Premature baby support thread

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby Platinum » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:58 pm

Oh, what fantastic news! I'm so glad your girls are doing so well - sounds like you are totally in love. I well remember the nappy changes and tube feeds while they are in an incubator - enjoy every moment and I can't wait to hear how they get on.

Platinum x
TTC#1 since Dec 06
Heterozygous for MTHFR; weak +ve for Lupus and IgG antibodies
IVF#2 (4th ET): 2 blastocysts, BFP 1/6/10! OHSS
Clexane 80mg, Aspirin 75mg, B12 3x50mcg, Metformin 4x500mg
Gestational diabetes
Elizabeth born prematurely by emergency C-section on 25/11/10 at 29+3, due to placental abruption, weighing 3lbs
Platinum

Postby KellyJHarris » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:44 pm

Well What a day :)

We have spent all day at the hospital looking after the girls and boy they are string little ones :) I just know Megan is helping them get bigger and stronger each and every day :)

I was told today that by next weekend both girls could be out of the incubators and into cots and also may have there feeding tubes taken out :) Im so so happy this is not what we expected especially after never getting out of the NICU last time with Megan. I burst into tears when they told me as I was just so so happy :)

Lilly has put on 3oz already and Grace has put on 2.5oz :) so they are gaining weight and growing stronger :)
They both had there first bottle feeds today :) and although they only took about 10ml's each thats amazing for there first time :)

I can not express how happy I am I am hoping to get all the pictures off the camera tomorrow afternoon and sit and post them on here and to my my family who live in australia.
I am utterly besotted with them and thankful that Megan has kept a watchful eye over her sisters and I will always thank her for being in my life and saving her sisters :)

Kelly xx
DS: Dillion 10, TTC since 07,BFP march 10, married Liam July 10, EDD 6 Dec 10 ** it's a GIRL **- Megan Olivia Harris born 21/08/10 1lb 3 oz 16 weeks early,Lost her fight 14/09/10 -aged 25 day/28 wks 3 day gestation, 2 miracle twin girls EDD 9/10/11
KellyJHarris

Postby LonelyStranger » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:20 pm

Hello ladies,
I'm glad I found this thread because I feel a bit 'lost' and haven't really had the supposrt I feel I needed. I had my boy on 23rd June at 33 weeks, went into spontaneous labour. He was in nicu for 3 weeks and finally came home. However, I feel a bit hard done by, feel like I missed out on so much bonding time that I haven't really bonded with him...I feel so 'wrong'...did anyone else find that? Also I never managed to produce much breastmilk at all, less then an ounce...I kept up with expressing and then when he came home got him to directly suckle (he'd suckle for about half an hour and have formula straight after becuase he didn't get much)...I don't know whether the absence of suckling in the first 3 weeks caused the low supply, but becuase I was desperate to breatfeed ever since I've felt like I've failed..and everyone around me talks about how they exclusively breastfeed...all these things have made me feel really down over time to the point that I can spend all day crying...
Sorry to post this here, I didn't know where else to rant..
LonelyStranger

Postby michelle79 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi
Congratulations on your little boy, what's his name? I'm sorry you have felt a bit lost but you have defo come to the right place now. I think that sometimes mums who have premature babies that are not deemed really early ie' before 30 weeks often don't receive the support they need. I think it is normal to worry about bonding but I'm sure that you did your boys cares in the hospital and at least you tried expressing. You will never know if you would have succeeded to BF even if LO was born at term so don't beat yourself up about it, also many woman don't BF for more than a few weeks (i find there is an above average number of woman on here who BF compared to the general population who don't have trouble conceiving). Also please don't think that all mothers bond instantly with their LOs I think it takes time for everyone. It is something that I worried about but can honestly say we have a really strong bond now and they are my world. Please see your HV if you are feeling down for too long as i think PND is more common after a prem birth.
Michelle x
TTC since May 08
1st round clomid 100mg - BFP 31/10/08

michelle79

Postby Platinum » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:52 pm

Kelly - how lovely to hear that your girls are doing so so well, and you sound so incredibly happy. It has really made my evening! How great that they're already learning to take the bottle. Elizabeth was out of hospital 6 days after taking her first bottle - although we did delay this bottle for a while as I was desperate to breastfeed but just didn't have the supply and E never really showed much enthusiasm. I hope they go from strength to strength, and can't wait to see pics!

Lonely stranger - welcome to the thread. The ladies on here are amazing and have been so much help to me. I can relate to the low milk supply thing - I determinedly expressed for the first two months (my daughter was too young to suckle for the first 4 weeks and then never really took to the breast). Despite expressing religiously 8-9 times per day/night for weeks, and getting quite a lot of support, my milk supply never increased above 140mls per day in total, so by the time I took my daughter home it was less than half of her requirement and therefore wasn't enough to give her the immune benefits of breastmilk, so I gradually phased it out. I was heartbroken not to be able to breastfeed or even express enough milk, and for months afterwards would be tearful daily about it. Even now I well up thinking about it. But I know that I did what I could, and my daughter is really thriving and has rarely been ill these last few months, so she really doesn't seem to have suffered. You may feel sad about it for a while, but try to remind yourself that you did the best you could in exceptional circumstances, and people who tell you all their wonderful stories about breastfeeding coming so easy are probably only telling half the truth.

Michelle has offered some great advice about bonding and possibly PND. Everyone is different in how they cope in the early days and with bonding, and it sounds like you're doing a great job with your little boy and you will grow as a partnership by the day. I do remember looking at Elizabeth in her incubator in the early days and thinking of her as a 'project' to get to know and love - it was definitely not a rush of hormones! It came though, in time, and now she is my world. We are here for you so feel free to chat any time.

Platinum x
TTC#1 since Dec 06
Gestational diabetes
Elizabeth born prematurely by emergency C-section on 25/11/10 at 29+3, due to placental abruption, weighing 3lbs
Platinum

Postby LonelyStranger » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:55 am

Thank you for your replies platinum and Michelle. I honestly feel much better after reading your posts. I think with BF I always tried to remind myself that I've done the best possible but people seem to always be full of 'advise'...I'm pretty much sick of hearing 'you know breastmilk is best and you should really do this and this and this and it'll work' they just don't understand that I've tried everything I could and it hasn't worked! From now on I'm just not going to pay attention to anyone who thinks they know the solutions lol!
I do feel that with time I will bond really well with him, I see DH with him and think that should be me, but it will be soon hopefully...
Thank you once again ladies I do feel much better xx
LonelyStranger

Postby loachy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:50 pm

at 7 weeks all the hospital told me to formula feed my twins as my milk had gone and they were at risk of gong back into hospital.

they came on leaps and bounds from there so dont be sad and dont beat yourself up over it.
IVF BFP Aaron m/c 22wks 9/2/07
IVF BFP Katie & Joshua 29+4 3lb 1 13/9/08
http://aaron-hodnett.gonetoosoon.org
[url=http://counters.families.com]ImageImage
loachy
Verity Moderator

Postby alison86 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Hiya everyone. I have twin girls who were born on 1st may at 27+6 Sarah 2lb4 and Rebecca2lb10. Both are doing well now but Sarah has a herna and is having to have an op at the end of the month and I was wondering if any of your little ones had to go through anything like this? I'm just dreading going back into hospital as it took so long to get them home in the first place. She also still has a small PDA but apart from that they are healthy and happy babies. Also wondered if any of you had the RSV vaccine and how your first winters went? They got there first ones on tuesday but the nurse scared me a bit saying that they'll probably end up being in hospital at least once over the winter!

Thanks
Alison
M/C @ 9W+ in Dec 2004 MC @ 7.5 weeks April 2010 xx
Natural BFP 21/11/2010 hoping for a sticky one - Its TWINS!!! xx
Diagnosed March 2008
Low Carb diet June09 Met - 3x 500g since Dec09. Lost 3 and a half stone.
5mg folic Acid May10
The twins have arrived 1st May 2011 at 27+6 weeks! Sarah 2lb4 & Rebecca 2lb10 both doing well
alison86

Postby michelle79 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi Alison
Welcome to the thread! Sounds like your girls are doing really well. Daniel had to have bilateral inguinal hernias (groins both sides) operated on at about 5 mths old so 2 corrected. It was at a different hospital so didn't have any "issues" with returning. He was only in theatre <1hr. He had to stay overnight as he was <3mths corrected just to monitor sats etc (his NNU journey was very simple and only 7wks). The hardest thing about it was starving the poor wee thing and the scars are not even visible now.
Katie qualified for the RSV and had the full course over the 1st winter. Neither of mine have ever been re-admitted with breathing difficulties although Katie has been given an inhaler in the past as she does get wheezy when she gets a cold. I made the decision to avoid all non-essential contact that 1st winter, so only people who weren't ill could visit and we didn't go to any groups except the one run by the NNU. It was a bit lonely but we just went for walks in the park etc.
Sorry it's a quick one but I'm at work. Please feel free to ask questions.
Michelle x
TTC since May 08

michelle79

Postby alison86 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks Michelle its nice to hear that the op wasn't too bad. Did itmess up his routine much and how long did you give him pain killers for? Also nice to hear that you made it through your first winter without too many dramas. I think I will just be doing the same with regards to making people stay away and staying away from groups. Best go as someones unhappy to be in bed x
M/C @ 9W+ in Dec 2004 MC @ 7.5 weeks April 2010 xx
Natural BFP 21/11/2010 hoping for a sticky one - Its TWINS!!! xx
Diagnosed March 2008
Low Carb diet June09 Met - 3x 500g since Dec09. Lost 3 and a half stone.
5mg folic Acid May10
The twins have arrived 1st May 2011 at 27+6 weeks! Sarah 2lb4 & Rebecca 2lb10 both doing well
alison86

Postby michelle79 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:31 pm

Hi Alison
My memories of the early days are a little vague! I don't remember the routine being out at all once we got home. They were sleeping through by then but he obviously had a feed in the night at hospital cos he'd been starved. They gave us an absolute mountain of paracetamol but he really wasn't bothered by it at all, certainly no more than a week. TBH I think after what we went through in NNU (our journey was fairly easy compared to others) a tiny op really felt quite a walk in the park to me :shock:
Michelle x
TTC since May 08

michelle79

Postby Emma78 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi ladies... I need a bit of advice about Nutriprem formula for a colleague of my dad that has 5 week old twin boys who arrived at about 32 weeks gestation. They are apparently really struggling to get them to take the formula - they don't seem to like it, and are therefore caught in a vicious circle where they aren't gaining weight as quickly as the HVs would like. Did you guys have any problems with your little ones not settling on the formula?? They have been told they can't change to a normal newborn formula.

They are feeding every 3 hours, taking up to an hour per feed, and then forever to wind, which I know can be particularly difficult for prem babies (I know Ewan suffered from wind and he was a 38week 7lb-er, so I can't begin to imagine how tough it is with premies). As a result, they are not sleeping well at all and the poor parents are on a 24hr cycle where one parents grabs a couple of hours sleep, whilst the other copes alone and so so. Any tips or suggestions for them please??

Emma78

Postby michelle79 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi Emma
This situation is very familiar, both myself and Ann had awful feeding problems, for us though it was not formula specific (i tried many different ones including soya) and they were all the same. Are the babies being treated for reflux, it's a very common cause of failure to put on weight. Do they have a neonatal out reach nurse, if not then they need to try and speak to the consultant or a decent GP about the possibility of reflux. Maybe suggest they raise the head end of whatever the babies are sleeping in to help at night. How long have they been home? It can take a while for the babies to adjust to night and day as the lights are always on in the NNU. We were at our wits end after 2 weeks with just Daniel from lack of sleep and we made the decision to move them into their own room. I know it goes against all advice but prem babies are soooo loud! Also try infacol before each feed. Mine used to take an hour to feed and were terribly windy but they did sleep through from 8 weeks corrected without a feed which helped. Things only really got easier for us when we started dropping bottles with weaning but don't tell them that obviously.
Michelle x
TTC since May 08

michelle79

Postby Platinum » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Emma, we had trouble with Nutriprem 2, but not anything like so early. E was about 4 months when she started to get stressed about feeding, and would be hungry but would take a couple of gulps and then literally gag with the taste of the stuff.

We forced it on her for about another month, and then she had a complete meltdown on a Sunday morning despite being really hungry, so we went straight to Boots and bought C&G stage 1 (being the same brand as Nutriprem 2). Even after this, E didn't feed happily for about a month, and we started weaning her early as a result. She would get stressed at even having a bib on, so we would just drape a muslin, and once she stopped drinking, she wouldn't take any more bottle if her basic hunger had been satisfied. So she went from having 4 feeds per day to 6 or 7.

I just rang up the HV and her consultant the following day and told them this was what we'd done, and why, and nobody tried to force me to put her back on Nutriprem. However, she was a bit older and was otherwise doing well. The consultant did prescribe extra vitamins for her.

If I had the time again I would not have force fed her - she had previously fed well (with the winding and reflux problems of course!) and she was just trying to tell us that she hated the taste. We should have listened!!

What I don't know is whether it's really possible that the taste buds have come in so fast with these twins. If their parents are SURE it is the taste of the milk, I would suggest they push harder for a switch to a 'normal' formula.

One thing that works for some (but didn't for us) is to mix Nutriprem with normal formula, to weaken the taste a bit.

Oh, and while we were in the neonatal unit, Elizabeth was on SMA Gold Prem, but she was switched to C&G Nutriprem 2 just before we took her home - I don't know whether a different prem formula might taste better, or if any others are available on ordinary prescription?

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Platinum x
TTC#1 since Dec 06
Gestational diabetes
Platinum

Postby ShiningStar1980 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 pm

How is everyone ?? I don't post much anymore at all sorry. I don't seem to have much time to myself these days.

Alison, a late response sorry but Harris got the rsv jag his first winter and still got bronchiolitis and ended up in hospital! The doc said that was very uncommon tho. Harris has cld and breathing probs so he catches everything that's going! He has had the flu jag each winter and it's brilliant. Hes had a sniffle but nothing serious. Touch wood. Lol.
Has your lo had the hernia op yet? Harris had a right side hernia operated on. He was fine. Just starving and ate constantly until 1am before he would go to sleep! He was 7 months old or 4 corrected. We didn't have any routine probes afterwards I don't think.

I'm still having poo poo trouble with Harris. It's a pain. He is brilliant with pees, but keeps pooping his pants at nursery.

Apart from the poopy pants, he's fab. I just want to press the pause button. Hes so funny and is now so much better with orla too. He's really protective of her. Yesterday in nursery he was showing her off to all his friends when she visited his room. Lol. He's such a cutie.

Orlas great. Apart from separation anxiety I think. Shes getting really vocal, say hi, bye and waves all the time.

Hope everyone is well. Are we all prepared for Xmas?

H. X
Baby Harris born at 27+6w, 2lb 9oz
ImageImage
Baby Orla born 37w2d, 8lb 0.5oz
ShiningStar1980

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood