dealing with LOs with allergies

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

dealing with LOs with allergies

Postby DawnyB » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:26 pm

As requested.

A thread to share hints and tips for dealing with children with allergies and intolerances.
MrsB was time for a name change :)

Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity

ImageImage

Ranty mum diary - my blog
DawnyB
Verity Admin

Postby cliveceltic » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:57 pm

Yey, thankyou.
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby Steph Pet! » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks Dawn :)

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby NobbyNobbs » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:34 pm

an adaptation of a recipe found online which didn't quite work -

Jammy Breakfast Bars (dairy, soya, egg free, can also be made with gluten free rice flour mix)

2 cups plain four (or gluten free mix)
1 cup quick cooking oats, we use readybrek for a smoother texture
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup margerine
1 cup jam (or slightly less, it was a bit runny this time)
1tbsp water if the jam is thick, not needed if it is a seedless/runnier jam

combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl, then crumble in the margerine with your hands until the wet lumps have gone.
spread half the mix in a 7X9inch roasting tin lined with greaseproof paper which has been oiled.
spread the jam (premixed with water if needed) on top, then layer on the rest of the mix and press down without causing the jam to break the surface (you have to be quite gentle)
bake in the oven at 220 for 30 minutes until goldern
slice into squares and serve for breakfast, snacks or treats.

this is really tasty i made some today and it looks like it wont be around for breakfast tomorrow! but it tends to be a bit crumbly on top, so you might want to play with the fat ratio if it is a problem for younger hands. the base holds solid well. i'm working on a way to use chocolate spread /apple puree in the middle but need to find a way to increase the binding power of the mix first.

if you dont have proper measuring cups the average mug is about right, just measure everything from the same size mug and it will work fine.

original recipe here - http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/eg ... st_bar.php
NobbyNobbs

Postby cliveceltic » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:09 pm

They sound lovely, will give them a go when keira is bigger. Does anyone have any avacado recipes, they all seem to be with cream cheese. I just tried keira today with some mashed and she did very well but didn't seem keen. I crumbled a rusk (boots berry one which are dairy free). Just to give a sweeter taste as I gave it as a pudding. Not sure if she was full or not keen! Could I just add some into her other veggie pots I make up do you reckon?!
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby Steph Pet! » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:07 am

Hey girls,

Just thought I would do an update on here....FINALLY we think we're beginning to crack Archie's allergy. After some home testing and a bit of research and nagging our GP we're getting somewhere. We don't think he is lactose intolerant like previously diagnosed but instead we think he has a Casein (milk protein) allergy....symptoms all fit...so we've now got him completely dairy free and that includes goats products and sheep products too. We've got him fully transitioned onto Aptamill Pepti which he is drinking no problem......and the best thing is after doing all of this he's sleeping through again, his skin is baby soft and he's much happier in himself.

Our GP is brilliant....we've been messed around by the hospital since November and still not managed to see anyone or got any answers.....so he's referred us straight over to Addenbrookes directly to get Archie FULLY allergy tested to get to the bottom of what is it causing all this. I'll be so glad when it's all over and we can finally get a plan together for him......

How is everyone else getting on?

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby purplestar » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:13 am

That sounds like fantastic progress, Steph. Glad he's finally sleeping through for you too x
Diagnosed '93, Met since March '00 (2000mg/day), Spironolatone & Yasmin (when not ttc)

ImageImage

Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
purplestar
Verity Moderator

Postby puppapups » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Steph,

That is what Maggie has, completely different to lactose intolerant. So glad it is working for you hon.

xxx

p.s. your chart looks ace! Yes another stalker here! Fingers crossed for you

xxx
BFP 12th August. Conceived after lap and dye and ovarian drilling.
Baby Maggie born 20th April 2009
[/url]
puppapups

Postby LozzaBird » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:53 pm

That's great new steph - what tests did you do at home?

It will take some time but hopefully Archie will be on the road to recovery now ;-)
Conceived naturally with DS
Conceived using pregnl injection and cyclogest with DD

LozzaBird

Postby Steph Pet! » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:59 pm

Just food elimination Lozza...he's so much happier since we got him totally dairy free and he's sleeping much better!

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby cliveceltic » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:47 pm

Steph, glad you're getting sorted. We saw the dietician yesterday and we explained our concerns over keora taking the nutramigen and she has prescribed neocate for cookin with and putting on food ad nutramigen stage 2 for drinking, although we can stick with neocate if it turns out better. She said it is more plaltable and the most hypoallergenic of the hydrolysed formulas. She said if she won't take that there isanother (prob aptamil pepti) which is nicer but less hypoallergenic. She has told us to stay totally dairy free til at least 1 year and also soya free as the soya milk caused terrible dihoreah initially. Not worrying about hidden soya but staying away from soya products. She wants keira to get more milk into her as she won't be eating other stiff like yoghurts so the neocate people do a recipe book which basically suggests adding formula to alsorts of things and usiing it with birds custard powder (not instant) to make puddings, jelly too. Ee also got a milk free pamphlet suggesting products which do/don't contain milk (generally) but a lot of the replacements are soya. Will get supplies at the weekend like margarine so we can bake biscuits and cakes ourselves. Poor baby has been living on meat and veg and hardly gaining much weight since weaning. Does anyone know of any good dairy and soya free recepie books?? Keep posting ideas. Keira is stage 2 weaning now (although home made is lumpier) and ideas for finger food other than fruit and veg would be nice! All the best. Xx
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby cliveceltic » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Oh, and we're milk proteing allergy here too and soya possibly. Would love to get proper tests done eventually but no one seems to think they can be done yet. Even dietician said we could do with finding out. Waas elimination here - well changing formulas so easier than already being on food! Xxx
ImageImage

cliveceltic

Postby KLouise » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:18 pm

Henry was dairy (milk protein) and soya intolerant, and we had to avoid all types of dairy and soya, both hidden and otherwise. I just made him the same as anyone else but used his own formula and PURE margerine (the sunflower one) The only thing I found you cant substitute is cheese and yogurt, otherwise you can pretty much make anything else. We even found a dairy and soya free ice cream he could have, although we now make him his own, albeit just a banana one cos all others need cream in to thicken them, but he loves it!!!

Cow and Gate are worth emailing too as they also produce a recipe book with some idea in.

Henry never took over 10oz of milk a day (from about 6mths old) and so he was/is on vitamin and calcium supplements to 'top up his intake'

We see the dietician every 6mths now and are slowly starting a reintroduction of dairy, although we are still avoiding soya as this causes him more problems than the dairy ever has!! We have started the reintroduction about 4 times now, but so far each time after a month or so on small amounts he starts to react again so we stop it all. This time though he has been back on minimal dairy and we have been trying the lactofree products and for the first time he seems to be doing ok on it (touching lots of wood) so fingers crossed he is finally growing out of it!!!

It does get easier as you learn new ways of doing things, but its really not all that hard. ALso check different makes/brands of the same product as like SKIPS contain milk but tesco own version are fine!! Ad this is the case with all sorts of foods.

GOod luck

KLouise

Postby Steph Pet! » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:18 pm

Those of you with LO's with eczema....what creams and emollients do u use?

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby thebuzz » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:31 pm

I use diprobase for my eczema Steph. Diprosalic was the best for me but its like putting lard on so I use the diprobase and it works great, stinks just like poster paint though!
[url=http://daisypath.com]
thebuzz

Next

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood