dealing with LOs with allergies

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: dealing with LOs with allergies

Postby Steph Pet! » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:25 am

Crikey was she....that's mad...well tis up to u then pet whether u give her soya or not she can have it as a drink now...

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Debbs » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:38 pm

Thanks Steph that helps loads.

Platinum - I will do hun. Got what I wanted at moment but will post next time Im stuck. Thanks. You all ok?

Kelly - Wow time does fly doesnt it? How you feeling anyway? You must be sooooooo happy.

Debbs
xxxxx
TTC since May/06
Sept/09 ICSI#1 Chem preg
Jan/10 FET#1 BFN
June/10 ICSI#2 BFN
Aug/10 FET#2 BFN
Jan/11 ICSI#3-BFP
NK cells, normal with elevated CD19 & CD5 immunes
Heterozygous+ PAI-1 gene polymorphism
Heterozygous+ MTHFR gene mutation
Debbs

Postby kelly230977 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks Steph think i'll speak to GP 1st.

Debbs I am thanks but scared too, even did another CB Digital yesterday to check it had gone to 3+

How are your two doing? xx
Our natural miracle DD Olivia Beth born 14/02/2010 after 3yr ttc. 2mc, 9 cycles clomid, OD and IVF

2nd natural miracle due 7th Nov 2012Image
kelly230977

Postby wishing » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:49 am

Hi everyone just an update. Callum had Aptamil Pepti top ups for 2 1/2 weeks or so but his reflux has become hirrendous, turns out hes also allergic to the milk in Pepti too, we tried Nutramigen for a few days but a different dietician said that he is likely to react to that too as he is obviously sensitive due to reacting to my milk and the hydrolysed formula Pepti.
We now have an amino acid based formula neocate, we are introducing it by mixing with my EBM as he doesn't like it, a tough combination of fussing and refusal with reflux aswell as because of taste!
Hoping the dairy gets out of his system soon and he improves.

Wishing x
TTC since Sep 2008. Diagnosed PCOS 28/04/09
12 cycles clomid August 09 - January 11
July 10 HSG
January 11 Being referred for IVF.
20/02/11 BFP!!! on clomid cycle No 12
17/03/11 early scan :-) saw our teeny tiny baby & heart beat 7+4
19/04/11 dating scan, amazing!!! dated 13+1
20 week scan was amazing :-)
8/11/11 our beautiful baby boy Callum arrived!
wishing

Postby Steph Pet! » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Awe bless him....Harry was the same hun couldn't tolerate Pepti (despite Archie being ok on it) but Nutramigen did it for us....I don't understand why the dietitian said he'd react to Nutramigen too mind? It takes 2 weeks for the dairy to leave his system totally so stick with it pet...there is nothing at all in neocate that could upset him so fc it works...

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Debbs » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:31 pm

Lottie is on Neocate as well and likes it. She absolutely hated the Nutramigen though. Due to all the milk changes (nutriprem powder then liquid, then Nutramigen with vanilla added, then banana milkshake added, rusk added, and now neocate all down to dietician I add!!!) Lottie had a thing with feeding. What I did was try to left her wanting. It may sound cruel but it worked so quickly. When we brought the bottle to her she would scream so I just sat her down and didnt try to feed her at all. When she was calm I used to play with the bottle teasing her by putting it to her lips and pulling it away, ping it against her lips making noises etc all making her happy and like what I was doing with the bottle. While doing this bits and pieces used to leak out and she would taste that it was different to the others.
Sometimes she would then want some so I would let her feed as much as she wanted. When she stopped burp her and offer her more. If she started to cry and didnt want it the bottle went and I never offered it again until next feed. It was hard and I cried continually worried she wasnt getting enough goodness, would lose weight and go back to hospital. The worst was when she was tired and refused the bottle entirelly and wanted to go to sleep.

Doc told me that it wont be the milk change that will be problem its trying to change all the learnt behaviour from it, boy wasnt it! Hope that things get better soon hun.

Were back on the carobell. We ran out and had hoped that we wouldnt need more but looks like we do. Lottie is continually sick without it so hopefully it will kick in soon. Anyone else on this?

Debbs
xxxxx
TTC since May/06
Sept/09 ICSI#1 Chem preg
Jan/10 FET#1 BFN
June/10 ICSI#2 BFN
Aug/10 FET#2 BFN
Jan/11 ICSI#3-BFP
NK cells, normal with elevated CD19 & CD5 immunes
Heterozygous+ PAI-1 gene polymorphism
Heterozygous+ MTHFR gene mutation
Debbs

Postby wishing » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Things seem to have improved a bit, thank god!

It is clear too that once the allergic symptoms & soreness caused by the dairy Callum has improved again, it's such a relief!
Things arent perfect yet and he has a cold (but is still feeding much better than he was!) which keeps making him sick again!
Also we went back to doing full feeds of neocate / my milk as I wasnt convinced it was the taste he had a problem with and it wasnt taste, it was all feeds in general as he was suffering pain bless him. Although I do also feel like you Debbs that Callum has learnt that bottle = pain and would therefore scream and arch and wriggle just by seeing the bottle come to him!

That sounds like a good idea Debbs, poor Lottie must have been so confused with all the milks, sounds like you did right and now she is settled on the right one.
July 10 HSG
wishing

Postby wishing » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:56 pm

We are still having a nightmare, Callum has excessive painful wind which we think is the cause of screaming and refusal at every feed! It just seems to have got worse I just can't understand! He isn't that well at the mo which isn't helping but even prior to this, he just shouldn't be that way!
It's getting to me that he is almost 6 months and only for 1 of those was he not suffering! I just don't know what I can do.
I'm going to be stopping BF very soon but I'm still slightly afraid incase there's a prob with neocate, it's just I've thought that when I was exclusively BF dairy free he was pain free and just spitting up lots but now he is in alot of pain again, I e oly just thought of this tho so not mentioned it to anyone before.
Do you think infacol might help? It's definitely different to when he was on dairy but something is still a problem.
I'm really feeling it tonight after cleaning up sick and having him scream & scream :-(
July 10 HSG
wishing

Postby Kasha » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi ladies, just wanting to sound something out really. Wondered what you think?
Teaghan has a spotty rash around ger mouth and under her nose. It comes and goes and she's had it a while. It was a bit more noticable yesterday and i mentioned it to the hv who didnt know what it was. She thought it was probably baby wipes even tho i dont roften use them on her face and her skin is perfect everywhere else. She then thoughtit could be a reaction to something ive eaten or washed my underwear in since i bf but nothing has changed, and i wash all our stuff together.
I really can't think of anything it could be! Grasping at straws a little i was wondering could it be a food allergy? Although i would expect other symptoms too?
I do give her potential allergens, but they are on an almost daily basis, or 2-3 times a wk if not. She has no other symptoms really. She doesn't have diarrhoea, she doesn't vomit, she's not windy and apart from the spotty rash (it looks like she's been glue sniffing!) she doesn't have any other rash snywhere. She only has nappy rash very seldom and normally just as she's cutting a tooth (i can count on one hand how many times i've had to crack open the metanium really) s he doesn't have eczema.
Any ideas?? Thanks!

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Steph Pet! » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:26 pm

Harry gets a rash like this when I give him crackers to eat....it says they have sesame seeds in them so my theory is that he can't have those. I'm going to speak to the dietitian next time we go but it sounds very similar. Keep an eye on what happens after she has eaten and see if you can link it to a certain food hun....

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Kasha » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:11 pm

Thx Steph. I'll see if there's any link. She has absolutely no other symptoms at all. Am hoping its just a bit of eczema tbh lol Caoimhe had it on her cheeks when she was just a bit ypunger than Teaghan is. But i'll try and see of it links to anything she eats.
How soon after he eats the crackers does he get it?

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Steph Pet! » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:32 pm

within minutes hun

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Kasha » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:39 pm

Ok. She had just had her dinner, which was a ham sandwich and a peach. She'd had a pancake for breakfast so had had flour already. Will keep an eye on it.

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Steph Pet! » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:15 pm

So we've got to the point where we're starting to challenge Archie with dairy to see how he reacts...after seeing the dietitian on Fri she told us to start him with a digestive biccie which we did on Sat afternoon and so far so good....if I get to tomorrow and he's not had a bad belly then we'll move onto the next stage. All she said was we need to start with baked good first rather than going straight for milk, cheese, butter etc....anyone got any suggestions what else I can try him with and how to do it...don't want him getting a taste for digestives :P

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Kasha » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:45 am

Great stuff Steph :)
No ideas, sorry maybe someone else can help?

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood