The routine and sleep thread

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby dramaqueen27 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:25 pm

Steph- I have no words of wisdom either. Freya has been a pickle when it come to sleeping on and off since she was a newborn so I know how you feel.
Sticker reward chart is currently working 5 out of 7 nights.
A fellow Mummy sent me this link...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQZmU2GnUdA
Hope it puts a smile on your face.
Rachel (28)
Dx PCOS 2000
dramaqueen27

Postby anne » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi Steph,

I just wanted to send you big hugs. I'm not sure I have any advice, but just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

It's so hard trying to juggle 2 children and stop them waking each other. Can you put Harry to sleep somewhere else where Archie won't disturb him? It's the other way round in our house. Thomas is the light sleeper so we put Alex downstairs so Thomas doesn't hear him if he cries. A bit annoying and not the most practical, but it gets the most of us the most sleep.

As you know Thomas is a bit similar to Archie in needing loads of sleep and the more overtired he gets, the earlier he wakes etc. When we went through that bad patch in the summer it only got better when he got completely exhausted being outside all morning with Kindergarten and then would take a longer nap and thus starting sleeping better at night. Is there any way you can physically tire Archie so that he will sleep? When Alex falls asleep in the car, we always leave the engine running and whip him off to bed, could that work for Harry or does he wake when the movement stops? Have you tried super early bedtimes for Archie in the eve so that even if he is waking early, he is better rested? Not really sure what else to suggest.

Sending you lots of hugs and hope you can all get some sleep soon as I'm sure you're exhausted.
Anne x

anne

Postby Steph Pet! » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:50 pm

Hey Anne,

Thanks for the reply....we can't put Harry anywhere else as it's fine in the day and there is nowhere to have him sleep downstairs in the night so that isn't an option unfortunately.

Re: tiring him out....he goes to school one day a week and nursery 2 days per week then we are out solidly most weekends and if now we go to the park or soft play or something. I rarely spend an entire day in the house with them simply because Archie needs to do something active so not sure how much more i can do to tire him out....???

I've tried leaving the engine running and moving Harry but he's so light a sleeper that if anyone as much as touches him he wakes up...which is a right nightmare....as I said Archie I could swing around my head and he's stay asleep but H....no chance!!!

I've been trying to do earlier bedtimes as that seems to work but it's not always practical...especially when I return to work...as it is his bedtime is 7-7.15....DH gets home at 6.30 at the earliest and I'll not be far before him when I'm working. Tues night he was so bad he was put to bed before Harry at 6.20 and he slept til 7am was a joy Weds. Unfortunately doing this only works if Harry has slept well in the day and late enough for me to be able to stretch him past his 6.45pm bedtime....my aim is going to be getting them both in bed by 7pm so as of today I've brought milk and bathtime forward 30 mins....I'll just have to see how it pans out!

Damn kids lol!

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby anne » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:37 am

Hey Steph,

Seems you've tried most things already. The only thing I wondered is if you could go for a short drive after Harry's woken from a nap so he's not needing to sleep and see if Archie drops off and then come home if he will stay asleep once you're back.

Earlier bedtimes is the only thing that really works for us. I know it's tough when DH isn't home. The boys don't usually see DH if he's working either and bathtime is really hard now that Alex won't stay in his seat! Thomas has always gone down before Alex because I used to then BF Alex in his room and then put him down. So from that point of view it works well in their routine if Thomas is more tired than Alex (which is often the case since Alex has 2 naps at the childminder and Thomas only seems to manage every other day at kindergarten). Thomas goes to bed then Alex gets his milk (usually straight away but not always if he's not that tired) and then bed for him too. So it usually works out at about 6.30ish for Thomas and about 6.45 for Alex. I often hear Thomas talking and just processing the day when I come up, but he's then quiet til his gro clock.

Just when you think it's working they go and change something, so watch my routine go down the pan! Hope the early bedtimes work for you. BTW the book that I mentioned for Kasha says that once they drop their nap you should aim for a slightly earlier bedtime to compensate.

Right, must get on with work now.

anne

Postby Steph Pet! » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:55 am

That's about the only thing I haven't tried Anne the ride around mid afternoon in the car....might be worth it....

As it turns out he was in bed early again last night and he woke at 5am for a wee but went back down until 6.30am so maybe the early bedtime...as stressy and manic as it is....is the answer??

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby anne » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:58 am

How's it going Steph?

anne

Postby Steph Pet! » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:45 am

Hey Anne,

Totally forgot to reply the other day....had such a manic week I've been reading and flying.

Had been going well all week until this morning and I think I've worked out what it is waking him. Mark has been out lots and totally pre-occupied with this fundraising gig for his brother...last night he came home changed and flew out again....cue meltdown from Arch last night and 5am start this morning shouting for Daddy. Mark's been home all week this week and he's been good as gold....we've had a reward chart going and that's been helping. I think the waking has been due to a bit of Daddy separation anxiety cos he's barely seen him these last 2 weeks...the gig is tomorrow night so I'm hoping as of next week things will calm down a bit.

H on the other hand has stepped up a notch and waking at 3am again....lol...never ending with 2 of them is it?

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby **Fingerscrossed** » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:00 am

Hi Ladies,

Could do with a bit of advice from some more seasoned mums!

Katelynn is now just over 16 weeks old and for 2 weeks she was really quite poorly with a cold and conjunctivits (which we went to the docs several times for!). She was only drinking about half feeds (so no more than 60-90mls) and would rarely drink more frequently to try make up for it. Christmas Day thank god she woke up so much better and has been back to her normal chirpy active self since then. I would say it took a week after that to get back to drinking full feeds (she's bottle) which is 180mls on Aptamil hungry baby.

Before she got ill she was 95% of the time sleeping through the night, sometimes with a dream feed but not always - so about 8pm til 5.30am. The illness shook her routine a bit, especially at bedtime because she was so congested. Since then I have been struggling a bit to get her sleeping through, its like having a newborn again - waking minimum of 2 times a night and only really being comforted by milk. She slept through a couple of nights ago for the first time in ages but then again last night she was waking up 2-3 times, fed once, then ignored and then into our bed.

I would really love to have some sleep back again - does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking maybe she is on a growth spurt or just making up for all the milk she didnt drink when she was ill?

Naomi x
**Fingerscrossed**

Postby Kasha » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:11 pm

Naomi babies do have a bit of a growth spurt round about 4 months so it could just be that she's hungry. Or it could be that she's got into a habit of waking too.
Caoimhe did similar at 12 weeks and the hv told me to try anything to settle her first before giving a feed so you could try that too and see if it helps. But you might just have to ride it out.
Teaghan's currently having a feed around 1ish and 4 ish from going all night if that helps - we're in the same boat!

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby **Fingerscrossed** » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:15 pm

thanks helen, lol, sometimes it is just nice to know you're not alone in the boat :)
**Fingerscrossed**

Re: The routine and sleep thread

Postby Debbs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi ladies. Archie has just learned to roll. (sigh) lol. He is absolutely obsessed with it and gets very frustrated with it as he can turn over (finally) but cant turn back. My main worry is him turning over and getting stuck (logic tells me he'll cry but cant help worrying) also were continually getting up to turn him back over and im sooooo shattered. He prefers to sleep on his side as well. He'll settle on his back til about 2 ish and then wants to be on his side or rolls from then on. Ive allowed him to sleep on his side (HV would have a fit!) but do wonder how I can do this safely to stop him rolling. Also do you think packing him tightly on his side would stop him wanting to turn or would it frustrate him more? ANy tips welcome ladies. Thanks

Debbs
xxxxx
TTC since May/06
Sept/09 ICSI#1 Chem preg
Jan/10 FET#1 BFN
June/10 ICSI#2 BFN
Aug/10 FET#2 BFN
Jan/11 ICSI#3-BFP
NK cells, normal with elevated CD19 & CD5 immunes
Heterozygous+ PAI-1 gene polymorphism
Heterozygous+ MTHFR gene mutation
Debbs

Postby Steph Pet! » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:02 pm

Stick two small rolled up hand towels under the sheet either side of him pet...both of my boys have slept on their side from a young age....that'll stop him moving once u're happy with him rolling himself back and forward remove the towels....

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Kasha » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Teaghan prefers to sleep on her side too. She usually rolls onto her back and only once has she ever rolled onto her front (about a month ago) She would have been fine had I left her but of course you can't can you! I put her back on her back and she woke up (sigh) She likes being swaddled so if she's on her side i would put a light blanket over her and tuck it in behond her back so she could lean on it. I don't bother now. I put her down on her side now for all her naps and she's happy. Never had to use the towels as Steph suggests except for when she was tiny and that was only for day time naps.

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Debbs » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi ladies. I went in to check up on Archie last night and found him face down in the mattress breathing out of the side of his mouth. I quickly turned him over and put the towels under like you suggested Steph. He is such a wriggler and did m anage to move them a bit but they def helped. Bless Lottie though. She stays in exactly the same position as when you put her down. Shouldt say that should I? :lol:

Thanks ladies

Debbs
xxxxx
TTC since May/06
Sept/09 ICSI#1 Chem preg
Jan/10 FET#1 BFN
June/10 ICSI#2 BFN
Aug/10 FET#2 BFN
Jan/11 ICSI#3-BFP
NK cells, normal with elevated CD19 & CD5 immunes
Heterozygous+ PAI-1 gene polymorphism
Heterozygous+ MTHFR gene mutation
Debbs

Postby Yvette75 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Not sure if it is different becuase your two were prem, but the advice that I got was once they can turn over themselves you are OK to leave them on their front. That said my 2 used to roll over then cry as they couldn't get back! Both became tummy sleepers though.

Yvette
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood