Thinking about TTC, want to be prepared!

Share your frustrations, share your joys

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Thinking about TTC, want to be prepared!

Postby ashley_rolando » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi all, this is my first post on here. I have been reading for ages and you all seem super supportive so hoping someone will be able to help. I was diagnosed with PCOS when i was 16. I was also told I have a bifurcated uterus (heart shaped), however i know that's a separate issue. Almost ten years later and I am now married and my husband and I have been talking a lot about starting TTC towards the end of this year.

I have been on the pill (yasmin) since my diagnosis and as such have very few symptoms but it also means I have no idea what my cycle is like when not on the pill.

What I am wondering is how long before I start TTC should i stop taking the pill? Ive heard it both ways, some say that if i come off it i should start straight away as you never know and others say that i should wait to see how my cycle is first. I want to hit the ground running as much as i can because i know it can take a long time to conceive (especially if you factor in my silly uterus too!). I am also worried because no gp i have ever seen (and it's a different one every time i go!) has ever known what pcos is. Some of them even googled it while i sat there!! Suffice to say i have zero confidence in their ability to get me the help i need.

Sorry for the long post, i just have no idea where or how to start.

xx
ashley_rolando

Re: Thinking about TTC, want to be prepared!

Postby Hols969 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:16 pm

Take the pill right up till you want to TTC as you have an increased chance of conceiving over the next 6 months as your body will be less PCOS, Don't focus too much on a period as they don't really mean too much. Once TTC I would look at fertilityfriends website and start taking your temperature to see if you are ovulating. I would also get your partner on the Boots Vit C and zinc tablets as a precaution (my hubbies sperm improved by over a 100% in a year after taking these and as 1/3 of fertility issues are now men, it wouldn't hurt to put him on them now !!) It is extremely rare not to conceive just due to pcos so try not to worry too much. If nothing happens after 6 months ask to be referred to fertility. Also look at the NICE guidelines on pcos as it advises what you should expect from the NHS so know your facts when you go so they can't fob you off.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby ashley_rolando » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:22 pm

Hols969 wrote:Take the pill right up till you want to TTC as you have an increased chance of conceiving over the next 6 months as your body will be less PCOS, Don't focus too much on a period as they don't really mean too much. Once TTC I would look at fertilityfriends website and start taking your temperature to see if you are ovulating. I would also get your partner on the Boots Vit C and zinc tablets as a precaution (my hubbies sperm improved by over a 100% in a year after taking these and as 1/3 of fertility issues are now men, it wouldn't hurt to put him on them now !!) It is extremely rare not to conceive just due to pcos so try not to worry too much. If nothing happens after 6 months ask to be referred to fertility. Also look at the NICE guidelines on pcos as it advises what you should expect from the NHS so know your facts when you go so they can't fob you off.

Thank you so much for your reply. :) That actually makes a lot of sense. I have heard that periods dont actually mean ovulation and vice versa. I guess it's just hard to disassociate one from the other in my mind but i will try not to overthink things (not something that comes easily for me!). Do you know if it would be worth having my pcos diagnosis re-confirmed if that makes sense? I was diagnosed so long ago, also it was done in italy as thats where i was living at the time. Just want to avoid any unnecessary delays when the time comes.
ashley_rolando

Postby Hols969 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:52 pm

No it is hereditary and once you have it there is no cure so I wouldn't muddy the water by asking for it to be rechecked (unless your details haven't been forwarded to your GP here and you will need to start again in the UK??)
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby ashley_rolando » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:10 pm

that's the thing, they don't forward records so when i moved here in 2009 i basically started with a clean slate. I have mentioned many many times that I have it so I know it's mentioned on my file but they wont have any tests relating to it (like the ultrasound i had in italy that originally diagnosed it and subsequent check ups), they just have my word for it and that's it. I'm just concerned that because it's only on my file because I've mentioned it that they will insist on doing tests for it here before they let me have any potential fertility treatment and it will just waste time. i'm probably overthinking i know. i just have no faith in this system and can just picture endless red tape piling up.
ashley_rolando

Postby Hols969 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:40 am

I would ask if you need to be retested here as you were diagnosed in Italy and see what they say, rather than asking to be retested
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Trying to Conceive