Delayed language

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Delayed language

Postby michelle79 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi
Katie has been kept an eye for about 6mths by the speech and language team since we self referred for her stutter. When we went to parents evening last week, the teacher said mostly positive things but that they had done a language link test which put Katie at18% and Daniel at 27% (not great but not classed as dire!) the main problem being their ability to follow instructions. We just happened to have an appt today with SALT and dh mentioned the test and the woman said she would retest herself as the school used headphones as Katie doesn't hear great and has Grommits in but thought that the test was likely to be correct. Does anyone have any experience of speech and language therapy for delayed speech and/or understanding. I feel bad cos I haven't really noticed. With two kids at once it's so hard to really focus on anything!
Thanks
Michelle
TTC since May 08
1st round clomid 100mg - BFP 31/10/08

michelle79

Re: Delayed language

Postby looey82 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi Michelle,
I have worked with many children with speech difficulties and delayed speech in nursery, reception and key stage 1 alongside a very good speech and language therapist. Hopefully I can help! Firstly try not to worry too much, there's lots of things you can do to help, most of them small and simple adjustments to how you speak to you child, break down instructions and build up vocabulary. Probably the best thing would be to see what the SALT person says as they will usually write up a few targets for your child and it's best if you all work towards the same ones and they'll hopefully show you games to play and model appropriate language etc.
I can say that a vast majority of children who are picked up early will make good progress with a little bit of help. Speech is often not really taught as we tend to just pick it up naturally but for those who have a difficulty or have missed out through hearing problems, you need to backtrack a little and follow a systematical approach tailored to that child's needs. I have worked with lots of children who are delayed and within a couple of years have caught up with the 'norm' for their age.
If there are any specific areas you'd like help with or if you'd like me to point you in the direction of any resources, there are some good website.
Hope that helps a little. Xx
TTC Mar 08
Clomid#1 May 09-BFP- MMC at 9+2wks
Natural BFP- Dec 09! Lost baby girl at 18+5 wks due to pPROM
12 clomid cycles & 2 x FSH injections with IUI- BFNs
IVF#1- 25 eggs, 8 fertilised, 1 back + 4 frosties!
IVF BFP- Clexane & prog injections, low dose steroids & aspirin
Aug 12- DS born at 27+5wks after 10 weeks of problems
TTC#2 Nov 13
Mar 14- FET 1 embryo transfered- BFP- early MC
IVF DD born at 34+4wks Apr 2015
looey82

Postby michelle79 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks looey
I guess we'll have to see where she's at with the assessments and see where we go from there. We have made some changes to the way we interact to help with the stutter but find it easy to forget when we're running around trying to fly out the door in the morning! How would you explain why she is going there to her brother, her and anyone who asks infront of her? We have just been saying she's going to the doctors at the moment but I don't want her to think she's sick!
How is Matthew doing?
Michelle
TTC since May 08

michelle79

Postby espoir » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi Michelle, I can't help much, but if Katie has hearing problems, be sure that when you're talking to her/giving her instructions that you're doing it to her face, if you're not doing so already. It's so easy to talk to the back of their heads, and I notice DS is all too happy for me to talk to the back of his head so he can ignore me! But for Katie's understanding and learning of instructions, it's probably important.
espoir

Postby looey82 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:19 pm

Hi Michelle,
Matthew is doing really well thanks. Crawling around and side stepping round furniture etc! A real mummy's boy at the moment.
I would put it simply and be honest. Without knowing Katie I don't know whether she'd understand this but if so I would say that her teachers have said she's been brilliant at school and point out some good things they said. Then I'd say that the teachers think sometimes she finds some listening and talking a bit tricky and so you are going to see a special man/lady to play some fun games to help practice. I'd also say this or similar to Daniel, friends or anyone who asks. Children are very astute and may have already noticed but at that age they generally just accept these things and move on. In fact they were really sweet and if children spoke in front of the class or said a sound they struggled with etc the rest would often smile and clap. We were always very open at school as it is nothing to be embarrassed of. The speech therapist (and school staff) would always say things like "good talking" to the children so they knew that's what they were practising.
Like espoir said stopping what they are doing and eye contact are very important, not solely because of hearing issues. If Katie finds it hard to understand and follow instructions, you want to make sure she stops and looks (so she's not distracted) and also so that she can see you mouth position (if speech sounds are an issue?) Break the instructions down into short clear steps and repeat. If she is able to (it's very hard without knowing her at all) get her to repeat what you asked her to do.
If you just say "do you understand?" she may say yes as she thinks she does but repeating it back I'll let you see whether she has heard and remembered. If that's too advanced you could repeat your instruction but leave the last word for her to fill in ie. You might say "Katie, good looking and listening please. (get her stop and listen) can you get your shoes (emphasise) and then your coat emphasise.) OK? What do you need to get? Your shoes and your......?
Lots of praise for good looking, good listening, good talking. Use gesturing if this helps.
A good game for listening and following instructions is to get 2 cheap colouring books (the same) or buy just 1 and photocopy each picture. Basically you need to pictures the same. You have one and Katie has 1 (or 3 if Daniel joins in). Each have several colour pens. Put a barrier between your pictures (anything like a hard back book stood up) so she can't see yours. Then give instructions appropriate to her level. Each time get her to look and listen. Repeat each instruction twice. So you might say colour the clowns hat blue (emphasise key words). Repeat making sure she looks. Then you both follow the instructions. Next you could say draw a yellow sun in the sky. You can see how this could be made easier or harder so you could say write your name at the bottom of the page. Draw an ice cream in the clowns hand. Draw red and blue spots on the clowns shoes. Again you'd have to determine a realistic amount of instructions, maybe only starting with 3-4 and then have the big reveal when you remove the barrier and see if both your pictures look the same.
That develops a whole range of listening, following instructing, developing language of position or vocabulary etc. Children (especially girls) seem to love it. Give lots of praise afterwards, maybe a sticker. Does that sound like something she'd like, hopefully you'll find she really enjoys some 1:1 time.
You can do same but will objects too. Put several items out eg a spoon, a cup, a book, a toy person and car etc. Then say put the Spoon in the cup. Now put the book under the cup etc. Again you'd have to adapt to your daughters level of comprehension. The the big reveal to see if your items look the same. Don't worry if not, it's a good chance to reinforce language. "uh oh you put the book under the car. Mummy's book is under the cup. Can you put your book under the cup. '
Gosh I'm really rambling now! Can you tell I'm missing getting my teeth stuck in at school!!
Xx
TTC Mar 08
TTC#2 Nov 13
looey82

Postby espoir » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Michelle, sorry for hi-jacking your thread, but I'm very interested in this topic for a different reason. We are bringing our children up bilingually, and DS has delayed language in the 2nd language, which is completely normal at his age, but would like to encourage language development, so looey, I'm really interested in the suggestions you've made. Do you have any books or other resources you could recommend to me for ideas?

Michelle, I was also going to suggest similar to looey about how to manage explaining the situation to others. I think it's best just to be up-front about it. Then there is no mystery for the others to wonder about. Are you also regularly checking her hearing?

Looey, great to hear that Matthew is doing so well, and all the best for TTC no 2!
espoir

Postby michelle79 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi looey
Thanks for the advice. So tonight after school I tried the game with the objects. I said under, in, on top and next to and she got it all. She enjoyed it for about 4 or 5 goes then got bored but guess she was tired too. She is being followed up by ent. She has another appt with hearing test in January. She had Grommits put in sept 12 and her speech improved a lot as did her confidence but it seemed to bring a stutter to our attention hence the referral. The Grommits should have fallen out by now so will have to wait to see how she does on the next test.
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Glad to hear Matthew is doing so well, your miracle baby!
Thanks for the advice espoir.
Michelle x
TTC since May 08

michelle79

Postby sammykins » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:35 am

Hi espoir - I'm bringing up our DDs bilingual too. My eldest has excellent comprehension in the second language and is improving constantly with speaking. Obviously English is the dominant language, but I am hoping with a little encouragement and having her exposed to the second language more, she will become more confident with her speaking.

sammykins

Postby looey82 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi

I'll reply properly in a bit but remind me again espoir how old your DS is. Also could you just explain how each language is being used, ie do you speak one and Oh speak another or do you both speak both. Is one used most of the time and the 2nd language being taught as a 2nd language iygwim?! What kinda level is DS at, single words, stringing words together
That'll just help me to make appropriate suggestions if i can. X
TTC Mar 08
TTC#2 Nov 13
looey82

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood