The feeding thread (breast, bottle, and weaning)

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: The feeding thread (breast, bottle, and weaning)

Postby Kasha » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:14 pm

I didnt express often, and the best person to ask is probably Yvette. But I only put the milk expressed in one 'sitting' into one bottle, if i did happen to express again later that day i put it in a different bottle or pot.
I used to warm it up by putting the bottle into a jug of hot water, as its the only way I know how!

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Yvette75 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:34 pm

I used to express into a new bottle each time but would then mix milk from bottles to make up a feed. In theory though you can add milk to a bottle for a day in the fridge then freeze.

To heat use a jug of boiling water. Do not use the microwave as this can damage some of the properties of EBM. Also don't shake EBM as you would formula but rather swirl it to mix the fatty bits in/warm evenly as again shaking will damage some of the properties of the EBM.

Yvette
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby CasTTC » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:53 am

Yvette I never knew that about swirling it. Must try that next time.

I think mixing breast milk is fine as long as you treat the milk in the bottle as the earliest date if that makes sense. I always expressed into a new bottle then mixed as not good to keep taking it out of the fridge. I couldn't have done it if not as sometimes hardly got any off but didn't want to waste it.
Diagnosed PCOS Nov 2009
BFP (natural) Nov 2009 (ttc for 20 months)
DD born 20th June 2010 (37 wks, 5 days - induced)
BFP (natural) Nov 2011 (ttc for 3 months)

CasTTC

Postby SilverLining » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks ladies! I just needed to express as Luna is constantly feeding and making me sore. I've put plenty of lansinoh lanolin on my breast pad and placed on boobs and they have helped a great deal so I don't need to use ebm yet. But if I do, I'll know what to do
SilverLining

Postby Mrs Wilko » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Afternoon ladies,

Sorry for the crappy post but we've just had the mw come round for Connie's 10 day check and she's made me feel awful. this is a usual occurence with this mw and had been throughout the pregnancy unfortunately.

Anyway, at day 5 Connie lost 180g (only 4% of her bw) of her bw and was weighed in a nappy, this time at day 10 she was weighed naked and had lost another 100g to which the mw suggested topping her up with formula.

Neither ian or I want to do it but obviously will if Connie loses much more. She's coming round again on wednesday to weigh her again and if she's lost again she'll "have to ring a paediatrician"to get advice.
I know I should go with what she's suggesting, but the signs seems to suggest that Connie is getting enough, plenty of wet and dirty nappies and feeding for ob average 15 to 20 minutes (sometimes longer) every 2 to 3 hours but going longer at night.

Any suggestions at all? Had anyone had the same thing?
Natural surprises BFP 07/2007 and 01/2012

PCOS diet 10/2010 to 11/2011 lost 7st in total BMI down from 48 to 28
Back again to loose the weight after a break (and a baby!) 01/2013

*Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Mrs Wilko
Verity Moderator

Postby Yvette75 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:27 pm

((((((((((Kirsty)))))))))))))

They should really weigh them naked as otherwise you can't tell whether or not they have actually gained or lost.

As you know I had problems feeding Jessica this time and at day 8 she was still losing weight - she had lost 1.5lb - 700g by that point so a lot more than Connie had lost. The advice I was given was 2 x 30ml top ups per day (either formula or EBM) but as you know I discovered by expressing that the issue was one of non-existent supply - we hadn't had a pooey nappy from day 4-8 - again indicative of Jessica not getting enough.

If you can express and top up (via syringe or cup to avoid nipple confusion) then this is probably the best way to top up as it will also help with your supply expressing. If you do top up with formula then try to express at the same time so as to avoid supply issues.

I would also suggest putting Connie to the breast every 2 hours in the day (and 3 hours at night) so that she isn't going too long between feeds until Wednesday - this was the advice that I was given with Christopher and Emily.

If Connie is settled and weeing and pooing which by the sounds of it she is, then take a deep breath and see what Wednesday brings.

Put the paed threat to the back of your mind. I know from experience that MWs do this to frighten you into formula feeding as if you formula feed/top up then their life is made easier as LO gets back to birthweight and they can discharge you both.

Make sure you are eating well yourself and leave the housework!

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby Rach P » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:31 pm

Kirsty what is her total weight loss percentage wise? Have you considered the fact that she it may well be that she hasn't actually lost anymore than when she was first weighed or if she has it may not be much ? She shouldn't have been weighed in her nappy so really we have no idea of actually how heavy she was when weighed at day five.

If she is having lots of wet and dirty nappies she must be getting something because if it weren't going in it wouldn't be coming out. Just to reassure you when Alanis was weighed at day five she had lost 12% of her birthweight and I was advised to top up with formula. She was having plenty of wet and dirty nappies and feeding well by that point so I was reluctant to top up so we agreed that I would offer her the breast more often and see what her weight gain/loss was the next time she was weighed. Thankfully she was gaining again by then.

Oh and a final thought Yvette is very accomplished at expressing so knows her supply well and how to maximise it, but I just wanted to reassure you and tell you not to panic if you express and don't get much. Your body lets down milk very differently to expressing as it does to an actual baby so wait until she has been weighed again before panicing about supply. My supply is fine, but I have to really work hard at expressing!

Let us know how you get on.
Diagnosed 05
BFP 8/4/08 - Clomid #2 (100mg) - EDD 13/12/08
Alanis & Danté born in hospital at 38+5 on 4/12/08 weighing 6lb6oz & 6lb13oz
Natural BFP 3/9/11 - EDD 2/5/12
Eden born in water at home at 39+4 on 29/4/12 weighing 7lb6oz

http://thiswomansworkblog.blogspot.com/
Rach P

Postby Mrs Wilko » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Thanks for your replies ladies. Connie has lost a total of 8.1% of her birthright so within the expectations of breastfed babies had she lost it by day 5. Her main point was that she'd lost 280g over both weigh in's and hasn't gained weight like "normal" by day 10.

I just feel like I'm trying so hard and letting Connie down...
Natural surprises BFP 07/2007 and 01/2012

PCOS diet 10/2010 to 11/2011 lost 7st in total BMI down from 48 to 28
Back again to loose the weight after a break (and a baby!) 01/2013

*Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Mrs Wilko
Verity Moderator

Postby Chicken » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:23 pm

(((Hugs)))

Breast feeding is bloomin hard. Grace is 4.5 weeks now and we are still struggling.

At 5 days she had lost about 5% and at her 10 day check she had gained a small amount but was still below her birth weight, I wasn't discharged from midwife care until she was 3 weeks as she was slow to get back to her birth weight but was doing plenty of wet and dirty nappies, was alert and a good colour and they knew I was having bf issues. She had a growth spurt at 2 weeks where she suddenly gained.

At the breast feeding support group I went to today they said that bf babies don't follow a smooth curve and they would expect her growth chart to look more like steps. I'm sure Connie will follow this pattern, just keep feeding her every couple of hours as Yvette suggests.

I'm still really sore one side with a constant pain. She won't stay latched on when feeding and bobs on and off the whole time. She is also really unsettled with bad colic. My GP gave me antibiotics but I think I have thrush reading up so that is the worst treatment she could have given me. Going to try and get a breast feeding councillor to come and see me feed at home as my next step, just fed up with it being so problematic.
Chicken

Postby Yvette75 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Kirsty,

If she was weighed in her nappy she may well have lost more by day 5 than they first though - can you weigh the next wet nappy and just see what it weighs out of interest - this may give you all or some of the 100g that she has now allegedly lost. To give you an idea - Jessica had lost 19% of her birthweight by day 8 and even then the MW wasn't overly concerned and certainly wasn't taking advice from a paed as Jessica was alert. Even with that amount of weight loss I was only advised 2 x 30ml top ups of EBM or formula.

Personally if I was in your shoes (and i've had issues with all 3 of mine as newborns) I would put her to the breast more and ride the next 2 days out then get a true picture at the next weigh in on Wednesday then take it from there. Main thing though is try not to stress about it (easy for me to say I know).

Hugs,

Yvette

Yvette75

Postby Kasha » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Kirsty sending you loads of love first of all. Establishing breastfeeding is hard work, but from the sounds of it i would say you are doing really well.
Just been looking at Teaghan's book for confirmation of what i thought and she didnt go above birthweight until 14 days. She lost about 150g i think (im rubbish at metric) which admittedly isnt quite as much as Connie but at no point did any of the mw i saw threaten me with paeds or suggest top ups. The were happy that she was weeing ok, she wasnt pooing every day and they werent even bothered about that. They just told me to keep doingn what i was doing, make sure i was eating and drinking well and wake her 3 hrly for feeds, especially over night. I personally eouldnt worry about expressing just now. Like Yvette says just ride it out and wait and see what occurs at the next visit. Lots of skin to skin time and cuddle time, let her have boob whenever she wants it and dont let her go more than 3 hrs.

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby SilverLining » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:01 pm

(((((Kirsty)))))
I can't say anymore other than what Yvette and the others have said but you are doing a fantastic job. Connie is weeing and pooping so surely she is getting something right?
I was in the same situation as you when Luna was approaching 2 weeks. The weight loss, the formula top up and the mw making you feel utterly awful. I was about one day away from buying a pump and expressing. I knew supply wasn't an issue as I was constantly leaking. Also I was going to buy formula and bottles just so everyone gave me a break but I persevered and me and Luna got on with it and she finally put weight on. She was approaching 3.5 weeks by the time she had gained more than her birth weight.
Luna was a cheeky thing, I'd find she would latch great, suckle a bit and then sleep. With the lack of sleep for me during the nights, her falling asleep meant I could have five minutes but I then realised that if I kept waking her so she had a decent feed then she would sleep and so would I. The only way to wake her during feeds was to put her in her crib/pram. Within one minute she would wake and then feed again. I would do this until she had a belly full and would stay to sleep for at least an hour. I didn't twig about this until about 3-4 weeks. Is Connie sleeping once she has started feeding? If so, give something like that a try.

Don't beat yourself up about it. We have all been here with weight issues. I'm sure you have given some ladies advice about this yourself. It really doesn't help you having that horrid midwife either. Make sure you eat/drink plenty too. I always make sure I have a cuppa and a biscuit. Let me know if you want that coffee and cake during the school hols x
SilverLining

Postby Beanicle » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:17 am

Hi ladies

I know at only 10 weeks it is a bit premature to be thinking about this but..... I was wondering if anyone had any experience with tandem feeding?

E is still breastfed - she has never taken milk from a bottle or cup (breast milk or cows milk). She just realises its not water, gobs it out and then won't go near the cup again!

I think I am happy with the idea of tandem feeding if she doesn't self wean through my pregnancy. I'm not sure how keen my family would be though :lol:

I just wondered if anyone had any experience they could share with me of how practical it is and how it worked for them.

E will be nearly 2 when the baby arrives (all continuing to be well).

Thank you :)
diagnosed with Endometriosis Oct 06 and PCOS Sept 09
4th cycle clomid and metformin - BFP!!!

Amazing surprise BFP on 23/9/12!!! Just on met this time EED 18/5/13
Beanicle

Postby CasTTC » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:31 am

I've met a few mums at breastfeeding group who have tandem fed so if you're happy then go for it. One lady I know doesn't tell people as she thinks they'd judge but at 2 you're unlikely to ever have to feed her in public. My DD self weaned at 1 and soon after guzzled cows milk but at first rejected it. I just kept offering but neve pushed it. She also potty trained just after 2 and went straight out of nappies at night too so I stopped her bedtime milk and any fluids after 6pm. She now only has milk in the mornings. What I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that you'll find your 2 year old much different to how she is/feeds now. I always think as long as everyone's happy then just go with the flow.
Diagnosed PCOS Nov 2009
BFP (natural) Nov 2009 (ttc for 20 months)
DD born 20th June 2010 (37 wks, 5 days - induced)
BFP (natural) Nov 2011 (ttc for 3 months)

CasTTC

Postby Kasha » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:52 am

I didnt want to tandem feed as i thought it would be too exhausting for me, especially as i will have 3 under 5. I also didnt want to have to deal with jealousy from the oldest as she wouldnt be included! So i have now stopped feeding Teaghan and i cant really offer you any advice!
I did speak to my midwife about feeding through pregnancy and she said i would probably find that Teaghan would self wean as the milk changes, due to hormones, and also that my body will put the baby first right from the beginning so will not take into account that a toddler might not like new baby milk! However up to stopping Teaghan wasnt showing any signs that she wasnt liking the taste. She was just feeding less (falling asleep on me actually) but you might find that she might decide she doesnt want it any more.
I think the best advice you'll get is from breastfeeding support groups who might be able to introduce you to mums who tandem feed.
Whatever you decide to do it will be right for you. Dont let nayone else put you off. As my midwife told me, its only in developed countries where mums dont tandem feed and it is all frowned on.... So who's wrong?! You will find your own way that works for you. And having breastfed 2 babies i found they were both completely different in how and when they fed anyway.
Good luck x

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood