Extended rear facing carseats and other carseat questions

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby Doobykat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Just seen this sticky - good call Yvette! :D

We've got the same ERF carseat as Yvette & I can't recommend it highly enough.
Likewise the In Car Safety Centre, if you can get to them for a visit, they are fantastic. We trialled out 4 different seats when looking at the ERF with them... and 2 of the 4 we asked to see fitted again :roll:
Nothing is too much trouble for them & you can even go back and they'll show you how to refit the seat again ( :oops: ) if you need to move it from one car to another :D
Tbh, they're fab with car seat in general. My mum had real problems trying to get one to fit her Peugeot 106, no ISO-fix and limited seatbelt length.
She went for this in the end: http://www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk/cata ... 0see65sk37
The next best thing to an ERF according to the people at the ICSC, as there are no straps which cause so much of the damage to little ones backs/necks during collisions.

Dooby x
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1db91a
MM/C Dec 2008 - 10w
MM/C Aug 2012 - 14w
Doobykat

Postby Yvette75 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:44 pm

Samira - glad you like your seat!

Espoir - if your LO is tall then I would be looking at getting either a TWE or a Britax Multitech as these have the tallest shells so should last you longest. I wouldn't fancy taking any carseat other than in infant carrier on a plane though as they are just so big and bulky. How would you carry it through the airport even if they would let you on the plane with it?

Yvette
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby shinycat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:39 pm

No definitely not, group 1 car seats are not designed to be portable in the way an infant carrier is. Although you can transfer from car to car they are extremely heavy, you really wouldn't want to take one on holiday with you on a plane.
shinycat

Postby espoir » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks ladies -hadn't considered the weight. Surprising though that the airlines won't allow the infant carriers as they are rear-facing, but will allow forward facing ones - so am wondering what they are referring to and how people do manage to get the car seat on board (granted I've never seen anyone with them...).

Yvette, thanks for the suggestions - will look into them!
espoir

Postby sammykins » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:44 pm

espoir - the TWE is the one on the pics on the page before. It's one of the seats with the highest shell, and will last until the child is 125cm tall.

x

sammykins

Postby espoir » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Sammykins, photos are lovely - does it take up a lot of space in the back? OH is very tall and his seat goes right back so we have to put the baby seat behind the passenger, so if no 2 comes along we'll be a bit stuck!
espoir

Postby sammykins » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:15 pm

we've got ours behind the passenger seat too, as DH is quite short and his seat is too far forward!

I wouldn't say it takes a lot of space, but will get a pic of our front seat on here tomorrow for you.

sammykins

Postby espoir » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:46 pm

Could you put your seat right back and still fit it do you think? I guess we just have to go and check them out and see how they fit in our car. It is another thing to think about though, isn't it, esp as we're not using the isofix base.
espoir

Postby sammykins » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:12 pm

no, we've had to move the seat forward. Also, our seat is at a 40 degree angle as my DD is less than 13kg, but as soon as she hits that weight, the seat will be more upright (10 degrees), so hopefully we will be able to move the seat back a bit further.

sammykins

Postby Yvette75 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Put the ERF behind the passenger seat then worry about number 2 when they arrive They will be in an infant carrier for a year or so anyway and by that time number 1 may be too big for ERFing anyway.

My problem is that *fingers tightly crossed* come September i'll need 3 carseats, 2 group 1 and an infant carrier. I think we are looking at ERF in the front passenger seat (TWE) for Christopher, infant carrier on base behind that then either a concord ultimax or Britax First class in the middle back seat for Emily who is still in an infant carrier at 17 months as she seems to gain weight like her brother so it should be give me until she is 4 before she is 13kg and needs a proper ERF seat by which point Christopher should be 15kg (at 6!) so can go in a high back booster!

Yvette75

Postby espoir » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Yvette, I get what you mean about waiting, but we are hoping to have no 2 sooner rather than later (but with PCOS who knows!!!) and won't be able to fit an infant carrier seat behind the driver's seat. I don't think we can use our middle seat belt to fix the seats as it only goes across the shoulder not across the lap.
Maybe the best is to go for one that can be both forward and rear facing as then at the earliest K would be 18 months before needing to go forward.
espoir

Postby espoir » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:46 pm

Btw, congrats Yvette!!! I'm sure we were Clomid buddies at some point - can't believe you're on no 3 already!!!
espoir

Postby Yvette75 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:55 am

Espoir I think we were clomid buddies! Whereabouts do you live? Could you go and try seats? The other option is a Britax First Class or Concord Ultimax (which are about £100 and £150) these are group 0/1 seats that rearface up to 13kg - how heavy is your LO now? Can you look in your red book and see how long this would see them rearfacing until. Christopher is small and won't hit 13kg until he is 4! What car do you have? If you can't fit an infant carrier behind the driver's seat? Do you have a proper 3 point belt in the middle if so you can fit a seat there - in theory!

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby shinycat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Got our ERF seat today. The In Car Safety Centre was absolutely heaving! I had an interesting chat with the guy who was saying there has been a surge in interest recently, but as they are one of only a handful of places in the UK that sell them, they seem to see everyone, and it really is just a drop in the ocean. He said "most people just don't care".

Anyway, we came away with the Britax TWE, which turned out to be the only one that would fit in the car (apart from a couple of very expensive ones out of our price range). It is surprisingly compact, really, really sturdy (doesn't move at all when you wiggle it, unlike our forward facing seat) and pretty comfy-looking. Lorna fell asleep on the journey home, which is a good sign. She did seem a bit annoyed by not being able to see us, but I imagine after a few weeks she'll get used to it. We got a mirror so we can see her.

So all in all feel very happy.
shinycat

Postby sammykins » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Yay for getting the TWE Shiny!! I fitted our seat myself and the ICSC told me to send them pics of the installed seat, and they were perfectly pleased with it, which was good as we could not make the journey there.

I really hope the upper age limit for ERF will be extended too. A lot of my friends just could not wait to move their LOs forward facing (one of them at 6 months old!). My LO has never know differently, so I think if kids move from infant carrier to ERF, they will not kick up a fuss.

xx

sammykins

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood