The feeding thread (breast, bottle, and weaning)

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: The feeding thread (breast, bottle, and weaning)

Postby sicily » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'm absolutely determined to breastfeed but getting a bit scared by all the horror stories I'm hearing - they're almost worse than the labour stories which I decided a long time ago to try and ignore!

here's just a few examples - painful nipples that make you cry with pain, cracked and bleeding nipples, babies not latching on, undiagnosed tongue tie, milk not coming in for days and babies losing lots of birthweight or getting severely dehydrated and MWs pressuring you to top up with formula which then affects supply... Does anyone have any tips on getting it right? I know I need to try and have skin to skin as soon as possible after labour and will be putting on my birth plan that whatever state I'm in, they must try and put baby skin to skin on me ASAP even if DH has to hold the baby there for me and also I know I need to offer breast to baby frequently in first few days and wake them up to feed. Any other tips?
sicily

Postby espoir » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:50 pm

Sicily, I think you have to just wait and see, but if you can read up on BF beforehand and go to some classes I think it'd be great. I thought I was informed but it was only after the experience that I realised how little I knew. I found Clare Byram Cook very helpful - I got this DVD when I was struggling http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breast-Feeding- ... 482&sr=8-1, and wished I'd had it sooner.

For breast pads - i didn't really leak at all, although i was expressing, so maybe that made a difference, and never used the pads I'd got at all. These ones seemed interesting to me at the time but have no idea how effective they are in reality. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Theraline-Mamma ... -1-catcorr

For sore nipples, silver cups are supposed to be really good http://www.breastangels.co.uk/how-it-works.html. I was using them and a herbal cream I got from my MW. Not sure which was the most effective but my nipples healed up quickly.
espoir

Postby Chicken » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:43 am

I think just perseverence is the biggest thing you can do. I didn't have skin to skin as it was a couple of hours before we were reunited and by then she was all bundled up in clothes from the special baby care unit but it hasn't stopped me.

I had cracked nipples, issues with latch, infection, thrush and cried during feeds during the first few weeks as it was agonising. She did lose weight and was slow to gain but as long as she was going up they were really supportive that I continue to EBF. Get the number now of a breast feeding councillor who you can talk to and who will come out to you to watch a feed. Also have the support lines handy!

I kept going and now BF feels like the easiest thing in the world and at almost 8 weeks she hasn't had anything but breast milk.

There is nothing wrong with formula so don't be too hard on yourself if you do need to combination feed, or can't BF at all but if it is something you really want to do then just remember it is possible to come through theses painful first few weeks!
Chicken

Postby sicily » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:34 pm

Thanks chicken, v inspiring! X
sicily

Postby sammykins » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi ladies!

I have a couple of questions and I hope someone will be able to help answer them. DD is 2 weeks old and she is breast and bottle-fed. We have no latch issue or nipple confusion, she goes from one to the other without any problems.
I have noticed some of her poos have been kind of oily and I'm wondering if this is normal or not. I didn't really BF DD1 and I don't remember oily poos with her, so I'm wondering if this is to do with the fact DD2 is partially breastfed? Also, just to give all the info, she has oral thrush and been prescribed Daktarin gel which we have started administering today - could the thrush be a reason for oily poo?

My 2nd question is about actual breastfeeding. We usually have DD on the breast first for about 15-20 min, and she then has a bottle if formula (or expressed BM if I have expressed enough). My breasticles are not small (currently in 34JJ bras), and I do not have physical signs of "needing" to feed (like engorged or lumpy boobs), I do not leak and I cannot tell if/when DD has emptied the breast. If I squeeze after she has fed, there is still milk coming out, same after I have expressed. Does this sound normal or does it mean I need to feed/express for longer? At the moment I express 20min on each side.

Thanks ladies!

sammykins

Postby Mrs Wilko » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Hiy

I can't help with the oily poo, I've never notice cd it with Connie (like you, I didn't bf Dd1) but I have experiences the same as you with regard to not feeling engorged and still leaking. I know I produce though and can express 8oz (over 200ml) in half an hour but still hand express some after I've fed/expressed. I think this has to do with the fact that the majority of milk is produced as you're feeding so you'll always have a bit extra when you attempt it even after you've fed, so I shouldn't worry. Of course, I'm kind of new to this so I could be wrong!

I also never feel a let down our feel ' empty' either so have always wondered how people tell!
Natural surprises BFP 07/2007 and 01/2012

PCOS diet 10/2010 to 11/2011 lost 7st in total BMI down from 48 to 28
Back again to loose the weight after a break (and a baby!) 01/2013

*Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Mrs Wilko
Verity Moderator

Postby Kasha » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:34 pm

If it is any help i only felt let down when Caoimhe was about 6 wk old (teaghan a bit younger) and i rarely felt 'empty' i was told tho to only feed from one side unless baby wants more and your boob is empty. I could feed for more than 20mins from one side without either of my girls emptying me and needing the other side.
Can't help with the oily poos. Not noticed them with mine but it quite possibly could be the daktarin, or even maybe something you ate?

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby sammykins » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks ladies, sorry for the late reply, it's a bit hectic here!!

The oily poo has gone, so it probably was something I ate.

Kirsty - I also never feel the "let down". However, a change happened since the last time I posted, in that I have started leaking from the breast I am not feeding when I feed with the other one. Am I sad to be happy about it?! All this is new to me seeing as I had so many problems with breastfeeding first time round, so I am really happy!
And Kirsty - 8oz in 30 min is impressive! My supply is not great compared to yours, I only ever manage to express about 2oz at a time, so I'm hoping the fenugreek will help improve that!

thanks again! xx

sammykins

Postby sicily » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:27 pm

Hello everyone, here I am and managing to bf after a tricky start but being well supported. I'm off to a bf cafe on Friday to get advice on boosting supply although hopefully not an issue as baby seems to be pooing & weeing well Altho still quite sleepy on the breast & sometimes has very short feeds.

I have a question though, has anyone experienced hot flushes & night sweats? I'm getting them and it is so unPleasant, similar but even worse to clomid hot flushes. I usually get them about 10-15 minsbefore it is time for a feed. By the morning I feel positively gross & desperate to shower. Also the soles of my feet feel super sweaty while I'm feeding! Pleass tell me it gets better! X
sicily

Postby anne » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi Sicily,
Apparently hot flushes and night sweats are common when bf as our hormones become more like those of a menopausal woman. I can't remember how long it lasts for, but it does pass and is quite normal.
Glad it's going well.
Anne

anne

Postby NiCoLa_x » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi ladies,

I need a little help with 5 week old dd. I have been giving her 4oz for 2 weeks now of which she mostly takes. I tried upping it to 5oz but she only took the full amount once. Over the past few days she has been taking hardly any of her bottle, about one oz then having a half hour-45 min break then taking another 1-2oz but never finishing it. She seems to be peeing and pooing normal and is sleeping longer through the night. Should I be worried or is this a normal phase? Thanks

Nic xx
My Ovulation Chart
TTC since March 09
On metformin
Natural BFP Oct 11: Early MC :(
Natural BFP March 12: Fingers crossed :)
Baby Hannah born 20/12/2012 8lb12oz :)
NiCoLa_x

Postby Yvette75 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Is she settled otherwise. Does she cry or have problems getting wind up? It could just be that she's a bit off colour at the moment and may be a phase that will pass. How much milk is she taking in a 24 hour period? If 20oz+ then I honestly wouldn't worry and see how it goes over the next week or so. Jessica is 20 weeks old and has 1 x 6oz bottle when she wakes and 4 x 5oz bottles and she doesn't always finish them. At 5 weeks old she was taking 3-4oz 7 or so times per day.

Yvette
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby SilverLining » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi Sicily. I had those hot sweats/flushes for weeks after giving birth. There is a post further down. They are not as bad now and started to calm down about New Year time. It does get better. Just try and keep cool, I used that water cooling spray. Try to wear cotton.
I did end up going to the GP about them and had blood tests which came back my hormone levels (prolactin) is 5x higher than it should be. GP was very concerned until I told him I still breast feed and he was like oh, that will be why then.

Hope you feel cooler soon
SilverLining

Postby Fitch » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi I'm new to this forum, have been reading for a while but finally thought I would write!!!
I have a 3 month old son after trying for 6 years, 3 x misscarages, used clomid - all BFN, lost weight and eventually after getting a new dr he gave me metformin and the first month BFP!!
I have a question about how often baby should feed and how much!! I bf at first but was never very comfortable with feeding in public due to tongue tie and falling off so i expressed gave bottles and bf at night. He now has formula feeds during day and breast at night!! my question is he has never gone longer than 3 hours between feeds and most of the time it's 21/2 hours he takes 5 oz at most feeds occasionally 4 or 6 but only ever goes 3 hourly!! He isn't in any routine he sleeps when he wants and feeds when he wants but we do have a bed time routine and he goes down at 7 and maybe only wakes once about 1 or 2. How can I get him to go 4 hourly or do I even need too?? Will he just find his own routine in time?? He is a cat napper in the day could this be why??

Thanks in advance for help!! X
Fitch

Postby Yvette75 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:40 pm

None of my children have ever gone 4 hourly as a regular thing in the day. Sometimes they will sleep through the 3 hour point in which case I leave them until they wake. 3 hourly is what Jessica does most of the time but sometimes she will look for more milk after 2.5 hours. I have always fed mine when I think they are hungry and not by the clock. Sounds like what you are doing is working fine.

To be honest if you try to stretch his feeds out to 4 hourly in the day you will probably find that he is looking for another bottle during the night. Babies need a certain amount of milk and their tummies are only big enough to take so much - none of mine have ever taken more than 5-6oz of milk so the more they take in the day the less they will wake at night is the theory. Little and often works best.

Yvette
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood