New to this - both TTC AND forums! - (anyone from Suffolk?)

Share your frustrations, share your joys

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

New to this - both TTC AND forums! - (anyone from Suffolk?)

Postby SuffolkLady » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Hello,

This is my first post on a forum so please bear with me!

Ive known I had PCOS since I was 17 (found by ultrasound for something else), at the time I didn't have any major symptoms of PCOS I was told not to worry and come back when I was TTC. Fast forward 12 years and I am now married and aged 29 and I have been TTC for a year with no success. My periods range from 33-69 days - since coming off the pill a year ago they seem to be getting longer and longer. I don't suffer terribly from any other symptoms and my BMI is 19.5 (i wonder if insulin resistance could still be an issue for me and if so whether i should adjust my diet?)

I had scans/blood tests 9 months ago which confirmed PCOS but am having these repeated with the hope of making my application with the GP to be put on Clomid.
One of my blood tests is the CD21 test - how Im meant to time that correctly with irregular periods I do not know!

Im looking to connect with people who are going through similar and perhaps at a similar stage. It's quite overwhelming to start all this! Also if anyone is in Suffolk who can share some tips/advice it would be much appreciated.

Thank you
SuffolkLady

Re: New to this - both TTC AND forums! - (anyone from Suffol

Postby Hols969 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:53 am

I would start taking your temperature to see if you are ovulating as it is the most accurate way for pcos ladies (look at fertilityfriends website). You don't need a period to ovulate so they don't mean a huge amount (My periods were relatively regular but I rarely ovulated).

Look on Facebook for Verity groups in your area as they mainly tend to connect via a private facebook group for your area (so your posts wont be seen by your friends)
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby SuffolkLady » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Yes I might buy a basal thermometer and start temping. I knew that a regular cycle didn't necessarily mean you ovulate but I didn't know you could ovulate without having a period afterwards! Eek. So much to learn. Thank you so much for the tips
SuffolkLady

Postby Hols969 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:45 am

aah you learn so much on your TTC journey :-)
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby dosymare » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:37 am

Hello.

I'm new to forums too. I'm from Essex and I your story mirrors mine. I was 16 (1month before my 17 birthday) when I was diagnoses although strangely my only real symptom was my irregular cycle but my doctor called it and got test done to confirm it. I'm now 29 and got married december just gone. This is where I slightly differ to you. I was trying for 1 year when the doctor referee me to a gynecologist (my sister also a pcos sufferer was referred after 6months because if you're over 35 or have a more diagnoses condition they will refer you after 6months...seems to me that's the sort of thing they should advertise. Sorry ranting) anyway.. After xoming off the pill I had my first 3 bleeds then nothing. So by the time I went to see the Dr and needed a cd21 blood test it had been a year since my last cycle. Anyway my husband pointed this out and so they prescribed me a course of medroxyprogesterone. From what I can understand they will only do this if you have not had a bleed in 35days or more. This then gave me the period I needed to work out day 21 for my blood tests.

That was 3months ago. Since then ive had a hycosi to check my tubes. An internal ultrasound to check my womb. And a follow up consultation that confirmed the only issue being my pcos and so I am just coming up to the last cycle of my Clomid.

I'm nervous. At the moment (until I have my blood tests this Friday and next) I won't even know if my dosage was correct and so if ive even ovulated let alone conceived.

Knowing for the past 13 years I thought had prepared me for this battle in ttc. But instead I think its made me so apprehensive. I'm so scared that it won't work I never tried when I was younger - dont get me wrong I'm glad I didnt as I'm now with an amazing man but at the time I thought I was happy and settled but I was so scared I would fail I never even tried.

Anyway enough of my sob story. I hope that's of some help to you and good luck x
dosymare

Postby Hols969 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:07 am

It is pretty rare not to conceive just because of PCOS so try not to worry too much, their is so much help out there - the one good think about pcos is our egg quality remains better for longer so their was no need to for you to try to conceive earlier as it will not make that much difference due to our egg quality remaining better (I conceived Noah when I was 36). Make sure your partner has been tested too.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby dosymare » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:44 pm

My DH has been tested twice. First time had an abnormal result so checked and second came back perfect. I'm a little ashamed to say I was glad when I thought he had problems too. He knows this and I know its selfish of me but it made me blame myself less. Its hard I know. And I'm sure we will have a baby one way or another (even if we eventually adopt) but it was nice as I took the presaure off myself if only for a short time.

I did not realise though the eggs maintain a healthy state although now you say it that does make sense and is very good news. X
dosymare

Postby Hols969 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:25 pm

I know my hubbie had dodgy sperm and it did take the pressure off me so I do know how you feel. You will get their in the end, takes the patience of a saint sometimes and it can be quite depressing at times but you will get their so cling on to that xx
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby SuffolkLady » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. It's really interesting to hear other people's stories. And that's great that you have started treatment with clomid - have you not been having blood tests/scans to see if the clomid has been working? What will be your next step after this round?

I am still going through my tests at the moment to be referred to a fertility clinic and I am really keen to get a plan on what to do next. I think my DR didn't give me anything to induce a period as I still have them perhaps I'm not sure.

I'm like you, I've known for so long I had it that I kind of blocked it out and just let myself think it'll be fine when the time comes. Even making the decision to try and concieve I put it off for a bit I guess because I didn't want to have to face the tests, the disappointment. But I am glad I've made that step now and plucked up the courage to do it sooner rather than later. It seems as though everyone's symptoms and journeys with pcos and ttc is different and that's the worrying this as there is no way of knowing how it will be for you
SuffolkLady

Postby dosymare » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:40 pm

I know Its the not knowing that's the hardest. If they said tomorrow you will never conceive I think I'd be relieved. Or if they say you will but it will take 2years of treatment of even be fine with that. Its just the fear of the unknown I guess. And having to face each day and each failed ovulation ans pregnancy test.

I have blood tests cd21 and cd28 to check to see if the clomid has worked. They can go up to 200mg (they started me on 50mg) and they can do up to 9 cycles (although studies show after 6 if it hasn't worked it wont) then if after the rounds of Clomid we still havent conceived it will move on to other methods (ovarian drilling or ivf or something I guess)

I'm also on metformin. I will warn you if you are anything like me when I came off the contraceptive pill I got more symptoms (hairyer, moodier, weight gain etc etc) and with it I also had a surge in my sex drive. Then when I got the metformin and clomid it balanced me back out again. Which is great but it has side effects the length of my arm which wasn't fun whilst they were balancing me out.

So far (and I'm a few months into this journey) it has been hard there is no sugar coating it. And everyone's journey is different but I'm sure they all come with there own challenges - but I hold onto the fact the the final outcome of having a baby will be worth it.

The irony is now I'm balanced and with the additional aide effects, we have a 2week possible ovulation window at the moment until cd21 and cd28 blood tests can hopefully narrow it down. We have a total of 13 BMS days. And all the drugs and symptoms and fears etc have put my sex drive down to a big fat 0. Now that's irony.

Also whilst I'm on irony. Clomid side effects "can cause ovarian cysts" .....you have to laugh really
dosymare

Postby SuffolkLady » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:37 am

I could have written that first paragraph myself! That is exactly how I feel! I could wait for a baby if I just KNEW it would happen one day.

Can I ask why you were put on metaformin as well? It seems that some people are put on Clomid only and some both clomid and metaformin.

When I came off the pill I hated it. My spots got worse, my skin was awful, my pmt symptoms got worse. Funnily enough I actually lost a bit of weight. It was horrible as i felt like i didnt know my body anymore. I haven't really thought about symptoms with clomid but I guess with all the hormones there are bound to be loads.

Haha I know either laugh or cry! My libido hasn't changed much but BM has become more of a mission or means to and end goal rather than fun which can't be good.

So did you say you are 3 months into Clomid. What's your current plan? Are you trying to shorten the ovulation window at the moment? How long did it take to get Clomid? I'm hoping I get seen quickly after referral
SuffolkLady

Postby Hols969 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:41 pm

It took me 3 years to conceive Noah and it was bl**dy hard work mentally I have to say (we stopped at one as I just couldnt do it all over again), it is really tough time so try and exercise etc to keep your mood a bit higher too - I have to say after 2 years of having sex every other day I was quite relieved when we moved to IUI (conceived 2nd attempt) as it took away the chore aspect of it.

One thing I would recommend is reflexology, I had it between my 2 IUI sessions and that was the only difference and I conceived (I had relatively regular periods but rarely ovulated), I had it once a week and I am sure it helped me ovulate. Dont have clomid until your tubes have been checked as their is a time limit on clomid so make sure your tubes are clear before having it as it is pointless wasting it if your tubes are blocked. You do learn a hell of a lot of things on your TTC journey that is for sure !!
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby SuffolkLady » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:02 pm

Did Clomid not work for you Hols969? Did you move straight to IUI after that? That's interesting you say about checking tubes I will definitely keep that in mind. I was always put off as it seems as though it's quite a big op? What do you mean by time limit on Clomid?

Thanks for the tip about reflexology I think I will look into that. I really would like to know if I ovulate at all.

That's lovely you have your son, a positive story for once. I always wanted a big family and it's sad to think that may not happen but to have one child would be a blessing and Id be grateful
SuffolkLady

Postby Hols969 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:41 pm

No clomid did nothing for me except give me hot flushes and tearful (and I am not a crier!!) I had my tubes checked via a laparoscopy and they zapped some of the cysts too (they did about 9 tests on me) so not that invasive really as keyhole surgery, I then had to try naturally for 6 months then 6 months clomid (their is a time limit of 9 months on clomid as it can increase your cancer risk I think it was (don't quote me on that but it was something quite serious which is why they don't let you on it for too long) and then because my husbands sperm wasn't the best we then went for IUI - we had 3 attempts offered for IUI and 1 IVF, I conceived 2nd IUI (13% success rate) - you do clomid along with the IUI drugs too.

You can have your tubes checked without having a laparoscopy though where they put dye in your tubes so you are awake. Having your cysts zapped can increase your chances of conceiving as well (6 month window and then the cysts often will start to appear again).

I think we could have tried harder for no 2 but to be honest I would rather have chopped my legs off than try again as it was such a long and depressing road, but Noah has made all that worth it but I don't look back at that period in my life very fondly I have to say !! It is all a means to an end though and you have to try and remind yourself of that.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby SuffolkLady » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:19 pm

Thanks for sharing. I think that's what makes it worse is the not knowing and PCOS seems to vary so much from person to person and then treatment varies from postcode to postcode! For some Clomid seems to work and for others it doesn't seem to work at all and I just have no idea what camp I'll fall into. I guess I just have to remain positive and hope that no matter what route I need to go down just have faith that one will work for me. I really hope that I can fall pregnant before IVF is the last option though. I don't blame you, i bet it is so difficult. I can't imagine ever going back on to contraception now (even though it helped so much with my symptoms) as I suppose there is always chance it might happen naturally even if it is a miracle!
SuffolkLady

Next

Return to Trying to Conceive