Extended rear facing carseats and other carseat questions

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: Extended rear facing carseats and other carseat question

Postby Yvette75 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:36 pm

I like the look of the Besafe Izi Up and the Britax Kidfix SICT (which has extra side impact protection).
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby SilverLining » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Yvette. Is there any chance you can help me find a decent rear facing carseat for S? We had the M&P 9month-4 year and the straps are getting far too tight. We recently bought a Britax Adventure (?) high back booster standard seatbelt and I hate it! She managed to turn around and I freaked out! We have just bought a new car and it is not suitable for isofix. I thought we had it in our old car but never. Shows how much I know about cars. I am hoping Mothercare return the one we just bought. I would just like as much info as possible so I can find the perfect one. We have had a lol at local stockists but there are none in stock. I think we were looking or asking for the wrong thing though. If you can help when you have time. Thanks
Karina
SilverLining

Postby sammykins » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 pm

Karina, I'm sure Yvette will be over soon with seats, but in the meantime, I would give the In Car Safety Centre a call in MK, they will be able to advise you as to the best seat for your car.
When I contacted Halfords about RF seats and they said they weren't stocking them as there was no demand for it, and they staff were not trained in installing them...

How much does S weigh? The car seat both Yvette and I have (Britax Two-Way Elite) has a 5-point harness up to 25kg forward or rear facing.

sammykins

Postby Yvette75 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Karina,

Samira has given you good advice. I would ring the In Car Safety Centre in Milton Keynes and ask their advice on seats.

The Britax Two Way Elite is probably your best bet as this goes forward and rearfacing up to 25kg and will fit a child rearfacing up to about 125-130cm, generally until age 6 or 7. If Shiloh will rearface then great, if she won't then this seat is forward facing with a 5 point harness up to 25kg which will see you through until she will seat properly in a high back booster and could then be used for Luna. It can be used from 9kg.

The Two Way Elite is £220 have a look at www.incarsafetycentre.co.uk it fits with tether straps to the seat rails and seat belt.

Other seats that rearface up to 25kg are the Axkids Kidzofix and Kidzone, Britax Multitech, Britax Maxway and Britax Hi-way. The Britax Two Way Elite however is the cheapest up to 25kg rearfacing seat, but is the only one that goes forward facing with a 5 point harness up to 25kg.

If you can I would visit the In Car Safety Centre to try the seats in your car. They now have a showroom in Essex too which opens at the weekends as well as Milton Keynes.

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby SilverLining » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks ladies. Can I ask about RF and the legs. I am a little concerned about the legs being squashed against the back seat. I will show DH the links and hopefully one day we can get to a car safety centre before Scotland. Is that carseat really £220? :shock:

P.S Shiloh is about 16kgs and would rear facing be ok in the front for her? She needs to be with her Daddy :roll:
SilverLining

Postby sammykins » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:14 am

Karina - you can have the TWE RF in the front seat as long as the passenger airbag is turned off. As she is 16kg, the seat would be in the upright position, rather than the reclined position, which would give her legs even more room.
To be honest, Safiya has plenty of room for her legs, and her seat is still reclined as she is not yet 13kg. And in any case, if leg room was an issue (which it is not), she'd sit cross-legged on her seat, which is still preferable to me than her FF.

And yes, the carseat really is £220. However, think about how much use you can get out of it. Personally, Safiya has only been in her infant carrier until she was 2, then straight into the TWE, and she'll be in there for at least another 3 years, so at least 4 years of use for us here, which works out quite cheap.

sammykins

Postby Yvette75 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:39 am

Karina - if you look on my profile pic on Facebook you will see Emily in the TWE in the front seat rear facing. If you want to rear face in the front you will need to try it out at the In Car Safety Centre as whilst we can install in the front reclined we can't get a more upright install in the front which is what you will need for Shiloh. You can get this in a lot of cars but it is dependent on the shape of the dashboard. It is fine for us with lots of littleys as when Emily needs more legroom we will move her into another ERF in the back and have Jessica in the TWE in the front.

Yvette75

Postby SilverLining » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks Samira. I showed DH the link to the CSC and the Britax carseat and he said HOW MUCH?! lol. He did say going to the safety centre would be useful. He is a little unsure about rear facing, I think it may be as it is not as well known as FF. If I drove (maybe before I am 40) then I would definitely buy that seat but as we all very rarely go out together I am not as sure. Maybe he thinks we will need to buy 2?! Luna will be going into Shiloh's one when she will fit and that is FF.

Yes Yvette, I did have another look at your pic. DH did say 'oh wow'. Lets see what the CSC say and advise, maybe they can twist his arm ;)
SilverLining

Postby sammykins » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 am

Maybe you can buy 2 :) One for Shiloh as a FF seat (if your OH is not convinced about ERF), which is still much better than booster seats as she will be in a 5-point harness until 25kg, and then one for Luna when she outgrows her infant carrier (and this one could stay RF in the back of the car, and won't be a big deal for Luna as she will have never FF before).

Can you try and sell Shiloh's seat to get some pennies towards the seat?

Whatever you decide, the ICSC will be great (even over the phone for initial ideas) for advice :) xx

sammykins

Postby Yvette75 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Emily stayed in her infant carrier until two years old (she is 25th centile). I am thinking that you could just get one TWE, use it either rear facing for Shiloh if you are all happy with her rearfacing or FF with the 5 point harness until a year or so when Luna is outgrowing the infant carrier by which point Shiloh will be 5.5 years old and should sit sensibly in a high back booster. Rearfacing is always safest but the greatest benefit is when they are under 4 years old and their hit is very heavy in relation to their body.

Yvette75

Postby sammykins » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Yvette, on the TWE, where should the straps sit? Below or above the shoulders? I've just realised we haven't really adjusted them in a while, and I'm pretty sure they are now sitting just below shoulder level.
I could check in my manual, but have no idea where I've put it, and I'm sure you know the answer off the top of your head :)

sammykins

Postby Yvette75 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Samira,

Rearfacing carseats the straps must be BELOW or level with the shoulders. Try the next level up and see how that is otherwise it may be OK where it is.

For forward facing carseats straps need to be above or level with the shoulders.

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby sammykins » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:27 pm

Thanks Yvette :)

sammykins

Postby SilverLining » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Shiloh will not want to sit RF so to save hassles with her we have decided to get the Britax Evolva. It is a 5point harness which will stay with her until she is approx 11 years old. By her having this seat I feel more relaxed other than the Britax Adventure HBB that we bought a few week back. I am now hoping Mothercare will swap the Adventure and we pay the difference for the Evolva. Here's hoping anyway
SilverLining

Postby Yvette75 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Karina - how heavy is Shiloh? You MUST stop using the harness on the Evolva at 18kg, after which it is a HBB, much like the Adventure that you have.

Yvette75

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood