Extended rear facing carseats and other carseat questions

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: Extended rear facing carseats and other carseat question

Postby Yvette75 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:25 pm

Yes, it is safe provided the airbag is disabled. Christopher will be in the front rearfacing once number 3 arrives as we can't physically fit 3 carseats in the back of the car.
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby Debbs » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:20 am

Hi ladies.

My mother and father are getting 'grandparents car seats' for their ford fusion. We were advised by kiddicare to get group 1 car seats. Would anyone recommend these? We have group 1-2-3 seats ourselves but we found they dont recline very far for them to sleep but their comfy anyhows. Will a group 1 last us until their 4 or not as they seem more baby than ours? Just dont want them wasting their money. They have £100 to spend but that has to get 2 chairs.

Any suggestion ladies? There is a britax billy available in mothercare? Baby weavers on kiddicare. Or should we perserve with group 1-2-3?

Debbs
xxxxx
TTC since May/06
Sept/09 ICSI#1 Chem preg
Jan/10 FET#1 BFN
June/10 ICSI#2 BFN
Aug/10 FET#2 BFN
Jan/11 ICSI#3-BFP
NK cells, normal with elevated CD19 & CD5 immunes
Heterozygous+ PAI-1 gene polymorphism
Heterozygous+ MTHFR gene mutation
Debbs

Postby Yvette75 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:34 am

How big are your LOs now? Can you look in their red books and see how big they will be if they follow their centile lines at age 4?

Christopher is 4 now and is only 13kg and 92cm tall so still fits comfortably in a group 1 seat and would do until he is about 6/7. My nephew on the other hand is 20kg at 2 and half but about the same height as Christopher so has outgrown his group 1 seat in weight already. I don't have any experience of the seats you ask about as my 2 are in extended rear facing seats but I have not heard good things about baby weavers seats and would probably choose a britax seat ahead of a baby weavers one.

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby Debbs » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks Yvette.

Can see your due soon. Good luck!

Debbs
#xxxxx
TTC since May/06
Sept/09 ICSI#1 Chem preg
Jan/10 FET#1 BFN
June/10 ICSI#2 BFN
Aug/10 FET#2 BFN
Jan/11 ICSI#3-BFP
NK cells, normal with elevated CD19 & CD5 immunes
Heterozygous+ PAI-1 gene polymorphism
Heterozygous+ MTHFR gene mutation
Debbs

Postby Rach P » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:55 pm

Debbs, Alanis and Danté, at 15kg and 15.7kg, are still in group 1 seats and are 4 in December so they definitely won't be a waste of money as I wouldn't imagine that your two are huge.
Diagnosed 05
BFP 8/4/08 - Clomid #2 (100mg) - EDD 13/12/08
Alanis & Danté born in hospital at 38+5 on 4/12/08 weighing 6lb6oz & 6lb13oz
Natural BFP 3/9/11 - EDD 2/5/12
Eden born in water at home at 39+4 on 29/4/12 weighing 7lb6oz

http://thiswomansworkblog.blogspot.com/
Rach P

Postby michelle79 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi
Just wondering how high above the top of the group 1 seat the head can be before you need to move a child up? Daniel is way below the weight limits at 14.6kg and I would be happy for him to stay in this seat for as long as possible but he is 98cm with a long body. Any advice?
Michelle x
TTC since May 08
1st round clomid 100mg - BFP 31/10/08

michelle79

Postby Yvette75 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:38 am

Best to check the instruction manual for the seat that you have, but most group 1 seats are fine provided the straps are coming from above his shoulders and his eye line is below the top of the seat.

For group 0 infant carriers the top of their head must be below the top of the seat.

Yvette75

Postby *~*PINKPIXIE*~* » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:55 am

I'm starting to research the next stage car seat for Harry (high back booster) - although he's not ready to move up yet I like to have done loads of research in advance, choose a couple of seats that fit the bill and then start waiting for a good offer to come along that I can snap up! (especially as I'll be buying 2 of whatever I choose for my car and for my parents car)

I have discounted a plain old booster, and want a high back one as I gather that is the safest option. But I'd got it into my head that they cost a lot less than it now seems they do. The more I read, the more sucked in I get to the safety blurb of the more expensive (c. £100-£160) seats by Britax and Maxi Cosi. I'm wondering, is this 'marketing' or are these seats really much safer than the bog standard high back boosters?

If they are, then that is what I will buy, of course. My boys currently have top of the range isofix car seats (9m - c.4yrs), so I'm not into scrimping on car safety. I'm just surprised to find that the next stage seats I'm thinking I 'need' are comparable prices to the last stage seats! Especially as his friends, who are all already in high back boosters, all seem to have got theirs courtesy of their local supermarket for not much money at all...!

Advice, please?
Miracle #1 - OD, 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, Cyclogest

Miracle #2 - 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, HCG injection, Cyclogest, Junior aspirin

Natural, surprise pregnancy Dec 2015, MMC Jan 2016
*~*PINKPIXIE*~*

Postby Yvette75 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:29 pm

We are along way off HBB as Christopher is only 13kg but from the research i've done so far (yes I am very sad over all things carseat!) then I would be definitely looking an isofix one (assuming you have isofix) and I like the look of the Besafe one that rotates into the centre of the car during an accident. If you don't buy an isofix one then you must belt it into the car when not in use as otherwise it will act as a very heavy missile in an accident.

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby Lenny » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:35 pm

*~*PINKPIXIE*~* wrote:I'm starting to research the next stage car seat for Harry (high back booster) - although he's not ready to move up yet I like to have done loads of research in advance, choose a couple of seats that fit the bill and then start waiting for a good offer to come along that I can snap up! (especially as I'll be buying 2 of whatever I choose for my car and for my parents car)

I have discounted a plain old booster, and want a high back one as I gather that is the safest option. But I'd got it into my head that they cost a lot less than it now seems they do. The more I read, the more sucked in I get to the safety blurb of the more expensive (c. £100-£160) seats by Britax and Maxi Cosi. I'm wondering, is this 'marketing' or are these seats really much safer than the bog standard high back boosters?

If they are, then that is what I will buy, of course. My boys currently have top of the range isofix car seats (9m - c.4yrs), so I'm not into scrimping on car safety. I'm just surprised to find that the next stage seats I'm thinking I 'need' are comparable prices to the last stage seats! Especially as his friends, who are all already in high back boosters, all seem to have got theirs courtesy of their local supermarket for not much money at all...!

Advice, please?

We don't have isofix & so have bought the Maxi Cosi Rodi AirProtect high back booster which secures with the seatbelt. It gets a good safety review from Which? and has a lot of head protection and is very adjustable particularly for good seatbelt positioning. My DS2 stayed in his stage 1 seat until he was 4 and a half and was just heavy enough to move into a HBB, he is on the small side so getting a good seatbelt position was important for us.
We got the black one as for some reason it was about £25 cheaper than the other colours
If you remind yourself that these seats are expected to last until the kids are around 12, then £100-ish is good value for money I think.
1st son born 2008 after 3rd cycle of Puregon injections

2nd son born 2009 after shock natural BFP
Lenny

Postby Kasha » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi girls just a quick question about car seats for older children. Caoimhe will be 4 next month. She is about 32lb (14.5kg or so I think) last time I weighed her (a couple of months ago)
. I've been looking at getting her a new car seat for my mums car, as she is getting a bit big for the maxi cost priori and Teaghan is outgrowing her infant carrier too! When I've looked up 4-11yr car seats they are simple boosters. Is this right? Does anyone know what the weight limit is? I'm on my phone so can't really do a good search!
She won't be going on long journeys, just the odd drop off/pick up from nursery. And we have always said if they are planning to take the girls out for the day then we will put our seats in their car.
Any advice greatly received!

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Yvette75 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:17 pm

If you are looking for a booster seat then whatever you do don't buy a simple sit on booster cushion as they offer no protection and really shouldn't be sold. High back boosters offer much better protection. The minimum weight limit for a high back booster is 15kg (this weight is with clothes on). Below 15kg (and up to 18kg) it is a group 1 seat.

HTH,

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby sicily » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:58 am

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice on carseats! We don't use the car much as we live in the middle of London but will use it for trips to grandparents 1.5 hrs away and small errands around town. Otherwise planning on mainly public transport.

I'm quite limited because of my small 3 door ford ka and my bugaboo bee buggy, which means I can basically get a maxicosi pebble or cabriofix which will fit onto the bugaboo bee with adaptors. Both of those will also fit into the back of my car with either seatbelt or a base (not an isofix though).

I'm wondering though, how often I will actually get the carseat out of the car and put it onto the buggy - do people tend to do that or do they mainly lift the baby out of the carseat and put them straight into the buggy? Will it be harder to lift the baby in and out of the carseat (especially when sleeping) or to lift the carseat in and out of the car? If the carseat is mainly going to stay in the car and I lift the baby in and out, then I'm thinking I have less need for the expensive base?

It's all a bit confusing with all the choice and not really knowing how much we'll use the car. At the moment i use it everyday for work but when baby comes I'll be doing a lot more locally and on PT.

Thanks in advance! X
sicily

Postby Yvette75 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:14 pm

The only time we used the carseat on the buggy wheels was to take Emily from the car to nursery when she was 12-18 months old as it meant that DH had a spare hand to hold onto Christopher and could also put the children's bags in the buggy basket. Other than that we haven't ever really bothered with it as one of my pet hates is children out for the day in a carseat.

However, with a 3 door car you would have to climb into the back to strap your LO in whereas with a base you could fasten them in outside the car then put the seat on so you may find it useful in that respect.

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby sicily » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks yvette, good to know! X
sicily

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood