The feeding thread (breast, bottle, and weaning)

A place for women with PCOS to talk about Motherhood & Pregnancy

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

The feeding thread (breast, bottle, and weaning)

Postby purplestar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:51 pm

We thought we'd create a general thread for people to chat about feeding. A lot of the same questions/ concerns come up a lot, and this way all the advice can be found easily in one place. :)
Diagnosed '93, Met since March '00 (2000mg/day), Spironolatone & Yasmin (when not ttc)

ImageImage

Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
purplestar
Verity Moderator

Postby louby1977 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:47 am

I think this is a great idea, no questions at the moment but I have decided to try BF when LO is born in April so I'm sure I'll be back then for lots of advice and reassurance!
Lisa xx
BFP on 15th August 2008- 10th round of Clomid!!!
Shock Natural BFP on 19th July 2010 - MMC confirmed on 17th August at 8 weeks.
louby1977

Hungry baby formula

Postby linziloo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:36 pm

Hiya, I was just wondering if anyone has used hungry baby formula and how they got on. My little one is just over 4 weeks old and is a wee gannet. From about 3 weeks old he has been drinking 150ml (5oz) and he sometimes screams for more. He is feeding every 4 hours but even that is a struggle and I have to top him up with water. The health visitor says he is putting on too much weight and I was wondering if the hungry baby formula would help. He is also quite colicy and I dont want to make him worse.

Thanx Lindsay x
ImageImage
ImageImage
linziloo

Postby Yvette75 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:11 pm

I have not heard good things about hungry baby milk and personally I would avoid it if I could and just give him more normal formula, the reason being is that it sits longer in their tummies and because it is bulkier stretches their little tummies and then they want even more milk. 5oz of milk isn't that much, particularly if you are feeding every 4 hours and if your LO wants 6oz I would give them 6oz.
BFP clomid cycle 5 - 100mg

BFP clomid cycle 7 - 150mg

BFP clomid cycle 1 - 150mg

Yvette75

Postby Steph Pet! » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:52 am

MY HV's always told me the hungrier baby milks were nothing but a marketing ploy from the milk companies and that they did nothing that the normal stuff didn't do. If you work on the basis that he should be having 2.5oz for ever lb of his body weight and then divide that between his bottles. It might work to give a couple of larger bottles (morning and bedtime) and then int he night a couple of smaller ones...that's what we did with Archie and that seemed to work. I agree with Yvettte though 5oz isn't a lot of milk...does he drain these bottles? HV also told me if LO drains their bottle it is a sign they want a bigger feed....

For the colic are you giving him infacol???

Steph Pet!
Local Group Leader

Postby Dottywot » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:16 pm

We tried hungry milk with Catriona and it made her colic so much worse! and it didnt lengthen the time she went between feeds so we just increased the size of her feeds, and we changed milk from SMA gold to Aptimel easy digest and that eased the colic greatly.
Diagnosed - 2002
TTC for 5 years - BFP :) March 2008
Metformin - 23 October 2010
Dottywot
Local Group Leader

Postby thebuzz » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:22 pm

Stuff what the HV says, they go by the book and not by the child. Louie was on 8oz bottles from the day he was born, he was just such a hungry boy so 5oz isnt that much, especially with 4 hours between. If he wont take more milk but still seems hungry then I would try feeding every 3 hours so he doesnt get to that starving stage and I would also offer more milk. Give it a go, if he drinks it then great, if he doesnt, you can cross that one off the list and try something else.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
[url=http://daisypath.com]
thebuzz

Postby Lou79 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:56 am

When we were trying to get Polly to start sleeping through the night we started using hungry baby milk just for her last feed, and it seemed to help her go through for that little bit longer. We were using the Aptimil one and she didn't have any adverse effects from it.

I agree with maybe going back to feeding every 3 hours though, and sod what the HV says - if he's hungry then he's hungry. Have you tried infacol for the colic?

Lou79

Postby linziloo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:38 pm

hiya thanks for you replys, I have started feeding him every 3 hours now and he seems happier with that. He also slept right through the night :D. I've also started using colief for his colic as the infacol and colosynth granules only gave him relief for a wee while. And that has helped as well.
ImageImage
ImageImage
linziloo

Postby Sian » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:24 pm

sleeping through the night at a month you lucky thing!!!
Sian

Postby loachy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:51 pm

you are lucky both of mine still dont go through the night
IVF BFP Aaron m/c 22wks 9/2/07
IVF BFP Katie & Joshua 29+4 3lb 1 13/9/08
http://aaron-hodnett.gonetoosoon.org
[url=http://counters.families.com]ImageImage
loachy
Verity Moderator

Postby linziloo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:53 pm

Oh I know were really lucky with his night sleeps :D . He has always ever got up once during the night since he was a week old. But I do have a baby that only ever naps for 10 min at a time during the day and is a crabbit little so n so by 6pm. So you can only imagine what state my house is in :shock:
ImageImage
ImageImage
linziloo

Postby Dottywot » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:40 pm

If you find the colief makes a huge difference then it maybe worth changing to an easy digest formula, thats what we did and it made such a difference. The colief made Catrionas poo's really runny and like mini explosions while the new formula has made then normal :)

xx
Diagnosed - 2002
TTC for 5 years - BFP :) March 2008
Metformin - 23 October 2010
Dottywot
Local Group Leader

Postby *~*PINKPIXIE*~* » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:36 pm

Quick question - can formula fed babies be cluster fed? Harry gets really fussy from evening until about 1am every night and seems to be crying for more food.

We feed him every 3-4 hours generally, usually about 120ml per feed. I'm wondering if we give him more (say every 2 hours) during this fussy time when he's screaming for more food and let him go a bit longer at night between feeds if this might help. The health visitor suggested it to me this afternoon, but I thought this approach was only for breast fed babies...

Any experiences? We're desperate to cut out the screaming period!

Claire x
Miracle #1 - OD, 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, Cyclogest

Miracle #2 - 150mg Clomid, 1500mg Met, HCG injection, Cyclogest, Junior aspirin

Natural, surprise pregnancy Dec 2015, MMC Jan 2016
*~*PINKPIXIE*~*

Postby thebuzz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:16 pm

Yes you can try it, just watch he is actually hungry and doesnt have colic. If he sicks up the food or refuses it then you know he isnt hungry and its something else but if he eats every 2 hours and it solves the problem then excellent!

I would say it sounds like colic, the crying during evening time, but as your HV has seen him im assuming she would have noticed if it was so give the feed a go.
[url=http://daisypath.com]
thebuzz

Next

Return to Pregnancy & Motherhood