Extended rear facing carseats and other carseat questions

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: Extended rear facing carseats and other carseat question

Postby Ruby » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Have you heard of the Xtensafix? I just called the in car safety centre and they basically told me I have 2 options: Britax Xtensafix or 2 way elite...
Natural BFP 8.7.10, EDD 11.3.11, Baby Boy born 5.3.11
Surprise Natural BFP 28.01.13, EDD 5.10.13, Baby Girl born 13.9.13
Ruby

Postby espoir » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi Ruby, we have the two way Elite - I suggest taking J with you when you're going to look, as K is also tall for his age, and tbh, I wonder how much longer we're going to get from the TWE - hopefully another year anyway. We're using it FF now as we need the space for the twins.
espoir

Postby Ruby » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks espoir, good to hear that as I don't want to get talked into buying that seat.

I am leaning towards the Xtensafix if they can confirm that we have the correct top tether fitting that is needed. It is 5 point harness until 25kg and then can be used as a booster until 36kg - after which point he'll be able to go straight onto the car's own seat. So although it's FF it might be a better purchase for us.

I'm not sure we'll fit 2 RF seats in tbh, dh is 6ft 4, so J has always been behind me because otherwise dh wouldn't fit in! I just hope we have the fittings for that seat now!
Ruby

Postby Yvette75 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Personally I would not even consider the Xtensafix. My reasons are as follows:

- At 2.5 his head is still very heavy in relation to the rest of him and the force of an accident could still lead to internal decapitation (i.e his spinal cord could break)
- The TWE is one of the most compact ERF seats and will in all probability fit behind the driver. Even if it doesn't you can probably put the infant carrier behind the driver to start with then won't need 2 ERF for around another 18 months or so, by which point you could maybe consider a high back booster for your oldest who will then be 4 years old and much more mature.
- The Swedes do not extended forward face using 5 point harnesses. They go straight from ERF to a seatbelt and high back booster. There reason for this - the neck loads in a 3 point belt are less then in a 5 point harness if little one sits correctly.
- The Xtensafix has a hefty price tag. It is more expensive than the TWE!
- The TWE fits most cars so could easily be moved if you need to use another car. The xtensafix requires a top tether which isn't possible in a lot of cars.

Have I convinced you?! If you haven't seen it before have a look at a video called "Joel's journey" on youtube. Just watching this every so often means that I will ERF my children until they are too tall for an up to 25kg. I have just bought a third ERF seat so all three of mine can ERF and Christopher is 5 next month. He will hopefully be able to ERF until age 7/8.

Yvette

PS Why have the ICSC ruled out the other 6 up to 25kg seats?
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby shinycat » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Yvette, which 3 ERF seats do you have? I am sticking with our infant carrier for as long as I can get away with it as it is convenient if Ewan falls asleep in the car. The TWE was the only seat we could fit in our last car, we now have a slightly bigger one (Peugot 307), but Lorna's TWE still backs right up against the back of the passenger seat.
shinycat

Postby Yvette75 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:11 pm

We have TWE that will go in the front passenger seat (when Jessica outgrows the carrier), a Besafe Izi Combi behind and a Britax hi-way 2 in the middle rear seat. Emily goes in the Besafe and Christopher in the hi-way 2.

Also the Two Way Elite will take up less room when you put it in the more upright position. Have you looked at the Joie baby? It doesn't take up much more room than an infant carrier and could be used until Ewan hits 18kg then he could move into the TWE by which point Lorna would be 5/6 years old and could go into a high back booster.

Yvette75

Postby Ruby » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 pm

Oh Yvette you're messing with my head! ;) I know the idea is to keep them RF as long as possible.

The TWE and Xtensafix are the same price at the In Car Safety Centre - £220. I have told them we want to try both on Saturday.

I wish I'd known of a 25kg RF seat when I bought the BeSafe, then I wouldn't have this problem!
Ruby

Postby Yvette75 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:27 pm

Ruby,

If I was in your shoes and wanted to harness up to 25kg be it either forward or rear facing then I would buy the Two Way Elite as this gives you the flexibility to rear face for a little while longer then forward face if you need to due to space constraints later.

The ICSC ladies are fab. If you do buy the Xtensafix can you post some piccies as I am a bit of carseat nerd (in case you hadn't noticed!) and I haven't seen it in real life yet!

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby Ruby » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Well, I'm so glad we went up there today... It turns out the TWE would not work in our car with our child and our seat requirements, therefore the other bigger ERF seats wouldn't work either, so we got the Xtensafix! The ladies were fantastic trying different seats/positions etc. I'm really glad we went there.

The Xtensafix is sturdy with good protection and a comfortable seat for my boy. It is fitted with isofix, the seatbelt and a top tether - that baby ain't going nowhere! I'm much happier about the fit of the Xtensafix than I was with the way the TWE was squished in (and my driver's position having to be compromised). I know we've had to sacrifice the RF position but I'm happy that we got the best FF seat to do it with!

What's your email - I can send you a pic! :)
Ruby

Postby Yvette75 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Ruby,

So glad that you got a seat that works for you! I will PM you my e-mail address - I would love to see a picture!

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby Ruby » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Will email tomorrow, it's on my big camera. xx
Ruby

Postby shinycat » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:10 am

Those other seats are so big, it makes me wonder what car will fit them! The TWE was the only one we could fit in our car.
Thanks for your other reply Yvette. I am unsure about weights of my kids, had neither weighed for yonks.
shinycat

Postby dramaqueen27 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:10 am

Ladies!
I need some advice. My daughter is almost 5 and is still under 18kg so is still in her Britax First Class. Soon enough she will outgrow it and I need some advice on what to get next.
I will need to get 2 as she is in a Britax Prince in my parents car.
What do you think of the Britax Evolva? Its on special offer at mothercare at the mo. £75.

Thanks Rachel
ETA I have a ford focus just incase that matters...
Rachel (28)
Dx PCOS 2000
dramaqueen27

Postby Yvette75 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:23 pm

The evolva would just be used as a high back booster with seatbelt over 18kg. We will be buying the Britax Adventure for Christopher as it is very compact, a must for us with 3 children.

Yvette75

Postby sammykins » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Is there such a thing/website that exists whereby parents can enter their child(ren) and car seat requirements into a website, and be given a car that matches their requirements?
Or parents could enter their car model/make, the number of kids they have/car seat requirements, and be given the optimum solution as to what would fit in their car?

It's such a minefield, and obviously it would require extensive research and data collection, but I think it would be an awesome website!

No point to this post, just thinking about what car can fit 3 ERF car seats without it being a minibus!

sammykins

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood