Metformin and pregnancy

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Metformin and pregnancy

Postby Katss » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:55 am

Hi.

Really need some advice on metformin and pregnancy. I got my BFP this week. Don't get any natural cycles and even 6 cycles of clomid didn't work, so then we tried metformin (which my doctor thought won't work as I'm slim). Anyway it did work as I ov-d 3 weeks later and then got my BFP. Really happy but nervous too. My clinic tell everyone to stop met when pregnant and my gp doesn't know much about met so he hasn't got much advice either. All the evidence online seems to suggest that it is best to continue until 12 weeks and it should be ok for the baby to keep taking it. I'm on 1000mg a day (as I never got up 1500mg before I ov-d). My clinic has said that I can keep taking it, but it is my decision and their standard advice is to stop. I guess because use of met is both unlicensed in pcos and pregnancy. Saying that endocrinology department at the same hospital has an information sheet on met and pcos and states that it is safe in pregnancy and should be continued until 12 weeks. I think I will keep taking it but could do with some positive stories.

Would really appreciate some stories from you ladies. When did you stop? Did you stop gradually? Did you have to adjust your diet to make sure your sugar levels didn't drop too low (I'm so hungry all the time and I noticed that met makes me lose weight even in the few weeks I have taken it...I'm already normal weight so probably shouldn't lose more weight). Also did you just take normal pregnancy vitamins or anything extra as met can cause low vitamin b levels?

Oh such a long post. Thank you for reading and I would really love hearing your stories about met and pregnancy.

Kats
TTC 1
OD - Jun 09 - No AF after OD
2nd-5th Clomid cycle 100mg - Aug 09 - Nov 09
05/12/09 - BFP - Baby Girl :)
TTC2 Oct 2012
Clomid 1 - 6 Jan/Feb - 13 Aug 13
Sept 13 - break from clomid
Oct 13 - start met
Nov 13 - BFP - baby girl :)

Proud mummy to my Clomid miracle born Aug 2010 and my Met miracle born Aug 2014
Katss

Re: Metformin and pregnancy

Postby Fitch » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:31 am

Hi congratulations in your BFP!!!

I took metformin after 3 misscarages and dr kind of said that it's worth given it a go!!! I to am 'normal' weight!! Dr said that it was my choice wether I continue or not after conceiving and I decided to continue 2 tablets until 10 weeks then went down to 1 tablet Until 14 weeks, I don't really know why I did it I just think I felt better taking something!!!??? Any way I took no other meds apart from basic pregnancy tablet and i don't ever google (learnt that after 3 misscarages it does not help!!!) so I took met and hoped for best and my son is a very healthy 11 month old!!!

Good luck x
Fitch

Postby sammykins » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:21 pm

I took it for the full length of both my pregnancies (1500mg/day), and both babies are fine :) Do what makes you comfortable. Oh, and congrats on your BFP :) xx

sammykins

Postby Chicken » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:22 pm

I started it during my pregnancy at about 29 weeks and was taking 2000mg / day as part of my treatment for gestational diabetes. This resulted in full diabetes post pregnancy so remained in 2000mg / day while breastfeeding for a year and if I am lucky enough to have another baby I'll be on the 2000mg throughout my pregnancy.

My BMI was 27 / size 12 when I conceived so not really slim but not huge either.

I was worried and did a fair bit if research and it is deemed quite safe and is a preferred treatment for gestational diabetes too now. I spoke to my consultant at length about my concerns over using it during pregnancy but he reassured me they use it a lot in pregnancy.
Chicken

Postby espoir » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:06 pm

Congratulations on your BFP! I think the best is to do what you feel comfortable with. As far as I know, once you conceive your risk of miscarriage is the same as anyone else and Met will not prevent a MC, so some doctors were surprised I was still taking it during pregnancy, as they classed it as something used when TTC. I took it the first trimester, mainly because I think it influences my thyroid levels and as these are critical in the first trimester I was reluctant to stop. I have 3 healthy babies! In the first pregnancy I gradually weaned off but in the second I just stopped one day.
espoir

Postby Katss » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:52 am

Hi ladies,

Thank you so much for responding and telling your stories. Lovely to hear all your positive stories and that there really isn't one rule for met and pregnancy. I have decided to continue with met. Without met I would have never ov-d so I feel a lot more comfortable taking it. Will probably do what you said Fitch and cut down to 1 at some point and then stop around 14 weeks. Thank you again.

Kats xx
TTC 1
OD - Jun 09 - No AF after OD
2nd-5th Clomid cycle 100mg - Aug 09 - Nov 09
05/12/09 - BFP - Baby Girl :)
TTC2 Oct 2012
Clomid 1 - 6 Jan/Feb - 13 Aug 13
Sept 13 - break from clomid
Oct 13 - start met
Nov 13 - BFP - baby girl :)

Proud mummy to my Clomid miracle born Aug 2010 and my Met miracle born Aug 2014
Katss