, Junior aspirin

Natural, surprise pregnancy Dec 2015, MMC Jan 2016
*~*PINKPIXIE*~*

Re: Toddler constipation

Postby espoir » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:25 pm

I can't help with the constipation, but I've taken sugar water for myself and it normally works pretty quick (within hours).
espoir

Postby Emma78 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:24 pm

Ewan has had slow bowels since birth, so I've has to deal with constipation a lot! He's now on prescribed medication daily (Movicol) but before that I used to give him lactulose, which you can buy over the counter from a pharmacy and I think is a similar concept to sugar water but a bit 'stronger' (we used to give him sugar water as a baby). The lactulose would normally work within a couple of days.

Emma78

Postby Hols969 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:06 pm

We did a baby massage course and rubbing the tum really helps get things moving (I do it on myself at times and have done for many many years). It must be done the right way though otherwise you push the poo the wrong way.....

If you are lying flat (and doing it yourself), you need to rub your belly under the rib cage from your right to left (so use the curve of your ribcage to rub around), you can often tell if they are a bit constipated as you will feel a lumpy bit (I often get it around the right side of my tum at the start of my rib cage and it can feel quite tender at times, I also do it if I bloat as well as this helps move the gas), so just keep rubbing for 5-10 mins with a bit of oil from the right side of the rib cage around in a half circle to the left (we often do it in a full circle to the top of the pube line!!) It should 'produce' a movement the following morning as it moves it more to where it should be I think, but always works for us all .... maybe try it on yourself so you understand what it feels like.

xx
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby *~*PINKPIXIE*~* » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:12 pm

We did sugar water and massage and he has been poo-ing like a trooper ever since! Think next time I'll give less sugar water!! Thanks for the advice!
Miracle #1 - OD, 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, Cyclogest

Miracle #2 - 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, HCG injection, Cyclogest, Junior aspirin

Natural, surprise pregnancy Dec 2015, MMC Jan 2016
*~*PINKPIXIE*~*

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood