dealing with LOs with allergies

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby thebuzz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:26 am

Liz - just a quickie to say my two could never eat baby rice or baby porridge as they were violently sick after. My HV told be I was making it up as they cant cause that type of reaction so either it was a major coincidence that both my children projectile vomited after eating rice or porridge or I was right. Sonny was a lot worse and couldnt eat rice for ages and you'd be surprised the number of baby foods that contain rice as a filler!

If Erin seems fine on everything else then stick with that for a while and avoid the things you know make her sick. Its possible its an allergy or it could just be her stomach to too immature for those things at the minute and she will be fine in a few months.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
[url=http://daisypath.com]
thebuzz

Postby Dottywot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Hello Ladies

I have just offered to make a friends LO's 1st birthday cake! However he is allergic to eggs, can anyone recommend a good cake recipe that doesn't need eggs! any hints or tips?

K :) x
Diagnosed - 2002
TTC for 5 years - BFP :) March 2008
Metformin - 23 October 2010
Dottywot
Local Group Leader

Postby DawnyB » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:06 pm

Ladies, its not for weeman I need a little advice, but for myself.

I have been advised by my gp to go dairy free as I seem to have developed a food intolerance to milk and milk products recently - thats been making me really quite unwell. Can you ladies advise me with some substitutes... more for cheese and yogurt than milk itself (I have never liked milk, and never been able to drink that much of it)

Thanks in advance!
MrsB was time for a name change :)

Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity

ImageImage

Ranty mum diary - my blog
DawnyB
Verity Admin

Postby Kasha » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:18 pm

Alpro soy do a dessert rather than a yoghurt which is really nice. In fact they have a website that might be worth a look at They do do yoghurt but I haven't tried it so don't know what it's like. You can get vegan cheese which is dairy free but you'll have to contact your local health food shop probably to find out where to get it from.

I'm after a bit of advice too please. having a bit of a time with Caoimhe's eczema again. it's only being her knees and a little patch on her face at the moment but behind her knees is red raw cracked and bleeding where she's scratched it. I've just started on the hydrocortisone since it's not as broken as it was but I'm not really happy using it when the skin is so sore. Anyone used steroid cream on broken skin? I have a new cream which was recommended to me by a pharmacist called eumocream to stop the itch and I've been giving her piriton before bed too. it's not getting much better and wondered if anyone had any ideas or tips please?

Only using fairy non bio, bathing her 2 to 3 times a week and only using wipes on her bum and hands. back on infacare and a gentle baby wash as well in the bath. Bit stuck really! It's been a few weeks now since it flared up and it's not usually this bad for this long.
Thanks in advance!

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Kasha » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:20 pm

KirstyJane wrote:Hello Ladies

I have just offered to make a friends LO's 1st birthday cake! However he is allergic to eggs, can anyone recommend a good cake recipe that doesn't need eggs! any hints or tips?

K :) x

I've got one somewhere in one of my recipe books. I'll try and dig it out over the weekend

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby cliveceltic » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:42 am

Mrs B, holland and barrat bigger stores that have a fridge and freezer section often sell dairy free cheese, usually made from soya. I struggled to find soya free too but not needing it now. Its not as good. I have a lactose intolerance but can have small amounts of things like cheese/chocolate before feeling the consequences. Cheese is ok apparently for lactose intolerance but not milk protein allergies.

As for skin, we have to stick with hydromol in heer bath, can get away with jihnsons natural bath cream to wash her with as well*, only if the hydromol is in the bath, then also have the cream and emmolient for when she breaks out. Fingers crossed we have been fine since we no longer need sun cream and since shes not wearing new clothes unwased on bare skin!

Anyway, just a quick update. We've been back on dairy for just over a month now and keira seems to be doing great, gaining a bit more weight and enjoying eating which is a big bonus. I am still slightly weary as she has had a runny nose since we went back to it, but has had her jabs and teeth since then too. She also has really pebble like poos as well, which are most unlike her. Will keep en eye though. She seems happy enough and is now sleeping better at night.

X
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby ShiningStar1980 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:20 pm

My DD has a milk protein allergy. Im waiting on the dietician appointment, but im freaking out about weaning now as everything contains milk!
Apart from fruit and veg, any other suggestions??
Baby Harris born at 27+6w, 2lb 9oz
ImageImage
Baby Orla born 37w2d, 8lb 0.5oz
ShiningStar1980

Postby Kasha » Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 am

Just had an email from a community called talkeczema. http://www.talkeczema.com/ They send out samples and information leaflets, we received them last year when we joined. I found it to be a very informative site, and the sample were good too, in fact one of the samples they sent i did actually go on to buy and use again (it was a lavender balm and it was really effective for sore skin)
Caoimhe's skin is pretty good atm, apart from having a coiple of patches in her hair (shampoo I think, need to experiement with which ones suit her, like mother like daughter :( ) so i am fairly hopeful she will grow out of it or at least have it only as mild as i do.

My only worry is that she will develop asthma at some point. No signs yet but my husband and all his siblings have it, as do some of their children. I guess only time will tell.

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Steph Pet! » Tue May 10, 2011 10:34 am

Shining just seen your post on here an that nobody replied....is everything ok...I didn't wean Archie dairy free as he was 1 before we picked it up properly but obv he is dairy free now but I am going to be weaning Harry dairy free and it sounds far more daunting that it really is....honest....pm me if you need any tips I've pretty much tried every alternative going!

What cream was it they sent Kasha? We find Aveeno brilliant with both our boys....it's natural oatmeal so there is nothing in it!

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Kasha » Tue May 10, 2011 11:36 am

It was an organic babies one http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/baby-salve-100ml.aspx apparently good for cracked nipples too (must remember that!)
I haven't heard of the aveeno cream, will try and remember that one. We haven't really needed anything stronger than a 'normal' emollient thankfully. Oilatum cream has done the job, and eumocream has worked for the itch but it is really mild at the moment, and has been for a few months. The lavender balm was really good when her skin was sore and cracked, particularly when it was in her ears, because it was quite loose and easy to apply with a cotton bud. I used it for nappy rash as well. Really must get around to ordering some more! It isn't cheap but i did get a money off voucher as well with the sample which helped.
Therew ere lots of other samples as well including one for surcare washing powder. We have been ok on fairy/persil but i know surcare is good because my stepdad uses it. He has psoriasis.

I haven't had to do the dairy free thing, but can imagine its not easy. Fortunately i knew my eczema is triggered by products like shampoo and soap (and nickel) so that's where i started with caoimhe, by eliminating stuff.

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby ShiningStar1980 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Orlas been dairy free for about 4 months now, however, me being a plonker the other night gave her a jar of food containing milk. She didnt throw up at all, but i was up the whole night checking on her all the time incase she had a reaction like before.
I spoke to her dietician about it and she said since there were no effects after she ate it, she may be out growing her allergy already.
I have been told to start introducing milk now, first in biscuit form then slowly building up to cooked milk in foods then cheese and yoghurt then cows milk as a drink when shes 1.
Has anyone been thru the weaning back onto milk process? What did you do?
Thanks.
Baby Harris born at 27+6w, 2lb 9oz
ImageImage
Baby Orla born 37w2d, 8lb 0.5oz
ShiningStar1980

Re: dealing with LOs with allergies

Postby wishing » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi everyone, doesn't look like this thread has been used in a while but Callum now has a cows milk protein allergy alongside his reflux, I an BF (expressed) so I am currently on a dairy exclusion diet, Callums fussing and discomfort seems to have improved but he is spitting up / vomiting so much still (lots but not projectile) even with Domperidone!
We also have Aptamil Pepti 1 for top ups, he's only had it 3/4 times so far he didn't like it at first, had a perfect feed 3rd time he had it but yesterday was not happy at all with it!

Have had a quick read through the last couple of pages and thanks for the info on Ecover washing up liquid, I have been using it for all Callums equipment and checked my bottle and it does contain Milk Whey so will switch to Fairy just incase!

I'm slightly scared about weaning, but I guess he won't miss what he's never had (unlike me!)
TTC since Sep 2008. Diagnosed PCOS 28/04/09
12 cycles clomid August 09 - January 11
July 10 HSG
January 11 Being referred for IVF.
20/02/11 BFP!!! on clomid cycle No 12
17/03/11 early scan :-) saw our teeny tiny baby & heart beat 7+4
19/04/11 dating scan, amazing!!! dated 13+1
20 week scan was amazing :-)
8/11/11 our beautiful baby boy Callum arrived!
wishing

Postby Steph Pet! » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:31 am

Hey hun,

I'm glad you've got a diagnosis for him....I did suspect that would be the case but glad you've got the backing to get it confirmed as it's not easy these days!

Re: weaning....I didn't wean Archie dairy free as we picked it up with him later but I've weaned Harry dairy free and honestly it's fine...I was a bit scared despite already having a CMPA kid in in the house but it's just about knowing the alternatives. I'm happy to do a list of what we use if it helps???

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby kelly230977 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:13 am

Hi ladies wonder if anyone has advise. Olivia has suffered with excema now for approx 9 months. We have tried everything and the only thing that works is Aveeno, we go through bottle after bottle and as long as we use twice daily it keeps her pretty much clear. The problem I'm having is her scalp, tried different sensitive shampoos and a bright pink one from GP but none seem to work, I'm coating her head every other night with the Aveeno and although improved not great. Any ideas on shampoo?

xx
Our natural miracle DD Olivia Beth born 14/02/2010 after 3yr ttc. 2mc, 9 cycles clomid, OD and IVF

2nd natural miracle due 7th Nov 2012Image
kelly230977

Postby Steph Pet! » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:01 pm

have u tried dentinox cradle cap shampoo pet?

or T-Gel my Mum uses that...not sure u can use it on babies?

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood