Extended rear facing carseats and other carseat questions

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: Extended rear facing carseats and other carseat question

Postby Yvette75 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:53 am

The answer to your question is vw passat, citroen Picasso or Renault espace. We have a passat.
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby sicily » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:42 pm

We're going to the In Car Safety Centre in Milton Keynes soon, to look for our next car seat. We would like rear facing but needs to fit into Ford Ka OR be one that fits a range of cars as we might be selling the Ka and just doing hire cars when we need them. Still want a seat for these occasions and when travelling with others.
This is probably a very silly question but... Do I need to bring LO with us for fit etc? We thought it might be easier to actually leave her with the g'parents we'll be visiting near MK and then we can just get on with the car seat fitting with both of us concentrating?
TIA x
sicily

Postby Yvette75 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:02 pm

You will probably be limited to a few seats. I know that Britax TWE does fit in the front of the KA and is a good seat that fits most cars.

I would take LO with you to be honest as if there is a choice of seats you may want to sit them in it to see which one they are most comfortable in.

Last time we went there we drove from Solihull and had a 2 year old and 8 week old with us and survived. DH stayed in the office with the 2 little people whilst I looked at seats in the car. Once I found one that I was happy with I got Emily to try it out and then did a swap with DH so he could see the seat and how it was fitted.

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby Yvette75 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:03 pm

Also the size and weight of your LO may mean that some ERF seats may still be too big for them just now.

Yvette75

Postby sicily » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Thanks yvette! LO is only 11 mths old and petite but long so we probably have a bit of time yet. Her feet do poke over the infant seat but I've been told its ok as long as her head is still within it? X
sicily

Postby Yvette75 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:01 pm

What you have been told is correct.

Don't worry about their legs. The top of their head must be within the seat of the infant carrier. If in doubt towards the end put a hardback book on the top of the seat and see if it touches their head. If it does then the seat is outgrown. Group 1 (9-18kg) seats are outgrown when eye level/top of ears is at the top of the seat.

Yvette75

Postby shinycat » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:35 pm

Right that has prompted me to get an ERF seat for Ewan now as I thought he was fine in the infant carrier but apparently not! So Mothercare have 20% off everything until tomorrow, but their website is rubbish and doesn't have ERF as an option to search for. Anyone know which seats Mothercare do that are ERF? The only one I know is the Joie one. Thanks!
shinycat

Postby Yvette75 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:57 pm

On mothercare search on combination seats.

They sell the dualfix (rf of ff with swivel to 18kg), maxfix (rf with isofix to 18kg), varioguard rf to 18kg with isofix, 13kg with belt plus the Joie stages (rf to 18kg with seatbelt.

If Ewan is a chunk then I would probably go with an up to 25kg seat though. The britax maxway is only £215 at the moment. That way you won't need to buy a new seat for either him of Lorna for a good 3-4 years +.

Also you aren't that far from the ICSC. I would go there if I was you as a big issue with ERF seats is the fit of them and even if they do fit the recline isn't good for younger babies, particularly with the isofix seats. Whilst ICSC never do discounts you do know that your seat is fitted properly and they will only sell you a seat that fits your car and your child and that to me makes the trip there worth it.

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby shinycat » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks Yvette. He's not heavy, but very long in the body, so his head is a little too high now. Thanks for your help with those choices, will have a think. We have a peugot 307 which is not huge but hopefully we will have at least some choice.
shinycat

Postby sicily » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Thanks for the help yvette. Now to ward off the 'but why are you keeping her RF and won't she get bored?' comments that I'm already getting when I mention ERF! X
sicily

Postby shinycat » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:17 pm

People who don't have erf seats can get very defensive in my experience, it's a bit strange.
shinycat

Postby Yvette75 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Sicily,

People often question why Christopher is rearfacing still (he was 5 in August) and my answer is quite simply "because it is 5 times safer than forward facing and because I know this to be the case I choose what I know to be safest for him". My husband almost died when he was 21 in a very serious car accident so we both take car safety very seriously.

As to getting bored - my son has a better view out of the back and side windows than he would in a FF seat (his view then would be the back of the seats in front.

It is easier to put a child in a rearfacing seat than a FF one as you are standing in the widest part of the door and don't have to twist to put them in.

Not once have any of my children complained of cramped legs. My brother always comments on his legs and how they would break in an accident - which is a load of rubbish. Children in FF seats are much more likely to sustain broken legs when thrown forward in an accident.

The old downside of ERF is the price of the seats imho. But to me it is a small price to pay to know that my children are as safe as they possibly can be in the car.

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby shinycat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:54 pm

We now have ourselves 2 ERF seats, we went for the Joie in the end as it was so much cheaper and still had excellent reviews, plus was in the sale! Please excuse massive pictures, can't see how to reduce the size in Photobucket...
The only downside I can see is that the seatbelt comes across the side of the seat so taking Ewan out of it while asleep would be impossible, however I guess on the odd occasion when this is necessary I could easily unbuckle the belt to loosen it, as it is so easy to reattach. Major upside is that it is so easy to install that we could happily switch from one car to another, whereas the TWE is a bit of a pig to switch from car to car (though doable).

Yvette, I was wondering if I could pick your brains re the TWE, as I am now not sure I've got it installed right, as I have moved it to the other side of the car and there is less of a recline behind the drivers seat than we had before. Please can you look at this picture below and tell me if it looks right? I tried swinging the arm back that is under the seat, but it made the seat ridiculously vertical and could not possibly be comfortable, and totally impossible to sleep in, so I've swung it back again but it now isn't lying flat on the seat. does this matter?
The actual base of the TWE itself isn't touching the seat at all, only the "arm" underneath. The instruction manual is so complicated I couldn't figure out whether this is a problem or not.

Thanks!
shinycat

Postby Yvette75 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Shiny,

I don't know is the simple answer! I would give the ICSC a call and ask for their advice. They may also be able to tell you a few hints/tips for installing it in the full upright position (which would give Lorna more legroom) by making minimal adjustments to the seat in front (e.g. altering the recline of the driver's seat maybe) Also is the TWE bracing against the headrest or the seat in front? My understanding is that it must brace against the seat in front. Also if Lorna's head pokes out over the top you have no choice to use it now in the more upright position. I am assuming the Joie won't fit behind the driver's seat? Also have you tried installing the TWE in the middle rear seat next to the Joie? It would then need to brace against both front seats so you would need to move your passenger seat to be level with the driver's seat but by bracing against both front seats it would mean that it is slightly further away from the backseat giving the carseat more scope for legroom or if reclined, more recline without moving the driver's seat. Not sure if you have enough space in the back to do this though. It would also then give you a useful seat behind the driver for other passengers but would mean that the children were close enough to fight!

Does that help at all or confuse matters further?

I really like the Joie seat. It is great quality for the money and will mean that Ewan can rearface until Lorna outgrows the TWE.

Does Ewan like his new seat?

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby shinycat » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks Yvette. Firstly, although it looks from the photo that the TWE is bracing against the headrest, it isn't, so we're fine there. It def wouldn't fit in the middle seat, we tried that originally (when we only had one child) and the seatbelt isn't long enough. In any case I'd seriously doubt the car was wide enough. I assumed the Joie wouldn't fit behind the drivers seat which is why I swapped them over, but after I'd nearly broken my back reattaching the TWE tethers I did wonder if I'd done it unneccesarily! However from looking at the instructions again today I'm pretty sure Lorna should now be in the upright position anyway, as I think she is too old to be reclined now (although she still sleeps in the car ALL the time so I don't want her to be too vertical). I did see on the Rearfacing facebook page that you can use a rolled up towel underneath to help get the angle right. If we were to swing the arm back to install it upright, and then use a towel to slightly recline it, it would take up a lot more room and would have to go back behind the passenger seat. If I can't figure something out tomorrow I'll give the ICSC a call and see if I can describe the situation over the phone!!

Ewan's not been in it yet, first try out tomorrow. I worked out he can stay in it until he reaches 18kg, then swap him into the TWE so he can rearface longer, and Lorna can then go forward facing in the Joie until she outgrows it.

shinycat

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood