Postnatal Depression

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby Dottywot » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:27 am

I had thought about multi-vitamins too! I know that Vit B 6 is supposed to be good for PMS symptoms etc.

I just had a telephone consultation with my work's GP from occ health, it went well, she suggested that when I'm ready to return to work that it will be a phased return, and liked my suggestion of setting a date soon & working towards it! Just want to get back to normal! well as normal as I can be!

Have a good day everyone :)
Diagnosed - 2002
TTC for 5 years - BFP :) March 2008
Metformin - 23 October 2010
Dottywot
Local Group Leader

Postby Koo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi all,

Not really thought about vitamins, but I do think they might help, especially with tiredness (I know I felt tired all the time). Like Sooze I tried to eat healthily because I definitely felt better when I did. Tbh though, I prob ate worse on more days than not :oops:.
Sooze - I'm off the Sertraline now, I was on 100mg for most of the the time (50 at the start and finish). if I'm honest I think I came off the ads too soon and too quickly (I went away for a week and forgot my tablets so pretty much went cold turkey - not good!). How are you feeling about coming off the ads? I found it quite a scary but quite a freeing thought, if that makes sense?
Hope everyone's having a good day, Koo x
m/c March 06
BFP 3rd cycle Clomid & acupuncture!
Koo

Postby Koo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Tracie, that's awful. Pnd needs treatment and quickly or the illness may get worse. Is there anyway you can see a different gp or a different hv? If my gp and hv hadn't very firmly told me I needed ads and counselling, I think I would have just carried on walking around in my sad little bubble.
If there's noone else you can see, could you try one of the m/ws from your pregnancy, or even a different surgery? Another idea might be to go back to the GP with your dp and together make it clear that you need help and you need it now.
I don't know if you've seen this website (http://www.pni.org.uk/index.htm). I find it quite useful, and I think you can arrange to talk on the phone to another sufferer, if you think that might help.
I hope you can get some more help soon. Feel free to pm me anytime - I know what it's like to be the most moody cow!
Maybe some of the others will have some different ideas too. take care x
m/c March 06
BFP 3rd cycle Clomid & acupuncture!
Koo

Postby mrsnutts » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:21 pm

I've decided to go back on ADs - I don't want to wait until I'm absolutely desparate, as I hate every minute when I'm low, hypercritical and not good to be with. My community mental health nurse has arranged with my gp to get a prescription issued, so I don'T need to see a doctor.

Tracie - ask for a referral to community mental health - I've had a nurse assigned, from about 3 months before my daughter was born (because I had PND last time), and she sees me every week now. I was supposed to see her today but her daughter has swine flu so she opted for a phonecall rather than expose us to infection. I was referred by a midwife, and last time I was refered by the HV who seem to be able to access care quicker than your GP. Counselling might be a waiting list, but 1:1 or group care may be just what you need. Remember that PND does have a finite duration, it will go, but you need to get through it in the best way you can.

x
S
50 mg Clomid days 2-6, 1500mg Metformin per day for approx 1 year
mrsnutts

Postby Dottywot » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:00 am

Tracie - my employer through its Occupational Health policy gives us access to counselling, its provided by a company call Care First, might be worth a try! Or your local NCT group should have a PND advisor!

xx
Diagnosed - 2002
Dottywot
Local Group Leader

Postby mrsnutts » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:26 pm

I tried it last time, as I'd had bad side effects with prozac, and my GP said she couldn't prescribe anything else. It helped as a buffer for 4-5 months, but then I got so low that I had to get some proper ADs and my PND nurse arranged for a psychiatrist to advise what tablets to try.

You need to be careful with st johns wort and other medification such as the pill. I think I took 3 tablets a day, and kept forgetting to take the evening one, wheras with sertraline I just took one tablet a day, and was more reliable about taking that!

I should get my supply of sertraline tomorrow, so hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll feel better. Fingers crossed!
mrsnutts

Postby Soooze » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:37 pm

Just a quick post before I do all the housework.....for Tracie or anyone else on a waiting list for CBT or councilling - you could try this online CBT course. My doc recommended it whilst I was on the waiting list for CBT. It was excellent, although obviously you have no-one to help you if you get in a muddle. http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/moodgym
Also, the books "Overcoming Depression" and "Overcoming Low self-esteem" were excellent in helping me challenge my negative thinking.

HTH
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/2d2e24
Diagnosed PCOS 2001. Natural BFP Jun 07. Daisy born 24.2.08.
Ttc #2 since Jan 10. Shock bfp 2/4/11.
Max James Robinson born 9th December 2011 8lb 10.5oz :D
ImageImage
Soooze

Postby NobbyNobbs » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:50 pm

if you're trying online CBT i can't recomend "mind over mood" by Padesky and Greenberger enough. it really helps to understand why you need to do certain things and the theory behind them.
NobbyNobbs

Postby cherry219 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:56 pm

I got the "CBT for Dummies" book for work and it's been really helpful, definitely worth a try.
Jacob was born 10.3.09 - 8lb12oz.
Baby#2 due 09.11.12 - a little sister!

Blogging
cherry219

Postby Gill » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:11 pm

Hi its me! Tracie, stay with him as it will pass. I was exactly the same with Connor and Lee. wed argue all the time and I really didnt like him at one point. I went on antidepresants. Maybe you need to go back to the doc and have another chat to him.; Youve done it once you can do it again. I say this becasue Ive gone through it too. Talk to your hv as well, theyre there to help. Do you have a sure start? They have home visisters that are trained for this too. You need as much support as you can at the mo and its nothing to be ashamed of. Go back to the docs, promise me? That horrible feeling in you shoulder blades and tummy will go away eventually but you need to tell the doc and theres always me to go to as well. Big hugs to all who are suffering at the mo.
Gillian x
Image Image ImageImage
Gill

Postby Hols969 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:27 pm

Stay with him for now - its a really tough time initially and I felt exactly the same. Remember that it IS possible for him to feel depressed as well. My hubbie has PND as well, all the added responsibility etc of a child and he almost felt he couldnt cope so it may be that your DP feels the same way. I remember Gill feeling the same with lee so it is really common to feel this way about your other half but it will pass (if its meant to) and you will look at him normally again.

have you told your DP how down you feel and spoken about PND?
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby mrsnutts » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Ditto the last two posts - PND makes you forget anything nice, and just leaves you with all the crap - get yourself well, then decide. You need as much support as you can get, including your DP, and he needs to know that it's the illness making you snappy, and how he can help.

my first visit from pnd nurse last time was for both me and DH, and she spent a lot of time telling him what he needed to do - reminding me of good things, and balancing my skewed view of life.

I hope you get the help you need

x
S
mrsnutts

Postby Hols969 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:44 pm

Yes agree with Mrs Nutts that it is an illness and not your fault or anything so dont feel guilty, depression does still have a bit of a stigma but it is a chemical imbalance in the brain. You do need your other halfs support so make sure he is aware of it and please dont feel ashamed about it.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Dottywot » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:10 am

We've had a lot of tears from both DH & I, another ditto about all the negative things staying on your mind, whilst forgetting the positive. My DH is very anxious at the moment, and we are having to take things one day at a time.

Hugs all round!

KJ x
Diagnosed - 2002
Dottywot
Local Group Leader

Postby mrsnutts » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:56 am

There's a lot of reasons why DH/P can get anxious, and PND means they can't really share them with you. When I sat down with hubby last weekend, he confessed to being really worried about money, his job, me, his role as a father, not wanting to affect our son (as he's no longer the centre of attention since Daisy was born), and he spends all day at work reassuring junior members of staff that the business won't close, so he doesn't want to talk to me about it as well. He was also very tearful for the first week after Daisy was born - he even asked the midwife whether dads get baby blues! It was one of the reasons he started dadsnet - to give somewhere for dads to go for support and to vent their worries.

Finally got my prescription for sertraline yesterday, and took the first one this morning. Bizarly, I felt more focussed and in control yesterday, and even after a really crap night of Daisy waking up every 2 hours or less, I didn't get tearful or feel inadequate, I just decided that Daisy was learning how to get back to sleep, and needed me to help her learn.

I feel very in control of my treatment, and I am determined not to get so low that I can't cope, so I'm taking the support offered by the CMH and HV, rather than hiding myself away.

And the sun's shining (a bit)!

Have a good day

x
S
mrsnutts

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood