Refused treatment

Share your frustrations, share your joys

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Refused treatment

Postby DaniJones » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:47 am

Hello! Myself and my husband are trying to conceive but finding it really difficult. Just wanted to ask if you have ever heard of anyone being refused treatment for PCOS? I've been referred to St Mary's in Manchester and have lost 3 stone since August which has been bloody hard work haha. I went on the 5th Jan to have a scan and some blood tests and my right ovary looked "normal" and my left still had follicles on it but not as severe as it could've done. My periods have been a bit more regular too...which is all great news. But my bmi is 36 and the nurse said that I need to get it down to 30 (loose another two stone) or I could be refused treatment. I've got my first appointment with a dr this weekend but I'm so worried he's just gunna sit me down and say go away and come back when you've lost more weight! Has anyone had any similar experiences or am I just over thinking? It's so frustrating that I've lost so much weight and could still be refused treatment. Thank you!
DaniJones

Re: Refused treatment

Postby Hols969 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:44 am

Yes generally bmi needs to be 30 or below, it is not uncommon to be refused if it is above it via the NHS, you can get treatment privately when it is above 30.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby DaniJones » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:55 am

Is that even for starting a course or metformin or similar?
DaniJones

Postby Hols969 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:48 am

It does hugely depend on your NHS area - some are willing to give clomid some are not - metformin is not always available, as it is not licenced as a pcos drug in the UK it does vary, again, on your NHS area - you should only be given metformin if you are insulin resistant as well. It is not a wonder drug, often the Verity experts say that the only reason it helps with pregnancy is because of the awful side effects (sh*ts!) which cause you to lose weight rather than it actually helping from a medical point of view, so it is the weight loss that helps you conceive rather than the drug.

Has your partner been tested as well as 1/3 of fertility issues are men so even if they turn you down until you lose further weight (well done on your weight loss btw) ask for your partner to be tested as it would be frustrating to get to bmi of 30 and then be told that your partner has issues (my hubbies improved by over 100% in a year by eating anything with zinc in it and the Boots Vit C and zinc tablets so get him on those as a precaution anyway).
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby DaniJones » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:36 am

That's fantastic thank you! My partner has been tested and his results came back fine. Ill get him on the vitamins anyway though. Hopefully we can get sorted soon! xx
DaniJones

Postby Hols969 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:53 am

Good at least it is a start - are you taking your temperature at all to see if you are ovulating as well - just because you are overweight it doesnt mean you cant conceive.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Return to Trying to Conceive