Extended rear facing carseats and other carseat questions

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: Extended rear facing carseats and other carseat question

Postby espoir » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Sicily, while I wouldn't have used my car seat as the main thing for out and about, if we were just going out for a short walk or to visit friends it was handy being able to take the car seat along with us, especially if the baby was sleeping. We didn't bother with a base, but I didn't enjoy the faffing about trying to get the seat belt around it, and can imagine it's even more difficult in a 3 door. Why not buy just the car seat and then have a few tries at strapping it in and then see if you feel it would be easier having a base to just clip it on?
espoir

Postby sammykins » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi ladies,

I am thinking ahead when DD2 will be out of her infant carrier (which I hope won't be for another 18 months!). Once she does, we'd like her to be in an ERF seat just like her big sister (who has a TWE). However, I am not sure we can fit another ERF seat in our car.
We have a Ford C-max, which has underfloor storage at the back, so any seat with a support leg is out of the question. Ford will not put a steel plate in the compartment and they don't have a filler either (that's what I was told).
At the moment, our TWE is leaning against the front passenger seat. We wouldn't be able to lean another against the driver seat as it needs to be moved forward and backwards depending on whether me or DH drives. Which also put fitting it on the middle rear seat out of the question as the front passenger seat and the driver seat are never at the same level. And fitting it on the front passenger seat (with airbag disabled) it not an option either as there is not enough space for it (due to the seat being quite forward to accomodate the TWE already in place behind it).

I can't think of any way to have a second TWE in our current car, and I'm thinking we will have to buy another car to fit 2 ERF seats. Am I missing an option? Thanks!

sammykins

Postby Yvette75 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:00 pm

Samira,

There are some ladies with c-max's on an ERF board that I post on. I have asked them your question. My first thought is would the support leg of the triofix miss the storage box - it sits very flush with the backseat and is as small as a cabriofix.

I'll let you know what they say.

Yvette
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby Yvette75 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Also just to let you all know that we are going to have 3 ERF seats in our car (VW Passat). We took a trip to the In Car Safety Centre last week and can fit a britax hi-way in the back middle seat. So we will have a TWE in the front passenger (for Emily for now but Jessica will move into this once she hits 9kg as we can only get a good install with it reclined), we have a besafe Izi Combi isofix behind the passenger seat then will have a Britax hi-way in the middle rear seat.

Yvette75

Postby sammykins » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks so much Yvette. Our car also doesn't have isofix points (it's from 2004), so we can only have belted seats. Sometimes I wonder why makers of family cars bother putting those underfloor storage boxes!!

sammykins

Postby Yvette75 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Samira,

this is the response I got:

"My mate has a cmax and has two twe, she and her hubby are above average height. She has had one twe in passenger seat with one behind that, two in the back next to each other and two in the back one on each outside seat "

Obviously with needing to move the driver's seat one behind that wouldn't work, but one behind each other on the passenger side might work if you put your TWE in the back in the more upright position which takes up less space than having it reclined?

The other option that springs to mind is the Britax First Class which goes rear facing up to 13kg but is much bigger than an infant carrier so would see your Maissa through to 13kg rearfacing (which would have seen Christopher through to age 4 and Emily is still only 11kg and she's a chunkier child than Christopher was), that would then be fine for Maissa until she is about 3 or so, which would mean that Safiya would be about 6.

The First Class is a bit more fiddly than the TWE as the seatbelt doesn't thread through neatly so it is in the way when you get them in and out but if you can get a decent install on the First Class then that would see you through and it only costs about £90. Also with the change in the law later this year, there will be a lot of rearfacing up to 15kg seats coming onto the market so that children can rearface to the new age by law which will be 15 months rather than 9 months.

Whatever you do, don't have a third just yet as then you really do have a carseat nightmare! (trust me, I know!)

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby Yvette75 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:34 pm

For Samira - another option from a reply I got:

"I've just swapped my TWE out of the c-max & put a triofix in. It fits well and is compact front to back. The support leg lies flush with the back seat and avoids the storage boxes. I would put the youngest child in TWE behind passenger seat as triofix has no recline. But as TWE rf to 25kg I'd swap the kids over when the oldest outgrows the 18kg rf limit of the triofix and keep them rf in the TWE to 25kg.
Both fit in cmax well and with triofix behind driver the drivers seat can be adjusted without affecting the ERF install. "

Yvette75

Postby sammykins » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:39 pm

Ooohh, thanks Yvette, something to think about. I suppose I'll have to have a seat which an ERF weight limit lower than the TWE anyway, as I don't think there is another legless seat that goes up to 25kg RF.
I'll look up the triofix :)

sammykins

Postby Yvette75 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Triofix is expensive but very compact and then converts to a HBB so would see Safiya through until age 11.

Yvette75

Postby Kasha » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Sammy dont know if its helpful or not for you but I have a brittax first class so thought I might share my experience of it. Wd've had it for about 10 mths I think. We paid more than £80 for it at the time, I think its come down in price. As far as I know it can be reR facing til 13kg which will be about 3yrs old for tig I think.... altho she is a bit smaller than caoimhe so maybe a bit longer. She is currently 23lbs which I think is about 10 kg and she fits well in it, her feet are just about touching the car seat at the back. I think she is happy in it as she has a mirror on the seat she can look in, and she never complains going in it. We will probably forward face her at 20 mths when the new baby is born, but only because we have to swap sides and the car seat belt on the other side is a bit awkward.
Like Yvette says it is fiddly to get in, but kiddicare do a video that is really nelpful. I got it kn in about 10 minutes and im not the best at it lol. The seatbelt does get in the way abot but you soon work it out. Im really happy with it and for themoney I do think its a bargain. Its quite high up too and tbh I find putting tig in the car much easier than strapping caoimhe into her seat. If tig wasa bit bigger I would be putting her in the maxi cosi and little man straight into it, but as it is im keeping her in it for Nother 12 mths before moving her up.

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby sammykins » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Thank you Kasha!

Got an email today from a friend who has a 12 month old and a 3-year old. She wants to move the 12-month old in the 3 year old's seat, and get a HBB for the 3-year old?!?!? I *think* I have convinced her not to...

sammykins

Postby Yvette75 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:36 pm

She wouldn't be alone if she did. My nephew was in a HBB at the age of just 2!!!!! I would trust Christopher in one now, but much before 4 then I wouldn't have trusted him to sit properly. HBBs are fine if the child knows to sit properly with their body straight, looking forward and don't mess with the seatbelt. My brother is adamant that my 2 year old nephew sat beautifully but I don't believe him. Emily, a few months back went through a week of escaping from a 5 pt harness in our TWE, I dread to think what she would have been like in a HBB! My nephew did hit 18kg at age 2 so they had to move him out of his group 1 FF seat but I did explain to my brother that he could buy a TWE and have it FF as at least then my nephew would be in a harness, but he dismissed that idea as he said that our TWE looked flimsy...

Yvette75

Postby SilverLining » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:52 pm

We are off to get Shiloh a new car seat at the weekend. She is roughly 38lbs and quite tall. Looking to get a high back booster (?). We now have a Zafira. Any suggestions on the better ones or ones to avoid? Thanks

Karina
SilverLining

Postby Yvette75 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Do you have isofix? If you do then it is always best to get an isofix high back booster as the seat will stay attached to the car in an accident rather than going forward with the child. Also means you don't have to belt the seat in when she isn't in it which you have to do with a just belted HBB as otherwise it would act like a missile in an accident. Main things to look for are that is a high back booster (not just a cushion) and that it has good side impact protection.

We haven't got to that stage yet as Christopher is only 28lb.

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby SilverLining » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:33 pm

Yes Yvette, we have isofix. Both cars seats now are that. DH did say to make sure the new one has as much side protection on like the rally cars. We will look in Mamas and Papas, Mothercare and Halfords so will see what they all have before we decide. Thanks Yvette.
SilverLining

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood