The feeding thread (breast, bottle, and weaning)

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: The feeding thread (breast, bottle, and weaning)

Postby kelly230977 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:17 am

I was wondering the same, Olivia has 6oz in a morning and 6-8 at night but refuses it from a cup. My thought is to let her have the milk if she wants it and just drop it when she doesn't x
Our natural miracle DD Olivia Beth born 14/02/2010 after 3yr ttc. 2mc, 9 cycles clomid, OD and IVF

2nd natural miracle due 7th Nov 2012Image
kelly230977

Postby sammykins » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:49 am

My DD was a milk monster too, if she could have drunk it all day, she would have! She was between 12 & 18 months when we decided to stop the afternoon bottle, then a little later we dropped the mid-morning bottle. At this stage, she was eating 3 meals a day + snacks and milk on top, but her eating wasn't great. It improved massively when we dropped the bottles.
However, like Kelly, my DD would not drink her morning and evening milk from anything other than her bottle (even though she drinks milk from a cup/carton at nursery!).
When she was just over 2, we decided to go cold turkey and only offered her a beaker of milk, and we got rid of the bottles. She wasn't very pleased for the first few days, but in less than a week she'd accepted it and was drinking her evening milk in a cup. However, she completely dropped her morning milk and very rarely ask for a cup now. But, she does have 2 breakfasts usually, so the milk is not lost!

sammykins

Postby SilverLining » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi ladies. I need a bit if advice. How do you know enough is enough with trying to bf and give in to replace with formula?
I am having a real tough time lately, I am running on empty and becoming quite annoyed with dh and older dd. I am currently an emotional wreck wanting to cry at everything, I suppose this is down to exhaustion. Luna is nearly 2 weeks and it seems her feeds are getting worse. At first Luna would cluster feed then want to suckle constantly then she would suckle and fall to sleep until I went to put her into her cot or pram then wake up screaming and then repeat until 2-3am! The only time she would stay sleeping would be about 5am-ish until 9am then 10am until 1pm and then repeat each day. Since Friday it has become worse. She won't go down for 2-3, it is now 4-5am and then awake at 9 until 10 then will only sleep in my arms for the rest of the day until 2am-ish!. I have to be awake for 7am to get older dd ready for nursery.
She has been weighed twice since birth and so far has lost a total of 4ozs. She has another weigh in on Tuesday. I have been liasing with my bf counsellor and she has said that I am feeding her well, all the signs are there to say she is getting enough of my milk ie plenty of wet and poopy nappies each day but since she has her last weigh in my bf lady has suggested we try formula. I really did not want to go on to formula yet, I was hoping I could bf until at least 6 months.

Does anyone know if it would be wise to express and feed from bottles instead of formula? That way at least dh can do a late feed and I can get some much needed sleep. Or should I admit defeat and go on to formula?

For a baby that gave me a wonderful labour and delivery, she sure is making up for being a madam now!
I am at my wits end!!

Many thanks
Karina
SilverLining

Postby hannahboo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Just a really quick post, haven't read all the recent posts sorry but just read your post Karina and needed to reply.

Firstly you are doing a fantastic job BF so far. If I remember Darcy was exactly the same and was so a good 6-8 weeks. If she is gaining weight and is having wet and dirty nappies then she is obviously getting enough milk so she doesnt 'need' formula. It is totally up to you if you feel you want to move onto formula, having never needing to make the decision as Darcy was BF exclusively and we continued until 14 months. Luna is still so young and will it will take a few weeks for things to settle. I cant remember if you BF Shiloh or not? It must be so much harder when you have to get Shiloh up and ready for school etc, but at the same time there is no guarantee that even if you did move to formula that Luna would become more settled and sleep better. I have friends with formula fed babies who have slept just as bad, and worse than BF babies so I honestly dont think that is a valid reason (or at least for me) to make the switch. Have you tried a sling? So many people I know have recommended a stretchy wrap like a Moby or caboo close carrier for the early days as they snuggle baby right into your chest so you have your hands free to do other things, also you can easily BF babies in them too. I have one here ready to use with bump and would have offered to post it to you to try but as you know we will be needing it ourself soon. You can usually pick them up for around £20-25 second hand though so may be worth a look? Or have you tried a dummy? Darcy never took one so no personal experience but could be worth a try if you haven't already as she may well be sucking for comfort.

I hope that you are able to come to a decision with feeding that you are happy with, and I promise you no matter what you chose it will get better. Hugs xx
hannahboo

Postby Yvette75 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Karina ((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))

I could have written your post a week ago, I was at my wits end. However, Jessica lost a lot more weight than Luna - a 1lb and half by day 8, being 4oz below birthweight at a week and a half old is not in my honest opinion anything to worry about.

The best advice I can give is take 1 day at a time. If you want to express and offer the occasional bottle or offer formula once per day or so to give you a few hours sleep then do it. If you decide to stop BF'ing all together either now or in a few days/weeks/months then don't beat yourself up over it. The question I asked myself last Monday when I introduced formula for Jessica was "Will I regret this decision next week, next month, next year".

Yvette
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby SilverLining » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:46 am

Huge thanks to Hannah and Yvette!! It's so nice to have you lovely ladies to dish out helpful advice. I must admit I was crying when I read your helpful replies!

Last night was even worse!! Luna guzzled on both until it seemed they were both empty but she kept on going. Finally at about 4ish she conked out which left me wide awake as I was worrying I wouldn't get up in time for Shiloh and school. I have a killer headache now due to no sleep. In the end to stop me from worrying dozing off sitting up feeding her and images of my arm relaxing and she rolls and falls to the ground, I laid on my side on the bed and fed her that way. She seemed more comfy like this and guzzled more by the sounds of it. Even though everywhere suggests not to let you baby in bed, I laid on top of the quilt with pillows under the duvet to the side of Luna in case she rolled (yes, already she rolls onto her side!!) I was squished right up to James so Luna had the whole of a super king bed apart from a foot and half for me and him. I will try this position tonight with her and once she comes off the breast, I will transfer her to her crib.
I have told James that he will be staying awake with me tonight until Luna finally settles as I'm sure he doesn't believe I am awake all night.

I have decided that if Luna still has not gained weight by tomorrow then I will buy a pump and bottles and express some milk so James can at least do one or two feeds throughout the night so I can sleep.

I will look into the slings and try one of these. There is only so much I can do throughout day holding her. Is there any ones better than the others?
I must admit too that I really don't like the idea of these but then again I really don't like the idea of holding her and falling to sleep with her then falling to the ground.

If tomorrow doesn't show any improvement then I will try the expressing and if still no improvement then I may have to do half and half. I bf Shiloh exclusively until 5months then continued until 8 months but even though I had these probs, at least I could sleep when she did.

Thanks again girls, I felt really shite yesterday, it doesn't help when James is working 7am until 8pm 7 days per week!!and it certainly did not help in laws asking am I producing enough milk and is Luna getting enough grrrrr!!!

Madam is sleeping now and will do until 1ish so I better crack on with my work before we get Shiloh from nursery.
Thanks again x
SilverLining

Postby SilverLining » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Just an update for this page....

In five days Luna has put on 6ozs!!!

I will now continue to bf exclusively as all is going well....except for sleepless nights and constant feeding but that's all part of bf'ing!!
SilverLining

Postby Mrs Wilko » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Evening ladies,

I have a question as it's really puzzling me. I know I'm not quite there yet, but I thought I'd ask before I *need* to know!

Anyway, was wondering if you bf (which I hope to do this time!) how do you know when your breasts are empty and the baby is just sucking for comfort? I did manage bf'ing for a few days before the infection kicked in last time, but I just did it so kind of blindly, that I thought I'd try to be a bit more knowledgeable this time around!

I fully expect baby to be constantly attached to me regardless for a bit anyway and if I manage it this time, I'll pick things up as I hopefully get better as time goes on.

Are there any tips you can pass on to allow bf'ing to be as successful as it can be for me?

Sorry for being so dumb about it all, you would think having one already would mean I'd have some sort of idea, but due to circumstance I had to stop with Eleanor and it's one of the things that really affected me with her so I want to try and do everything in my power to try and succeed this time.

Sorry for waffling!!

K xx
Natural surprises BFP 07/2007 and 01/2012

PCOS diet 10/2010 to 11/2011 lost 7st in total BMI down from 48 to 28
Back again to loose the weight after a break (and a baby!) 01/2013

*Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Mrs Wilko
Verity Moderator

Postby Kasha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:47 pm

In my (limited!) Experience, I have found that you soon pick up the signs that they are not feeding. It was easier with Teaghan, though conversely I was happier to let her use me for comfort than I was with Caoimhe.
If you listen carefully you can hear them swallowing the milk. I also find that the way she sucks changes really subtlety.

As for when your boobs are empty, you''ll know! They get a bit floppier and they do feel empties. Tho I must add mine weren't completely emptied very often!

My top tips really include making sure you are ready to feed, you are comfy, have a drink and a snack handy, your phone, the remote and anything else you might need all within easy reach. (The remote is very important for when Eleanor gets a bit bored of what she's doing and wants the telly, and the phone is a necessity for texting Himself when you need something if he is upstairs
/downstairs etc ..oh and catching up with facebook or verity lol)
Make sure you have drinks scattered around the house for a quick refuel wherever you are. I found using sports bottles was better. Less accidental spillage and also found that Caoimhe was happy to have a drink from it when she wanted a drink immediately when I was mid feed! I always made sure I had a drink at the side of the bed too.
Give yourself plenty of time in the early days. I was lucky really as Tim planned lots of activities and days out for Caoimhe which meant I just had to concentrate on Teaghan for the first couple of weeks, I could let her feed for as long as she wanted and let her get used to it too as well as me to her, and she was a lot different than Caoimhe too.
We had lots of snuggling time, and I put her down lot less than Caoimhe and I was also a lot more selfish with her and didn't share her with other people quite as much.
I think you have to take it day by day, every day you do is a bonus for both of you. It is really hard at first. I wish I'd known quite how hard the first time, but was surprised that it was just as painful and difficult the second time. Tho at least I knew that I only had to get to 6 wks and then I knew it would be so much easier by then.
My best advice really would be to seek out a breastfeeding counsellor/group and visit before youn've the baby if possible! (Probably a bit late now lol) I had a breastfeeding counsellor who kept contacting me when I had Teaghan to make sure I was managing and had no problems. I was referred on the postnatal ward. I really wish I had had that contact with Caoimhe! Tho I did stumble through!
You knowhow where I am as well if you need me and I'm sure other ladies will say the same. Breastfeeding doesn't work out for everyone and I think k you have to know when to keep trying or when to stop. But I have to say it's one of the best things I've ever done. I am very proud of myself for doing it past 12 mths with both my girls.

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby Chicken » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:37 am

I posted in another thread about the issues I've been having an continue to have with breast feeding. I dread her crying for a feed as I know it will hurt and the only way I can do it is with mountains of cushions.

I still want to breastfeed but have to admit I am close to breaking point now.

One thing I can't see past is how do you ever leave the house? There is no way I could discreetly breast feed her in public. I need a mountain of pillows to even attempt it.

I don't have a clue where to start with expressing, how much I would get or how to store it and how much to feed her. I couldn't even attempt to get her onto my breast anywhere other than my own bedroom ... I just feel I'll be house bound for 6 months if I want to EBF her.

I'm fed up with crying over it too, I just want to enjoy my little girl but I feel that feeding is clouding everything :cry:
Chicken

Postby becca » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:44 pm

Can anyone advise with weaning? Finlay is 5 months old today and although I wanted to wait til 6 months to wean I'm wondering about whether to start sooner. He used to sleep through but now he wakes twice a night. I know this isn't a reason to wean but he wakes up absolutely starving and polishes of 7oz each time. During the day this last week or so he seems to have lost interest in his milk and may only take 4 oz every 4 hours. I'm worried he isn't getting enough and eondering whether weaning will help. It doesn't help that oh is dead set against weaning before 6 months and really doesn't want me to do it at all. Does anyone have any advice? The health visitor clinic isn't until Monday now.

Thanks
becca

Postby Yvette75 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:51 pm

Personally i'd leave it until 6 months. Weaning is a faff and the older they are the better imho. There are very few calories in first foods e.g. carrot so contrary to popular belief it isn't going to fill him up. My 2 were weaned at 6 months and although they were sleeping through they were only taking 25oz or so of milk per day before weaning. He could be going off his milk due to teething maybe? How is his weight gain? If he is gaining weight then he will be getting everything he needs from his milk. We did BLW with Emily and it was so much better than mush which we did with Christopher.
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby Kasha » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:35 am

I weaned both mine before 6mths. Never found it to be half as much of a faff or stress as people say tbh, nice experience both times (might just be lucky)
I tried to wait til 6 mths but not possible. Caoimhe was just a hungry baby (and weaning did help even tho i know she wasnt getting as much nutrition as I was giving her) and Teaghan was just ready for it, putting things in her mouth, trying to get your food, watching at mealtimes all the things they 'say' show she was ready (tbh it was my gut instinct more than anything)
Both babies were doing the frequently waking in the middle of the night but i didnt take that as a sign so much with Teaghan as I did with Caoimhe, who was definitely feedingmuch more day and night (hrly in the day sometimes) and i did have my hv support too.
With Teaghan i didnt consult anyone (too much conflicting advice) In fact when I talked to my hv about weaning in the early days, just for an idea what the current thinking was, I was told they had gone away from BLW and were now advising bottle fed babies particularly to be weaned BY 6mths (for BF babies the advice was the same.) she did also tell me that we are the ONLY developed country to give the advice to leave weaning til 6mths so read into that what you will.
All this doesnt help the first time mum! No-one agrees on anything. And even so babies arent quite able to read the books about what they should be doing and when!
The longer you leave it, like Yvette says, the easier it is (it was definitely easier second time round, tho was that because i had done it before?? I dont know!) and the quicker you can get them onto finger foods. I did a mixture of purees/mashes and BLW with both of mine (and will do again probably) tho more BLW with Teaghan.
So if you can leave itntil after the weekend and speak to your hv better i think but ultimately he is your baby, you know him best and i think 5 mths is a fair enough age but that is my experience with my babies and i do know people whose babies were not ready til 6. I was told after 20wks old by my hv.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Ps on the OH front, you need to talk to him and say what your concerns are and why you think hes ready. In my experience men are either great at telling you what to do (without doing it themselves....mmmm...) or let you make all the decisions (in my case! Which suits me tbh!)

BFP - 7/10/10, sadly miscarried at 6 weeks 15/10/10

BFP - 18/11/10

BFP 07/12

Raindrops 'n Roses
Kasha

Postby becca » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:49 am

Thanks yvette and kasha.

Finlay already has 2 teeth so I don't think it will be teething, I'm hoping the top two aren't making an appearance yet! I know that first foods aren't going to fill him so I am prepared for more night time waking but I'm thinking if he likes food we will work up to filling him more in the day so in a few months he won't keep waking up so distressed in the middle of the night.

I might go and see the health visitor Monday but I don't think she is all that helpful, I asked her about hungry baby milk last time and she said not to bother just to feed him more.

Weight wise he is doing well, when he was last weighed 2 weeks ago he had been following the 75th percentile line almost perfectly. He is now over 17lb, great head control and he is just about sitting unaided.

Kasha he has been trying to steal my food for the last month. It is getting harder to keep him away because if I eat out he will cry and cry until I sit him on my knee and then he makes attempts to grab my food. So far he hasn't succeeded but last week he was pretty close when he managed to grab a bit of my sandwich, I had to prise his hand open to get it out!

I really hate all this conflicting information. I myself feel he is ready but I definately don't want to rush things.
becca

Postby SilverLining » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:06 pm

Can I just ask those who have expressed....

- Can I keep adding to the same bottle once I have expressed more after a few hours?
So far I managed 3ozs, it is currently in the fridge. So when I pump more, can it go straight into that same bottle or do I use a new bottle? Can I keep adding to it? What's the best way to warm it when it's ready to use?

I've looked on line but no one gives a straight forward yes or no!!

Many thanks
SilverLining

PreviousNext

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood