The routine and sleep thread

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

The routine and sleep thread

Postby purplestar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:55 pm

A place where you can chat about baby's routine and any sleep problems. :)
Diagnosed '93, Met since March '00 (2000mg/day), Spironolatone & Yasmin (when not ttc)

ImageImage

Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
purplestar
Verity Moderator

Postby DawnyB » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:09 pm

This is kinda a cross post for the 2 new threads...

Can you really have a routine with breast feeding on demand? I'm struggling with the routine part and BF is going great now... HELP!
MrsB was time for a name change :)

Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity

ImageImage

Ranty mum diary - my blog
DawnyB
Verity Admin

Postby purplestar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:12 pm

I found that Sidney sort of fell into his own routine after a few months, Dawn. My friend hoever followed Gina Ford to the letter, and had her boy in a strict routine from quite early on- she exclusively fed.
Diagnosed '93, Met since March '00 (2000mg/day), Spironolatone & Yasmin (when not ttc)

ImageImage

purplestar
Verity Moderator

Postby Gill » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:28 am

Izzy gt hersle fin a routine too eventually. Connor loved routine and was in one much sooner but we were more laid back with Izzy (I exclusively BF)
Image Image ImageImage
Gill

Postby Sian » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:21 pm

Great idea. Mrs B I don't know about how it would work with BF exclusively as I have done BF with bottle top ups since Cerys was 2 weeks but from about 3 weeks Cerys has been in a pretty good rountine. We cracked the evenings first and then the day sort of follows. I BF at about 5pm then she has time without her nappy on and a bath and about 6:15 to 6:30 she has a bottle and then goes down between about 7 - 7:30. We then wake her at 10:30 for a bottle and she was then sleeping until about 2 - 3am, however the past two nights she has gone to 4am!!! She then wakes about 7 and feeds between 7-7:30, 10 - 10:30 and 2 - 2:30. The timmings are loosley based on Gina Ford but I am not following her to the letter as quite frankly how you get any baby to stick to it exactly I'll never know, although I have friends who swear by it. I had always planned on getting Cerys into a rountine but it was forced upon us quite early on as we had BF issues and so I had to wake her every 3 hours to feed. Even now I find that she rarely crys to be fed as I pre-empt her hunger with the rountine. I was worried that was bad but the health visitor said it was fine as long as she put on weight and it worked for me which it does, I feel so much calmer as I cna plan for going out or visitors so much easier and can tweak the rountine if needs be. Maybe it's worth keeping a note of when your little man wakes to be fed to see if there is any pattern and then try to make a rountine from that if you want to.
My big issue at the moment is daytime naps. Cerys was a really sleepy baby and feeding took so long initially with BF and bottle each time that all she did was feed and sleep. Now however she is 7 weeks and is more awake which is lovely but I am struggling with how much sleep she needs during the day. She will sometimes have 30 mins at about 9am and sometimes at 3:30 although she is often getting a bit grumbly by then and lunctime ranges from 30 mins to 2 hours if we are out and she is in the car seat. I am worried that that is not enough but on the flip side she is so good at night that I worry that if I keep trying to get her to go down at scheduled times during the day and make it into a battle I will throw out her bedtime rountine and she will be awake more in the night. She is a pretty happy baby most of the time so I guess I should just follow her lead and see what she needs each day it's just that so many other people seem to say that their babies have 2 hours in the middle of the day every day that I worry that I should be aiming for this two. What does everyone else do?
PS sorry for long post, I think that's what happens when you only have a 7 week old at home to talk too!!!
Sian

Postby Sian » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:51 pm

Classic example, Cerys started yawning at 12 so brought her upstairs, had a cuddle in nursery, put her in sleeping bag and left her. She starts to grumble, I left her for a bit then went in and picked her up. She burped and gave herself hiccups so when they had stopped I put her down and she went to sleep for about 35 mins. She has just been crying so have been in, pciked her up, a bit of a burp and so put her down. As soon as I put her down she starts to cry. I have just given her a dummy to see if that will send her off. I am sure she must be tired as she has had no sleep since she woke at 7 but if she keeps waking how long do I keep trying to put her down for?
Sian

Postby puddock » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:03 pm

I BF on demand (with the odd bottle thrown in when needed), and we did not really have any sort of routine - I didn't want one - but we did after a while fall into what you might call a pattern or a sequence - not as fixed time-wise, but days grew more predictable and things tended to happen in the same order at least!
For a while I found the baby whisperer EASY (eat-activity-sleep-you time) order of doing things useful, especially the principle of his feed coming after sleep not before, so as not to always be feeding him off to sleep.
puddock

Postby Sian » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:26 pm

I liked the baby whisperer principle before Cerys was born but I have had real difficulty in keeping her awake to do the activity part. She is 7 weeks now and after her 2:30pm feed she might go on her activity mat for about 10 minutes but other than that after every other feed she just wants to sleep. Is this just because she is still only young? How do other people keep their babies awake or don't you?
Sian

Postby deebee » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Ladies, can I please join this thread......

Louisa is 6 weeks tomorrow and I'm exlusively BF her and it seems as though she has got herself into a sort of routine.

On a nightime she sleeps for 5/6 hours as a first batch, then 2 x 3 hours stints, which is kind of predictable and she has done this for about a week now. Louisa is a little more distrupted during the day and I'm waiting for her to get herself sorted during the day.

I've found writing down the day useful, i.e. time feeding and times sleeping and I can see a routine forming.

My plan (which hopefully will work!?) is to see the pattern that Louisa gets herself into then try and set the times for her.

The one thing I do though is have a set bath time at night and I've done this from about 2 weeks, so I don't know if this has helped with the night time sleeping.
DD - born December 2008
deebee

Postby purplestar » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:34 pm

We found that night times became a little easier once we'd started our routine (to include the bath). Funnily enough, if we miss the bath for some reason, then Sidney has a rubbish night's sleep!

ImageImage

purplestar
Verity Moderator

Postby hrgal » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:24 am

Sian - when they are so tiny the 'activity' part might = having their nappy changed. Don't stress, sounds like you are all doing really well and understand your babies brilliantly :)

hrgal

Postby beshem » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:02 pm

Can I join in?!!!

I too am ebf Henry, he is now 7 weeks and we still have no routine and i'm in desperate need for some decent sleep ( I class decent as 4hrs).

He sleeps in our bed as I find that easier doing the night feeds. At the moment we swaddle him as his jerky movements wake him up.

Any ideas ladies? Thanks x

beshem

Postby DawnyB » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi beshem,

I can't really offer much advice as Robert is only 5 weeks old, but I have found that I actually sleep much better if he goes down into his crib beside our bed and I just sit in the bed for feed time.

Also, he seems to sleep better too, as he is a much happier wee man in the mornings after a night in his own bed.

I'm not sure if thats an option for you, but it may be worth trying.

Good luck xxx
MrsB was time for a name change :)

ImageImage

Ranty mum diary - my blog
DawnyB
Verity Admin

Postby Sian » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:10 pm

Beshem, we tried to crack the nightime bit first in terms of feeding and sleeping. I don't exclusively breastfeed so don't know if it makes a difference but doing a feed, then a bath, then another feed and then in crib by 7 gives us an evening and then a feed at about 10:30 gives us until 3:30 - 4am presently. We put Cerys in her big cot in her own room during day and after her bath and then in her crib next to our bed after 10:30 feed. I know a lot of people say that introducing a bath and bed routine helps from a really young age so maybe it is worth a try.
Thanks for the compliment hrgal - it just all comes with time doesn't it. I am realising that I do really need to persevere with the daytime naps as if Cerys doesn't get any sleep in the day -like today- she feeds badly at 5 and is more difficult to settle at 7 as she is overtired.
Sian

Postby Sian » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm

I am really struggling with the daytime nap thing. Cerys had about 40 mins this morning at about 9, then at 12 after she had been fed she was yawning so I tried o put her down, she was quiet for about 30 mins and then started crying, I tried changing her, burping her, sitting her on my lap in the nursery in the dark with a dummy and they all made her quiet but as soon as I put her down she started crying again. By 1:30 she was screaming and only 30 mins off her next feed so I fed her and I have now tried to put her down aagin as she was yawning but she is grumbling away. It's to the point where I spend the whole time between feeds trying to get her to sleep and either she wont or she nods off just before she is due her next feed so she gets very little sleep. I can see that she is tired and on the rare occassions that I get her to have a lunchtime nap she is so much happier in the afternoon and feeds so much better so I know she needs it but I just don't know how to make her realise she needs it. Any ideas?
Sian

Next

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood