dealing with LOs with allergies

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: dealing with LOs with allergies

Postby Kasha » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:46 pm

Have you tried using baby shampoos? Caoimhe gets patches of eczema on her scalp too (clear latm thankfully) and when she does i go back to basics and use baby shampoo, sainsbury's gentle baby wash, or the sanex for kds wash. Do you have any idea what triggers it off?

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby kelly230977 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm using the sainsburys sensitive baby shampoo at the minute. Swapped it from Johnsons when it started. She just had a small patch on her back for a few months then it spread.
Could it be normal cows milk. I left her on formula until well after her 1st birthday so could have been around the time it started?

xx
Our natural miracle DD Olivia Beth born 14/02/2010 after 3yr ttc. 2mc, 9 cycles clomid, OD and IVF

2nd natural miracle due 7th Nov 2012Image
kelly230977

Postby Kasha » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:12 pm

Only way to know is to eliminate it, although she's probably been having cows milk in things for longer? Steph might have some advice on that.
I found that Johnsons was quite harsh on Caoimhe when she was little and her skin was better when I stopped using it. So it might even be something like that. We've just reintroduced it and she's fine now, tho she still isn't great with some brands of kids shampoos. Just like me really in that respect! With Caoimhe it tends to flare up as well when she's not been well.

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Steph Pet! » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Has she got any other signs that it might be the cows milk? Eczema certainly is one of the main things with Archie and I know when he's had something with milk in it as his skin flares up. Only way to know is to cut out the cows milk....it may just be a slight intolerance if it's since you introduced the cows milk into her diet. Do a 3 week elimination diet where u cut everything out...then introduce things 1 at a time 3 days apart and look for signs...pm me if I can help in any other way.

As Helen said it could be something like the Johnsons....I can only use sensitive baby shampoo on my two.

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby kelly230977 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks will give it a try x x
Our natural miracle DD Olivia Beth born 14/02/2010 after 3yr ttc. 2mc, 9 cycles clomid, OD and IVF

kelly230977

Postby Debbs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi ladies. Quick question for anyone with children with milk intolerance/allergy. I was wondering would you give your child soya yogurts now?I know your supposed to wait til 6months aren't you? Lottie is 6months but her corrected age isnt (see ticker). Also are there special kids soya yogurts? Any alternative to dairy ideas snack wise like this would be welcomed as well.

Thanks ladies

Debbs
xxxxx
TTC since May/06
Sept/09 ICSI#1 Chem preg
Jan/10 FET#1 BFN
June/10 ICSI#2 BFN
Aug/10 FET#2 BFN
Jan/11 ICSI#3-BFP
NK cells, normal with elevated CD19 & CD5 immunes
Heterozygous+ PAI-1 gene polymorphism
Heterozygous+ MTHFR gene mutation
Debbs

Postby Steph Pet! » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:19 pm

U know I think I would wait pet....I think Harry was about 7-8 months before I gave him soya anyway. There are no special kids soya yoghurts that I've found....asda do their own but we buy the Alpro ones...

Snack wise we have breadsticks, cereal bars (meant to be 12m+ but H had them as soon as he was ok with finger foods), organix biscuits, fruit, raisins, chopped up dried apricots, Ellas smoothie pouches.....list goes on....

Feel free to PM me if u want any advice for weaning....

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Debbs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Fab, thanks Steph. Had the feeling I should wait to be sure but sometimes you just want to rush it all dont you. Some more questions for you. lol
At the moment were doing 4 milk feeds a day offering them about 200mls each time.
Feed 1 is only milk.
Feed 2 we give them milk and then fruit.
Feed 3 milk and then something veggie.
Feed 4 milk and then cereal/porridge something or other.
(Swopped ceral to night and fruit morning as they were pooing in the night all the time!) lol

Trouble is they seem to be going off their milk and wanting food more. Also they seem to be hungry an hour before food at moment. Should I try introducing meat? Was going to try a little bit of fish/plaice? Give them fingers foods? (bit nervous about this cos of their corrected age)
Any ideas welcome. Also wondering if them going off their milk is just a stage?

Thanks.

Debbs
xxxxx
TTC since May/06
Sept/09 ICSI#1 Chem preg
Jan/10 FET#1 BFN
June/10 ICSI#2 BFN
Aug/10 FET#2 BFN
Jan/11 ICSI#3-BFP
Debbs

Postby Steph Pet! » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:42 pm

When you start introducing food they will naturally start dropping their milk hun so don't worry about that....as long as they're having about 20-24oz (or equivalent in food things) per day they're getting what they need. What times do they have their feeds?

I'm really not sure about things with the twins on whether to go on corrected age or actual age??? Meat is the same as soya...not until 6 months...maybe another lady with twins or a premmie can advise from a weaning POV?

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Debbs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:54 pm

Its a pain steph. Kids Paed says corrected age is right. Dietician says actual age cos they were only 8wks early and HV says . . . . . . oh thats right I dont bloody see her! I plump for the middle ground of 5 months. I def feel better about the milk thing now as they are having well over enough then.
They feed at 6.30-7am
10.30-11am
2.30-3pm
6-6.30pm (this feed is always early as they are always hungry and shattered.)

Going to hold off on meat as well then and just comtinue with what were doing. Guess they will go through fazes with food wont they.

Thanks hun, you've been a massive help.

Debbs
xxxxx
TTC since May/06
Sept/09 ICSI#1 Chem preg
Jan/10 FET#1 BFN
June/10 ICSI#2 BFN
Aug/10 FET#2 BFN
Jan/11 ICSI#3-BFP
Debbs

Postby Steph Pet! » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:57 pm

ah ok cool times help....once u get them on 3 decent meals a day swap the 2.30-3pm bottle for a snack....then do the same with the morning one but make the snack more 10.30am...

To give you an idea this is Harry's routine...

7am milk
8am brekkie
10.30am snack
12pm lunch
1pm very small bottle (trying to drop this one!)
3pm snack
5pm dinner
7pm bedtime milk

HTH?

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Platinum » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:12 am

Just a quick one for Debbs - I hardly look on this thread but am avoiding work! but maybe it's worth posting on the prem baby thread about when to introduce foods - it's a bit quiet on there at the moment but people tend to pop in and help if anything comes up.

We didn't have any problems with allergies, but as you know Elizabeth was 10 and a half weeks prem. We actually started weaning just before 6 months actual age (so not even 4 corrected) due to reflux and also due to her hating milk (at the time) so not taking enough (funny really as I was keen to wait for 6 months and even to do BLW but it wasn't to be). Obviously we took it slowly and watched carefully for signs of any problems but we were lucky. One justification is that although they were prem, the digestive systems were actually about 6 months old, because they'd been learning to digest milk since just a couple of days old. But I'm not stating that as fact by any means - I had trouble getting definitive answers too.

Platinum x
TTC#1 since Dec 06
Heterozygous for MTHFR; weak +ve for Lupus and IgG antibodies
IVF#2 (4th ET): 2 blastocysts, BFP 1/6/10! OHSS
Clexane 80mg, Aspirin 75mg, B12 3x50mcg, Metformin 4x500mg
Gestational diabetes
Elizabeth born prematurely by emergency C-section on 25/11/10 at 29+3, due to placental abruption, weighing 3lbs
Platinum

Postby kelly230977 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:16 am

Steph Olivia asks for milk when she wakes and before bed. Would you suggest soya milk? xx

kelly230977

Postby Steph Pet! » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:41 am

They can't drink soya milk as a drink before the age of 2 hun....and tbh I've never been happy about my two having too much soya as there are mixed reports out there about too much soya causing fertility probs later in life....very much postcode lottery on opinions tho!

You could go to the doc (if you have a good one) explain what you're doing and ask if they will give you a tub of dairy free formula (Aptamill Pepti prob best) to try her with (both mine are on it so they get the right calcium intake). Alternatively you can buy soya formula (which is ok over 6 months) in Boots I think....or try her on Oat milk....there is rice milk too which the dietitian told me about but then I read it contains arsenic so felt wrong giving it to a child lol!

Hope this helps?

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby kelly230977 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:16 am

Great thanks Steph I do have a good GP so will pay her a visit. Olivia was 2 last month but loves her milk xx

kelly230977

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood