dealing with LOs with allergies

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby annie79 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi girls am after some advice..
When my LO was about 6 months i gave her some fresh peach. She developed an awful rash all over her body which blistered, it was so scary. The hospital gave us piriton.

Nothing until last week, we were out for luch and she had a jacket potato with a chicken and mushroom sauce, and the same thing happened but only on her face, but this time with white spots in the middle. Again we were given piriton, and told to ask gp for allergy tests.

My gp was not helpful, told me she has urticaria and this doesnt need allergy testing. The hospital said that it could go into anaphylaxia, so i am terrified now.

Then today Ive noticed lots of dry red marks all over her back.

Also today whilst out i forgot my sun cream so bought some piz buin high factor and as soon as i had put it on her face her eyes were streaming and went red and she got red patches all over.

Am getting so scared, and we go on holiday soon and am terrified of her developing something more serious.

Should i ask for a 2nd opinion?
Is this common?
Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for any help...xx
annie79

Postby NobbyNobbs » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:56 pm

well since urticaria is an generally considered to be caused by an allergic reaction i'd get a second opinion!

can you get hold of the A&E and ask them to write a letter instructing the GP? if not see a different doctor and insist. for some reason doctors hate referring for allergy testing. also be aware they'll probably try to get away with just doing a basic skin test where they put patches of things on her skin for a while and see if they blister, if you think its a potential food allergy rather than skin allergy you need to be firm about the tests they do.
NobbyNobbs

Postby cazjones » Sun May 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Hi ladies

After some advice again! LO's eczema is really bad, her whole stomach is covered in it and its all over legs, arms and back. The steriods seem to start clearing it up for a couple of days but then it comes back, normally even worse. I am not keen to be using steriods permanently either. Was checking the NICE guidelines for children with eczema and they said that if in babies under 6 months the treatment isnt working then a hydrolysed milk formula should be tried for 6-8 weeks. Can is ask is this what your LO's were put on and if so what was the reason behind them being put on this and did you have to suggest it yourself? Thanks.

Cazx

cazjones

Postby Steph Pet! » Mon May 10, 2010 6:45 am

Hey Caz,

Her ezema sounds like what we get with Arch when he eats dairy....looks horrible bless her. He's now on Aptamill Pepti which is a prescription only one but hydrolysed and we hardly have a flare up.

Cream wise we've got a steroid for when it's particularly bad....for everyday use we've used an arm full of different creams and oils but nothing worked!!! More recently the doctor prescribed us an oatmeal based one called Aveeno...it comes in a cream and an oil and I tell you Archie's skin hasn't been as soft since he was a baby....it's magic!!

HTH?

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby cazjones » Thu May 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks Steph. Just found out today that she is lactose intolerant following tests on her stools. I dont think she has it badly as she is putting on weight fine. Thing is looking on the web it seems that its mostly a dairy allergy that causes eczema and not lactose intolerace - could it be that she has both, anyone with any experience of this?

cazx

cazjones

Postby Steph Pet! » Thu May 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Arch was mis-diagnosed with being lactose intolerant when in fact he's allergic to dairy so it could be that pet. Have they done any blood tests? Took me a year of battling with docs and hospitals to get a diagnosis!

What course of action have they given u?

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby cazjones » Thu May 13, 2010 9:01 pm

Thats my thinking steph especially when she has such bad eczema. So did Arch have a stools test come back positive for lactose intolerance?

cazjones

Postby Steph Pet! » Fri May 14, 2010 6:30 am

Nope they didn't do any tests until recently....I'd done self testing at home and we always thought he was fine with his normal Aptamill as a baby so that's why they diagnosed lactose but it's only after I removed all dairy and things didn't improve...in fact they got worse...that I pushed for proper allergy testing. Took me a year to get it confirmed but yup textbook dairy allergy they said!

His eczema is awful if he has dairy...his skin goes red raw and start peeling. Telltale sign is also severe nuclear nappies...very mucusy and neon green they are.

They are reluctant to diagnose anything under the age of 2 so u might have a battle on your hands. Have they given u a hydrolysed formula for her? If they haven't I'd push for that and start your own elimination testing at home...then you have evidence to take to the docs...

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby cazjones » Fri May 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Sounds like Lucy's eczema exactly! Spoke with our GP today, she has prescribed us cow and gate pepti-junior so its a hydrolysed milk suitable for both dairy allergy and lactose intolerance. Her stool test came back positive for lactose tolerance but the GP thinks there is a good chance there is a dairy allergy as well or that the allergy could be causing lactose intolerance in the gut. So got that to try and we will start in the morning with it. Also being referred to see hospital so i feel that at least we will be in the system and just take it from there. Thanks for your advice!

cazjones

Postby Steph Pet! » Fri May 14, 2010 7:00 pm

Fantastic news pet...that's the milk Arch is on...it's called Aptamill Pepti now (same company).

FC u see as big a difference as I did with Arch xx

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby cazjones » Sat May 15, 2010 8:39 pm

Fingers crossed! She has taken to it too badly although look puzzled this morning when we gave her it - it doesnt smell great mind! Just out of curiosity how long did it take before you noticed a difference with Arch?

cazjones

Postby Steph Pet! » Sat May 15, 2010 9:16 pm

was a good week or two pet...takes that long for the old milk to leave their system...

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby KLouise » Mon May 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Pepti is fab, made such a HUGE difference for Henry as well :D :D :D

KLouise

Postby cazjones » Wed May 26, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi ladies

Well we are on day 12 of the pepti milk and it is going ok. Her nappy situation has improved 100% - i dont need to take a change of clothes everywhere we go anymore! Her skin had started to improve significantly towards the end of last week although as it was getting less red and inflamed it seemed to be itching her more. But, in the last couple of days some of the patches seem to have flared up again so am bit gutted as thought the milk was doing the trick. Will just have to keep up with it and hope that its just a blip and still early days. Hope you are all well.

caz xx

cazjones

Postby Steph Pet! » Thu May 27, 2010 7:07 am

That's great news pet.....certainly sounds like it's doing the trick. Arch still gets the odd patch flare up for no particular reason....it was the nappies for me that was the real sign something disagreed with him!

I am wondering if he's allergic to strawberries too....been doing some self testing and he has a flare up when he eats them and a bit of a nappy the next day. Shame cos he loves them but I am not convinced yet...will test again!

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood