dealing with LOs with allergies

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby cliveceltic » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi. Went to dietician today and she has given us a prescription of 1 tin of aptamil pepti to try. The neocate didn't go down well at all in food except for custard (birds with sugar) and jelly (made from cubes). She refuses all other food with it in. She still drinks the nutramigen as I didn't want to change this over til I know she likes it.

Please tell me the pepti tastes/smells better. We don't get it til next week as the prescription request went to the gp then it takes 48 ours to get it signed off then the chemist has to order it in taking another 24 hours.

She also gave me a tester pack of neocate nutra but I can't work out what it is an not sure i will try it til after the pepti. I think its a food supplement for adding to food not drink.

We'll be challenging cows milk in a couple of months and I need to get her eating/drinking something that tastes remotely similar! I also need to get her off baby cereal but will not make weetabix or others with water/juice. We already heap on the fruit puree!

The dietician said the pepti is less hydrolysed and to be aware of this for any reactions. I don't think her allergy is really sensitive (I accidently gave her tomato and cheese organix crisps but only a few each day) so fingers crossed.
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby cazjones » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Fingers crossed she takes to the pepti. We have the pepti junior which is hydrolysed and is lactose free and she seems to have taken to it fine and drinks 7 ozs each bottle no problem. I dont know if it tastes better though. What reaction did Keira have to dairy?

Lucy's skin has improved loads. There are very few red patches now and the rest if her skin is lovely. It does seem to itch her though still a bit but it is nothing compared to what it was. Still waiting for our appointment from hospital.

Is there any alternative to cheese that you ladies have used? Just thinking about weaning and I used to do loads of recipes with cheese in for harry and wondered if there was a substitute out there?

cazxx

cazjones

Postby Steph Pet! » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Alternative cheeses....found loads...tried a few.

Scheese is one....Cheezly is another....and there are soya Pure cheese slices...they're all good for different recipes. I find the Cheezly one goes really rubbery as a cheese sauce but is good for mixing into a risotto or something...scheese one is good for cheese sauce but Arch didn't like the taste of it.

Yet to try any others but health food shops have loads!

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby cliveceltic » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:45 pm

Keira's main reaction was grunting and groaning loads and generally beimg bad tempered and upset (not the hours a colicky baby cries for) and it wasn't til after we changed and tried re challending that we realised how grumpy it made her. Basically digestion related tummy pains. Again, when we changhed her cradle cap went from her head and eye brows and her patchy skin cleared up so that was obviously a symptom. We tried soya bit it gave her the runs quite badly. As for cheese, i did wonder if there was anything. I must try the health food shop as the dietician mentioned trying oat milk in cooking and the supermarkets only keep big cartons. Steph, are those cheese soya based or something else? Weaning hasn't been too bad as we give plenty carbs in pasta, rice and bread as well as meat, fish fruit and veg but it is really hard to get the fats from dairy into her so we make custard from formula and jelly. Tried other things without success but the pepti might help there. I want to start making some sponge cakes/brownies for her to have with custard as we always do fruit and poor girl gets nothing nice. I did look in holland and barrat years ago when i went dairy free but my lactose intolerance means certain dairy produxts are ok in certain amounts, so i just eat what i know i can tolerate.
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby *~*PINKPIXIE*~* » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Wonder if I could pick you ladies brains.

When Harry was little, maybe 3 months old, he had a little bit of eczema, maybe the odd patch here or there, didn't last long either and he's not had any for a good year. He also had (and still does a bit) cradle cap. Neither of these things seemed like a big deal to me and something lots of babies seemed to have at the time.

Anyway, for the past week or two he's got about 10 patches of eczema on his shoulders and chest/tummy. We've changed to Junior Oilatum in the bath and put eczema cream on but it's not going away.

We were starting to put him onto a dairy free diet due to constant ear infections incase there was a dairy issue (he was also a reflux baby) but the ear infections stopped (although he has been left with glue ear, waiting to find out if that's going to need treating) so we continued with the dairy again and no repeat ear infections.

Could this be another link to dairy? Why has the eczema returned and much worse than the original eczema? Before I go to the doctors I'd appreciate some words of wisdom to ensure I don't get fobbed off!!

Thanks,

Claire x
Miracle #1 - OD, 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, Cyclogest

Miracle #2 - 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, HCG injection, Cyclogest, Junior aspirin

Natural, surprise pregnancy Dec 2015, MMC Jan 2016
*~*PINKPIXIE*~*

Postby cliveceltic » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:28 am

Perhaps he's reacting to the junior oilatum. Keira's skin flare us when we use johnsons's baby wash and bublle bath (except the naturals range which is for dry skin), swimming can cause it to flare and its even worse when she wears something that hasn't been washed first. On holiday her whole torso was red and imnflamed like sandpaper basically because she's just got a load of new dresses which i didn't wash first coz i thought she's wear her vests but it was too hot to! We use hydromol in her bath, wash her with the johnson's natiurals body wash and then use hydromol cream if she's big patches like on holiday as it rubs in better on big areas. When she gets paytches, usually in her wrist and am creases and odd bits on her tummy and back, we use the hydromol emolient. Her face is permanantly dry at the moment but i am guessing baby wiping her down after eating doesn't help. The dairy was definitley the cause of keira's cradle cap hair and eyesbrows. Shes not had a flake since going dairy free.
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby GRACEY » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Just thought I should let you know about Ecover washing up liquid. My little one started reacting to something the other week - coming up in hives and patchy eczema (though not terribly) – and we couldn’t work out what it was as we hadn’t changed anything in his diet (he’s allergic to cow’s milk protein, eggs, wheat and peanuts) but it seemed to come up at home after eating and drinking. It was only after going through everything new that we’d bought recently that we thought of Ecover washing up liquid. Lo and behold, when I look at the ingredients, I noticed that it contains milk whey! And even with thorough rinsing, his skin was still reacting. Although, he has an extreme allergy to dairy and others may not react to the same degree, I thought I should bring it to people’s attention.

Grace
BFP 31st December 2007 - Baby no.1 born 16th Sept 2008
TTC since July 2006
Started Metformin August 2007

2ND BFP 31ST October 2009 (conceived naturally) - baby no.2 due 29th June 2010
GRACEY

Postby Doobykat » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Hi ladies,

Can I just ask what first reactions people noticed to indicate a dairy intolerance?
I'm starting to wonder if we're going to have trouble with Erin.
A couple of weeks ago, we tried her on the Cow & Gate baby fruity porridge. Around 2-3hrs after she'd eaten it, she was really violently sick & bringing up just bile in the end. At the time, we thought it was a tummy bug but the same thing happened when we gave it to her again several days later :? So since then, we've steered clear of it.

Since getting Erin weighed last week, the HV said that now that Erin is 6 months old, I should start to introduce dairy products into her diet.
So, today I decided I would make her a "cream of" puree (basically puree with a little cow's milk and a little baby rice in it). I only put in 1 teaspoon of milk in her puree at lunch time but low & behold, 2.5hrs later, while we were at the post office, projectile vomit of her lunch everywhere :? :?

Having checked the porridge label, there is powdered skimmed milk in it too, so it would seem to indicate that the milk is the problem, as everything else in the puree mix Erin had today she'd had several times before without a problem, with the exception of the milk.

I don't think that it's a lactose problem, given that breast milk is full of lactose and she doesn't have a problem with that. So I'm thinking it's likely a problem with dairy or the proteins in the milk.
I'm really not sure now whether to try her on yogurt or cheese. Has anyone else's LO been ok with these when not ok with cow's milk?

Dooby x
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1db91a
MM/C Dec 2008 - 10w
MM/C Aug 2012 - 14w
Doobykat

Postby cazjones » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:49 am

Hi ladies

Dooby - We dont get the same reactions that you seem to have but we have just seen a consultant who suggested that we make sure that Lucy can handle the milk before trying her with cheese and yoghurt.

We have had our consultation at the hospital and it was just ok, we have prtty much been discharged already! It looks like Lucy has a cows milk protein intolerance, not allergy, and the lactose intolerance is secondary to that. He is confident that she will grow out of it and that it may have even been caused by a stomach bug that she had when she was 7 weeks old which can cause this temporarily even for a few months. We have to challenge her bit by bit to see if she can handle it yet. But he has left us to do that ourselves. So here is my question, have any of you started challenging yet? Our consultant suggested starting with one bottle a day first to see how she deals with it but am not sure how long to try this for as i know her nappies would be awful pretty much staright away but not sure how long her skin would take to react? Any help would be appreciated!

Cazxx

cazjones

Postby Steph Pet! » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:23 am

Hey Liz,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this...manic at the mo!

Just wanted to say that Archie also didn't have a reaction like that when he had dairy but that's not to say she won't....I think Lozza's Blake was sick with any dairy he had. With Arch it tends to come out on his skin or via his nappy or via an ear infection. His reaction was only extreme (like instant rather than a delaye 24 hour reaction) when he had direct contact with cows milk i.e. via porridge or cereal and things. His reaction with formula and things like cheese and yoghurt and stuff was a lot harder to spot as it was delayed usually showing up the next day.

Have you tried giving her the porridge but mixed with breast or formula milk instead...see how she goes and if she has the same reaction??? How is her skin? Have her nappies been any different??

PM me if u want...

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby cliveceltic » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:42 am

Our GI consultant told us to rechallenge at a few months and we did but got the same reactions. We basically just switched over cold turkey to 'normal' formula but after a few days e had the devil child and went back. They told us id she did react then to wait til she was 1. Other people have suggested rechallenging a bit more carefully adding an oz of cows milk to the remainder of the hydrolysed formula bit by bit.

She is 1 tomorrow and we saw the dietician a while back who wants to re challenge however she is a bit slow at sending out appointments so we are still waiting to see her. She did tell us that we may find people accidently give her yoghurts etc (hmm, no, everyone knows not to) and that she's now fine. I havwn't tried any purely dait products though.

I am a bit anxious at the re challenge as she is currently having revolting teething nappies and recently had a GI bug.

I have been a bit lax at being too careful these days as I know the rechallenge is closer and we lso suspect its a quantity related reaction too to both milk and soya protein. SHe has had a few pieces of cake recently which contain soya but no milk but with her teething we can't tell if thi causes her reaction. SHe also eats bread which contains both.

Keira's soya reaction is diahrrea (or was when we tried soya formula) and her reaction to cows milk was grunting and groaning and skin flare ups of exzema.

Dooby - your breast milk only contains lactose if you eat dairy, then it will also contain milk protein as well. Do you still BF? Have you tried cutting things from your diet? Baby porridge is a nightmare but there are quite a few around that don't contain milk. We have used a couple of cow n gate fruity ones/muesli style ones.
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby Doobykat » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:00 pm

Hi CC,
Yep, I am still breast feeding (expressing) and have always eaten dairy products, particularly milk, cheese & yogurts throughout, to keep up my own calcium levels, if nothing else.
Oddly, Erin has been fine with my breast milk the whole time, with very few sicky episodes (maybe 2-3?) in the whole 6 month period before weaning when she was exclusively on breast milk & there have been no other signs of intolerance either, like skin issues etc.
from what I've read, it seems that breast milk will contain lactose regardless of whether or not I eat dairy, it's just that not eating dairy will cut out the cow's milk lactose & proteins. Seems that whatever my body does with both when producing breast milk is fine... it's just the "neat" product that seems to be causing the reaction :?

I've given up on the porridges for now. We tried her on Weetabix mixed with breast milk & fruit puree and have had no adverse reactions. She seems to love it too, wolfing it down every morning :roll:
She's also had toast with a little butter, which has gone down ok several days in a row and this lunch time we've tried toast with philly - 3hrs later, so far so good. So I guess we'll just carry on trying things and see what happens... :?

Dooby x
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1db91a
MM/C Dec 2008 - 10w
MM/C Aug 2012 - 14w
Doobykat

Postby JulesC » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:03 pm

A couple of weeks ago, we tried her on the Cow & Gate baby fruity porridge. Around 2-3hrs after she'd eaten it, she was really violently sick & bringing up just bile in the end.

Just a quickie- We are weaning my lo- he is 5months old. He loves Heinz banana porridge. We couldn't get it the other day so got cow and gate one instead. Ben was violently sick afterwards. He is not normally a sicky baby, so this was unusual. We have since got more of the heinz one and he is fine! maybe a cow and gate thing? Just an idea.
Image*
Image*
Diagnosed PCOS June 2008,TTC since June 2007, now aged 35
BFP:1/8/9!!! Ben born 2/4/10- 2000mg met + AC
BFP:22/8/11!!! Identical twins born 5/4/12
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/27002b
JulesC

Postby cliveceltic » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:37 pm

another brain picking q. Keira has been on cows milk now for about 10 days, 4 days of yoghurts and 5 days of adding an oz of milk per bottle per day, and is doing fine as far as her tummy and skin. She has just started with a cold, could this be related, teething or pure chance that she just has a cold? If its a cold it should clear up. Did those with snotty issues around cows milk find it just didn't get better unless they stopped? I'm going to give it longer but baby colds can go on and on sometimes. SHes in a terrible state tonight with it poor thing.
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby Steph Pet! » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:40 am

Just keep an eye on it hun....Arch ha a constant col when he had dairy in his diet and ear infection after ear infection.....keep an eye on her ears.

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood