The routine and sleep thread

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Postby Kasha » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:54 am

No, but i have been wondering about getting one. Never been a problem before this last few weeks. And since my hubby works nights when he comes in at 615 she knows when she hears him she can get up. But tbh she is normally not up much before 7. Will look into it tho, might be an idea.

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Steph Pet! » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:05 am

It works wonders for us pet!

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby bendy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:46 pm

We also had to put a stair gate across DS1's door as after 50 times of putting him back into bed (no exaggeration!) I got fed up, especially as I was about 39 weeks at that point. I agree with Steph that it is just them being protective of you. They know that something is going to happen and they worry about it, but can't put it into words, so just do what they know is going to get them more attention/time with you. It does get better - honestly!
3 rounds 50mg Clomid 2006 - No ovulation
Ovarian drilling Jan 07
3 rounds 100mg Clomid 2007 - No ovulation
Whilst waiting for appointment to start injectables got BFP naturally! DS born Nov 2008.
Second surprise natural BFP Oct 2010 (was 8
weeks gone), due 10th June 2011.
A big fan of ovarian drilling!!!!!!
bendy

Postby Kasha » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Quick question. I've been struggling to get Teaghan to sleep for longer than an hour in her moses basket, she settles and sleeps a lot better on us which obviously is not practical! I'm wondering if letting her sleep on her side is worth a try, and wondered if anyone else has had a baby that sleeps like this rather than on their back? I know they shouldn't. But this afternoon she actually managed to get herself on her side and seemed a lot more comfortable.
I've been feeding her hourly today and then trying to put her down unsucesfully. I've just put her down on her side with a blanket rolled behind her back just to see how long it lasts before she wakes up. I know its early days for a routine but i'm sure sleeping for spells less than an hour at a time osn't doing her any good! And is probably why she's feeding so often because she is only feeding for 10 min before falling asleep.
Any experience?

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby espoir » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Killian developed a bit of a flathead on the back of his head and one piece of advice was to put him sleeping on his side during the day, but not at night. I started a thread about flathead, and some of the ladies posted that they had put their LOs sleeping on their side.
espoir

Postby Yvette75 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:34 pm

When Christopher was re-admitted to hospital when he was 3 weeks old with feeding problems the nurses told me to put him to sleep on his side! He slept better in there than he ever did at home.

I have to admit that I did bring Emily in bed with me (DH was in the spare room) for the first few weeks as it was the only way I was getting any sleep at all! It didn't scar her for life and she slept through the night from 10 weeks so don't worry about getting into bad habits now just do whatever you need to get some sleep and safeguard your own sanity.

Yvette x
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby Kasha » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:40 am

Well i ended up waking her up at 2 for a feed as she had laast fed at 930 and had been flat out in her moses ssince 1030 so it's not the basket lol she was on her back too. We then had a lot of to-ing and fro-ing til we both nodded off during a feed at 5, i woke up at 630 absolutely mortified that i had slept with her on me (can't shake the sids fear, doesn't help that we had 2 cot deaths last year at work where mum had fallen asleep during a feed :( ) she was lay across my tummy with her head on my skin, completely happy. We dosed for another hour before i put her in her moses again and then woke her up at 830 for a bath and feed!
I think it's really a case that she likes being next to my skin. I'm going to carry on trying to avoid sleping withh her but might just discuss it with the midwife to see what she says. It's not likely i would smother her as i am a very light sleeper and i also tend to not move, plus i am propped up in bed when i feed her and i don't feed her lay down as i know some ladies prefer. But even so it worries me.
I think we're going to need a dummy at some point. Just like caoimhe she seems to be a very sucky baby, but i want to wait as long as i can before getting to that point.

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Kasha » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:57 pm

Ok me again lol.
When did people get babies into a bedtime routine? Tim is back at work now and this week bedtime is completey down to me. I decided to start it tonight, knowing i have tim downstairs if it all goes pear shaped!
So i've brought caoimhe and teaghan to bed together. Fed teaghan, pjs, bed then bathed caoimhe, story, bed. Completely not working lol. I am typing this on my ipad feeding teaghan again to try and get her to sleep. I ended up taking her into caoimhe's room, which messed up my caoimhe/mummy time and left a very fed up and upset toddler (who is still not asleep)
Thought it might be a tad easier because usually after a feed at about 6/7pm teaghan is out for the count til 10. Is (nearly) 3 weeks old too young for a routine?
Dreading tomorrow night when i will be on my own.

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Yvette75 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:18 pm

To be honest I kept Emily downstairs with me until I went to bed at 10-10.30pm as I couldn't be doing with toing and froing up and down the stairs whilst Christopher was going to bed. Teaghan is only very young still, what I would do in your shoes is try to feed her just before you start Caiomhe's bedtime routine so that she will hopefully either sleep or sit quietly, then get Caiomhe to bed then worry about settling Taeghan later. Even when we had a bedtime routine for Emily it involved getting Christopher to bed for 7pm then feeding and getting Emily for bed at 7.30-8pm that way I only had to get one or other of them ready at any one time. At about 8 months I brought Emily's bedtime forward to 7pm and I can now get both of them ready together but I couldn't have done this when they were younger. I also bath both of mine in the morning so don't need to do this at bedtime.

Good luck! and if you only have one of them crying then you are doing well! In the early days I would so often have both of mine screaming the place down.

Yvette x

Yvette75

Postby Steph Pet! » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:26 pm

Harry was 3 weeks when we put his routine in but he was bottle fed so feeding is different in a lot of ways. It's a military operation and there have been nights when harry has been screaming and I've had to run back and forwards in the middle of stories but it does get easier...I aim to get him down while Arch is in the bath now so he has the time to settle before story time....stick with it hun it will pay off in the long run....few weeks in and you'll have a little routine going just fine!

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Kasha » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Well i've given up lol and teaghan is now downstairs with me. Really thought we'd be reasonably ok with her sleeping so well in the evening.
But amazingly enough caoimhe is flat out, with little fuss for the first time in weeks possibly because she knows Teaghan went to bed when she did?
Yvette i think you're right that shes a bit little i suspected as much but i know some people have strted a routine quite young. Caoimhe was 12 weeks when we started a routine.
I think i'm going to have to carry on with it because 1 wk out of 3 I'm on my own til 1030.
How do people do it??

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Steph Pet! » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:41 pm

It's stressy hun but it's all about having a military operation and being organised....I lay the bath out 30 mins before i need it....everything is sorted before i start and it takes about 1h30 to sort both of them into bed...!

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Yvette75 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:43 pm

If i'm honest I think you'll struggle to get a demand fed BF baby into a strict bedtime routine that will fit with that of your toddler so soon so i'd personally go with the trying to placate Taeghan by her having a full tummy then get Caiomhe ready for bed. Don't be hard on yourself as I found the first month or two with my 2 the hardest and as I said in my earlier post if only one of them is crying then you are doing well!

Yvette x

Yvette75

Postby Kasha » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:53 pm

Realistically it is only 4 nights every 3 weeks when I'm completely alone. So tho i would like to get them both settled, and i am defi itely all for routine steph lol would not manage without it even with one!
Teaghan is demand fed, and currently comfort fed as well as she is very sucky and won't have a dummy really tho she is getting better with it. So i was expecting it to be hard.
Tbh if i can just get her to have a nap in her basket while i sort Caoimhe out then i will happily bring her downstairs for a bit.

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Kasha » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:33 pm

Me again lol just after some tips. Teaghan is really unsettled during the day, absolutely drove me mad today! I am pretty convinced it stems from bring over tired, because she only seems to nap most days, probably only half hour tops each time, and once shes up and being cuddled she settles with a dummy, often nodding off rather than rooting. Saying that i am still feeding her 2 hrly in the day. Any tips on getting her to sleep for longer in the day? I solved the problem of her being unsettled in the evening by taking her to bed at 6:30, but now she's doing it all day!
I don't know if caoimhe was an easier baby or it was just that i could let her sleep on me during the day!

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood