Premature baby support thread

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby Platinum » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:50 am

Shining star, sounds like your two are doing well - I know what you mean about wanting to hit the pause button!

Hope all the other little ones (and their parents!) are thriving, and looking forward to Christmas!

Elizabeth’s doing really well. She’s just turned 1 year old, and is such a happy, easy-going little girl. She’s not interested in crawling, but wants to be on her feet all the time, walking while holding onto your hands, which is not good for my back, but is very cute! She’s been in nursery for 2 months now, and has been catching all the winter bugs which have really knocked her appetite, so had only put on 1oz last time she was weighed (in the 7 weeks since the previous weigh). She now seems to be making up for it though, and is eating like a horse and guzzling her milk, so we’re not worried. She had her 1 year jabs on Monday and has had no adverse reactions. She has her two bottom tooth – the first arrived only 5 days before her 1st birthday! She sleeps well – 10-11 hours at night, then wakes for a bottle, then sings to herself in her cotbed for a while and then normally drifts off for another hour or so.

She had a lovely birthday, and really got the hang of ripping open the wrapping paper on her presents! Can’t wait to get the Christmas tree up and see what she makes of it. It will be like her first Christmas, as last Christmas she was in the neonatal unit – I well remember DH and I sitting in the parents’ room eating pasta salad for lunch!

I do have a question. She’s still on 4 bottles per day – 6oz first thing in the morning, 4oz mid morning, 4oz mid afternoon, and 7oz at bedtime. At nursery she often rejects her daytime milk, but at home she normally guzzles it. Up until 2 months ago, we were keen to encourage her to drink more milk as she was often only managing 10-12oz all day – she never really loved her milk. But now I’m almost worried she’s drinking too much! I guess we should start to think about dropping the daytime bottles, but she really looks for them, even if we do a snack and water first.

Also, she’s not great at drinking from anything other than a bottle. We introduced Tommee Tippee free-flow sippy cups from weaning and offer her this every day, but she rarely takes any. She also has a Doidy cup which again she only drinks from occasionally. She will drink some water out of a teated bottle, but again only a bit – until she realises it’s not milk! DH wants to give her diluted juice but I’m not keen. We have tried giving her water and milk from the trainer spout for the Nuk bottles, but she won’t drink it and we end up switching to a bottle. She’s a long way off taking her milk from anything but a bottle! Any tips?

Also, I’m inclined to keep her on follow-on formula milk until she’s 1 year corrected, and check with her consultant at her 1 year corrected age check before changing. She’s still small (under 18lbs) so I feel she needs the nutrients. Is this silly – should we be making a gradual switch to cow’s milk, or indeed moving her onto a toddler milk?

Platinum x
TTC#1 since Dec 06
Heterozygous for MTHFR; weak +ve for Lupus and IgG antibodies
IVF#2 (4th ET): 2 blastocysts, BFP 1/6/10! OHSS
Clexane 80mg, Aspirin 75mg, B12 3x50mcg, Metformin 4x500mg
Gestational diabetes
Elizabeth born prematurely by emergency C-section on 25/11/10 at 29+3, due to placental abruption, weighing 3lbs
Platinum

Postby Yvette75 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:30 pm

Platinum,

Apologies for crashing but just wanted to share my experiences of milk with my 2 who were small babies and both were under 18lb at age 1, and like Elizabeth, Emily only put on 1oz in the 2 months between 10 months and 1 year ( I will have to admit that I haven't had her weighed in the 3 months since!)

Firstly, don't worry about her weight! Provided she is eating and drinking plenty which it sounds like she is, then I wouldn't worry.

At age 1 Christopher was still having 4 bottles per day and he carried on having 4 bottles per day until he was about 16 months. At 12 months he had 5oz after breakfast, 4oz after lunch, 4oz at 4pm and 7oz at bedtime. He didn't drop any milk until 16 months (when I took one bottle away, the 1pm one) and moved his 4pm bottle forward to 3pm. He didn't drop the mid afternoon bottle until he was 2.5 and dropped his bedtime bottle at 3, but still has his morning bottle, which is now 7oz. That said he still only weighs 23.5lb at 3.

Emily on the other hand wasn't bothered about milk and started rejecting her daytime bottles so has only been having 5oz after breakfast then another 5oz before bed since she was 12 months old. Today she has only taken a total of 5oz of milk but she guzzles tonnes of water.

Christopher on the other hand barely drank any water until he was about 2.5. He never got on with any sorts of cups and milk in a cup was a complete no go for him. Now he drinks water from a normal beaker with all his meals so he's got there in the end!

Emily on the other hand drinks water fine from tommee tippees, but if I even dare but her milk in a tommee tippee or anything other than a bottle she has one sip then turns her nose up!

As for formula it is a personal decision whether you switch to cow's milk. Christopher had cow's milk in the day and formula at bedtime until he was 2. Emily on the other hand turned her nose up at cow's milk so I had to mix it with formula until she got used to the taste, so she is now completely on cow's milk. Emily also eats very well and has plenty of fruit and veg so i'm not worried about dropping the formula but Christopher was faddy eater and ate very little in the way of solid food before he was 2 so I left him with 1 bottle of formula per day. Formula and cow's milk have the same calorific value so it really is just the added vitamins etc in the formula.

Yvette
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby michelle79 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi Everyone
We're doing well though things can be challenging at times! They are both really loving the word no at the moment and are testing the boundaries alot. We had parents evening at their nursery this week and they are ticking all the boxes for their age group. Katie is showing some interest in potty training but is not actually that keen on sitting on the potty! Their words are coming on great and they are really getting into xmas.

Platinum- Katie was a similar weight at 1 year and we were still on Nutriprem 2. They were on that til about 13 mths, then dietician recommended we go onto a follow on milk, I then those to go onto the toddler milk for the extra vitamins til they were about 20 months when they stopped their night time bottle and they've had full fat cows milk since. Katie is still small, only 11kg but most of the time she eats really well, think she just has a fast metabolism. Mine were defo still on 3 bottles when they started nursery so I wouldn't worry about that if she's enjoying them. Just persist with offering the water at meal times and some people have had success with the cow cup for milk.
Michelle x
TTC since May 08
1st round clomid 100mg - BFP 31/10/08

michelle79

Postby ShiningStar1980 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:44 pm

Michelle, sounds like the twins r doin great at nursery. Harris got a good report at his aren't night too. Altho he has the odd tantrum.

Platinum, Harris was 13 months when he started nursery and he was on 3 bottles, but quickly dropped to 2 soon after. orla is 13 months now and on 2 bottles of 5oz each but she eats like a horse so I don't worry. I have no idea what she weighs.
Harris has never been a great milk bottle drinker tho apart from he odd phase where he had 18oz before bed for a while! At 2.5 he doesn't drink any milk now at all, but eats cereal, yoghurts, cheese etc.

Harris was about 15 months old before he even attempted to drink from a cup properly. I had a terrible time getting him onto a cup, but he got the hang of it eventually.
Orla on the other hand has been drinking from a cup thru a straw since she was 8 months old and drinks anything I give her.

I just did a straight swap onto cows milk an he was fine with it. So was orla.

Just let her drink milk if she's wanting it an don't stress bout the cup. I caused myself so much stress for nothing.
Baby Harris born at 27+6w, 2lb 9oz
ImageImage
Baby Orla born 37w2d, 8lb 0.5oz
ShiningStar1980

Postby Platinum » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:44 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the advice about bottles and milk! Yvette, Elizabeth's habit sounds very similar to Christopher's.

It sounds like I'm worrying a bit too early really - I just have it in my head about trying to wean them off a bottle by 1 year old, but I don't actually know anyone who has managed this apart from exclusively breastfed babies!

At nursery E often only takes one of her two daytime bottles (or actually I suspect they often only offer her one, eg if she is asleep at bottle time or is about to have lunch or tea). For now I think we'll carry on as we are but keep encouraging the water and don't force the milk on her, and hopefully she'll show signs of moving on in her own time.

She does love to drink a bit of whatever we're drinking out of our cups - makes it a bit tricky if it's a hot drink or alcohol!

Michelle, great news that your two are ticking the boxes for their age group - even if they are also being a challenge sometimes. We are just seeing Elizabeth turn from being a very chilled out baby to a determined little girl, full of squawks when she can't have exactly what she wants, exactly when she wants it! I think I liked the baby stage!

On the subject of boundaries and discipline, does any of you have a 'bible' that you follow? We all know the baby ones: Gina Ford, Baby Whisperer etc. but what is there for the toddler years? Not that I want to be ruled by a book, but I'd like to know a bit about the common methods of managing an unruly toddler!

Looking forward to Saturday which is the neonatal unit support group Christmas party. Hoping to see one of the nurses who looked after Elizabeth and me in her early days for the first time since she was discharged, which will be lovely.

Hoping you're all sorted for Christmas. Tree is up but bare - decorating it tonight, yay!

Platinum x

Platinum x
TTC#1 since Dec 06
Gestational diabetes
Elizabeth born prematurely by emergency C-section on 25/11/10 at 29+3, due to placental abruption, weighing 3lbs
Platinum

Postby sammykins » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi ladies,

I'm after a bit of advice for one of my friends. She has given birth this morning to her little boy, at 25 weeks gestation. He has been rushed to a nearby hospital for care.
Has anyone had a little one born this early? Is there anything I can do for her?

Thanks in advance.
xx

sammykins

Postby ShiningStar1980 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi Sammykins.

I hope your friends LO is doing ok??

All you can do is be there for your friend. Shes going to need a lot of support over the coming months as its going to be a very rough journey.
My DS was born at 27 weeks and was in hospital for 11 weeks.

Hxx
ImageImage
ShiningStar1980

Postby sammykins » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks for your reply SS.

I have had no news since Monday, and I am hoping this is because she is in the NNICU.
I'm hoping to hear from her soon, and that her little man gets stronger every day.

sammykins

Postby sammykins » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:36 pm

I've heard from my friend tonight. Her LO is really fighting, and they had to give him a blood transfusion last night (I'm not sure why that would be though).
Aside from that, she said that so far, so good, so I hope it carries on this way.

sammykins

Postby ShiningStar1980 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Brilliant news.
Blood transfusions can be part of the journey. My lo had 6 in 7 days one week.
I will say a wee prayer tonight.
X x
ImageImage
ShiningStar1980

Postby Platinum » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:03 am

That's great that she has a little fighter there.

Blood transfusions are used when a baby's reserves (often of iron / red blood cells) are low due to the fact that they have to produce everything themselves when they should still be getting it from the mother in the womb. There is a small risk with any transfusion, but it can make such a positive difference to a very small baby that the benefits can easily outweigh the risks.

Do keep us posted on the little boy's progress - and feel free to ask anything and we will do what we can.

I'll also add them to my prayers.

Platinum x
TTC#1 since Dec 06
Gestational diabetes
Platinum

Postby Debbs » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi ladies.

Bit of a strange one sorry. Does anyone find it really hard to talk about their time in SCBU/Neonatal? There are a few things that I cant talk about without crying. Nothing really bad either as my 2 were little fighters and not as prem as many others. For instance when they were moved from one hosp to another and had to be moved one by one. We werent allowed to travel with them or see them for a while after. Guess Im just wondering if its normal or if im a teetering on the edge a slight bit. Feel normal most of the time but have noticed that its worse on my AF week.

Thanks ladies.

Debbs
xxxxx
TTC since May/06
Sept/09 ICSI#1 Chem preg
Jan/10 FET#1 BFN
June/10 ICSI#2 BFN
Aug/10 FET#2 BFN
Jan/11 ICSI#3-BFP
NK cells, normal with elevated CD19 & CD5 immunes
Heterozygous+ PAI-1 gene polymorphism
Heterozygous+ MTHFR gene mutation
Debbs

Postby ShiningStar1980 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Debs. I don't know if it normal but I still cry in secret and have a huge feeling of guilt most of the time. I can talk bout it fine as i just rhyme it off without attaching emotions to the words coming from my mouth, but, I can't listen to certain songs and if I look at early photos I get really upset and angry. My mum says I need to talk to someone but I've ignored her so far as I'm hoping it will pass.
I suppose everyone who as a prem baby, traumatic birth etc has difficulties which will take time to heal.
That probably didnt help at all, but I guess the main thing is that we are not alone or unique in how we feel.
Oh and I'm the same on af week too. Im pretty angry and cry most that week.
H. X x
ImageImage
ShiningStar1980

Postby Debbs » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks hun. Sometimes I worry im not coping very well but talking on here has made me realise were all in the same boat. Most people attatch songs etc to people, emotional times etc and have a little cry so I suppose its no different. You did help hun thanks, im normal - well thats if you are. :D as thats what im going by. :lol:

Thanks again
Debbs
xxxxx
TTC since May/06
Sept/09 ICSI#1 Chem preg
Jan/10 FET#1 BFN
June/10 ICSI#2 BFN
Aug/10 FET#2 BFN
Jan/11 ICSI#3-BFP
NK cells, normal with elevated CD19 & CD5 immunes
Heterozygous+ PAI-1 gene polymorphism
Heterozygous+ MTHFR gene mutation
Debbs

Postby hope07 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Debbs- A good friend of mine gave birth at 34 weeks and baby was about 3lb born- he's fine now however she cant talk about her time in nicu or look at pictures of when baby was tiny as she finds it too upsetting. X
7 -1st Trimester M/C's- TTC since Oct 05

Mummy to two beautiful children
1 DS- IVF
1 DD- Natural BFP
hope07

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood