Extended rear facing carseats and other carseat questions

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby Ruby » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:31 am

We chose ours because we wanted isofix and it has a support leg instead of the tethers.
Natural BFP 8.7.10, EDD 11.3.11, Baby Boy born 5.3.11
Surprise Natural BFP 28.01.13, EDD 5.10.13, Baby Girl born 13.9.13
Ruby

Postby glitterjo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:57 pm

How funny, I just noticed this post - we have an appointment at the In Car Safety Centre in MK on Saturday to get R's next car seat!
ImageImage
glitterjo

Postby sammykins » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi ladies,

Yvette - have you got your new car seat? Did you go for the TWE in the end?

Glitterjo - how did you get on yesterday? Do you have your new seat?

I'm tired of trying to find a car seat for our car! You'd think that makers of family cars would take these things into consideration.

We've got underfloor storage compartments, and the advice is so confusing. I have read that:

- because of the compartments, we cannot use seats with a prop leg
- we might be able to use seats with a prop leg if we fill or reinforce the compartments, or if the prop leg can reach to the bottom of the compartments
- we should use seats without leg props, but those WITH leg props are safer.

I really wanted the Britax Multi-Tech, but I don't know that the leg is long enough, and I haven't been able to find anything from Britax saying that using their seats on a filled/reinforced storage compartment would be safe (much like the advice from BeSafe).

Finally, would it be possible to make this thread a sticky to discuss all things car-seat related?

Thanks!

sammykins

Postby Yvette75 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Samira,

We haven't yet bought the TWE for Christopher as it now looks like we will need to have 3 carseats later in the year so I may have to have him forward facing out of necessity to fit them all in :( but he will be 4 by then. He only weighs 12kg now so it is going to have to be a group 1 carseat whatever as he will be too light for a high back booster.

I would say that if you fill the storage compartments with the blocks/polysterine that that would be OK for the Multitech or the Besafe - ccan you call and ask the In Car Safety Centre for their advice?

Yvette
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby sammykins » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:10 pm

Thanks Yvette.

Yes, I'll give them a call tomorrow. I already contacted them by email and they told me the only seat for our car was the TWE, but I will specifically ask them about using the Multi-Tech on filled-in compartments.
I might also contact Britax directly and see what they say.

sammykins

Postby Rach P » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Yvette looks like you will be joining me on the carseat issue. :wink: If we can do with our car seats what you and I were discussing the other day then you may be able to borrow one of our Tobis save forking out for one.
Diagnosed 05
BFP 8/4/08 - Clomid #2 (100mg) - EDD 13/12/08
Alanis & Danté born in hospital at 38+5 on 4/12/08 weighing 6lb6oz & 6lb13oz
Natural BFP 3/9/11 - EDD 2/5/12
Eden born in water at home at 39+4 on 29/4/12 weighing 7lb6oz

http://thiswomansworkblog.blogspot.com/
Rach P

Postby Yvette75 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks Rach, that is so generous, I may take you up on the offer as provided he grows he won't need a group 1 seat for too long. I am trying not to think about it too much at the moment as carseats are just making my head hurt!

Yvette75

Postby Sammi » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:51 pm

I *think* it is now sticky ladies x
No cycle for me, male factor infertility for H. Clomid resistant.

IVF#1 July/August 2013 at Bourn Hall - 35 eggs collected, 22 fertilised and frozen due to OHSS.
FET#1 December 2013 - BFP on Christmas Day!

It's going to be alright in the end. If it's not alright it's not the end.
Sammi
Verity Admin

Postby sammykins » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:26 pm

Thank you Sammi!!

sammykins

Postby Yvette75 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Thanks Sammi!

I've amended the title so it covers all carseat questions.

Yvette75

Postby sammykins » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Well, I contacted Britax and they do not recommend the use of their car seats with filled-in compartments.

So I called the ICSC and they recommended the TWE again, so we will be going with this one.

I need to call them again tomorrow and see if we *have to* go there to have it fitted, or if we can order online (which we can) and fit it ourselves with their installation video. Alternatively, I'll check the ERF retailer by me and see if they would be able to fit it (if the ICSC insist that it should be professonally fitted) even though they do not stock it.

sammykins

Postby Yvette75 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:03 pm

The in car safety centre in MK will post the TWE out to you. There is a video on their website on how to fit it and they will give you advice over the phone too.

Yvette75

Postby *~*PINKPIXIE*~* » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:26 pm

Hello, I have a car seat question too. But before I ask, congratulations Yvette, I've only just seen your announcement!!! :D

Harry is only (nearly) 3 at the moment (but very small and light for his age - I'm not sure exactly what he weighs these days, I'd guess around 28lb and he's easily one of the smallest his age at nursery). Edward is nearly 9 months.

Harry is currently in a Maxi Cosi Priorifix, and we have a second one of these permanently installed in my parents car for when they have the boys - Edward is in his infant carrier still and I hope will be until he's 12-15 months due to the rear facing issue. Having said that, he's looking a bit squashed already...

Once Edward is ready, we plan to take my parents Priorifix back for Edward (I'd estimate between April and June this year). My parents have them both one day a week and so once this happens I will need to move both car seats from my car to my parents car every Monday morning and back again on Monday evening - a problem partly because I don't have the time as I'm on a sticky wicket to get to work on time as it is and because my dad is kicking up a bit of a fuss about it and wants me to fork out for another 2 car seats, but he will do it in the interim.

Therefore as soon as Harry turns 4 I want to get him into the next seat up, where I will buy two new car seats so we have a new car seat and a Priorifix and my parents have the same. But my concerns are:

* What are the (good) options for the next stage car seat?
* As he is small and light for his age, will this be safe from age 4?

Sorry that was a bit of an essay!
Miracle #1 - OD, 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, Cyclogest

Miracle #2 - 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, HCG injection, Cyclogest, Junior aspirin

Natural, surprise pregnancy Dec 2015, MMC Jan 2016
*~*PINKPIXIE*~*

Postby michelle79 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:39 pm

Claire-could you maybe buy one of the stage 1-2-3 carseats for Harry when Edward moves into the priorifix then when he is big enough/heavy enough use it as a stage 2 the 3 seat and then when Edward keep a priorifix in each car and just move the new seat across??Not sure if that would work for you?
Michelle x
TTC since May 08
1st round clomid 100mg - BFP 31/10/08

michelle79

Postby Yvette75 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Claire,

Thank you for the congrats. Still sinking in!

You can't put Harry in a HBB until he weighs a minimum of 15kg which may not be until he is 5. Christopher is a littley too, 27lb at age 3 and half and I am going to need to keep him in a group 1 seat for a good while yet.

As Michelle said I would look at getting a 1-2-3 seat such as the Britax Evolva for your parents car for Harry as at least that way it could be used later as a HBB. You could do the same for Edward when he outgrows the infant carrier then when Harry is big enough for a group 2 seat have one of 1-2-3s in your car and one in your parents car, if that makes sense.

Not sure how big Edward is but you may be able to keep him in the infant carrier for longer than you think, even if only with the grandparents as that could save you buying another seat. Emily only weighs about 20lb at 16.5 months and still in her infant carrier and will be until I sort out my carseat dilemma or she outgrows it which won't be before she is at least 2.

Yvette

Yvette75

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood