I hate my PCOS

Share your frustrations, share your joys

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

I hate my PCOS

Postby Sunqueen » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi, everybody! I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22 years old. I had a sharp pain in my right side. My GP thought it was a kidney problem, but the ultrasound checkup didn’t reveal anything. My next visit was done to my gynecologist and it was the place where I heard about PCOS for the first time. I was very much overweight, so the doctor prescribed me metformin. The treatment course gave an excellent result. I reduced my weight for nearly 25 kg and started to have regular periods. I felt OK, but I wasn’t able to conceive a baby. The doctor offered me ovarian stimulation. It was conducted without any results. Then I tried laparascophy, and again without any results. Finally, I tried IVF, which ended with an ovarian extra stimulation.
To tell the truth, I’m sick and tired of all these things. Nothing works with me. My GYNY explains a zero result with a bad oocytes quality. She recommends IVF with a donor egg. Is there anybody here with the same issues? Please share your PCOS experience cause I’ve really stuck in this situation.
Sunqueen

Re: I hate my PCOS

Postby Elfwoman » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:04 pm

Hi, Sunqueen. PCOS is a real challenge for those who want to become pregnant. The doctors don’t know why ladies suffer from it. Though there are quite a lot of methods of treating PCOS, none of them can be called universal and help everybody. Metformin may work excellent with one ladies, and may be quite ineffective with the others. The same can be said about laparascophy and ovarian stimulation. Sometimes it takes time to find a treating method which will work with you. As for me, I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22. I was always skinny and had some extra hair on my arms and legs. The rest of the things were OK. I visited my gyny and had a thorough checkup when my periods has stopped, and it was big delay. There were no menstruation for nearly 4 months. The doctor prescribed me vitamins and metformin. The periods came the next months. I took metformin for nearly a year, and the next year I got pregnant.
As for your case, I would recommend you to follow your doctor’s advice. If various treatment courses have made bored to death and don’t work, you may always apply for an egg donation procedure and get your baby for sure.
Elfwoman

Postby Sunqueen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:39 pm

Hi, Elfwoman. Thanks for your supportive message. Unfortunately, metformin didn’t work with me. I took it for quite a long time without any results. I understand that egg donation may become a good variant for me, but I’m a little bit frightened of this procedure. I’ve already read some information on this topic. I know that only the egg will be taken from another woman… I will be the one who will carry and give birth of a child… But when I start thinking of it, I feel so frustrated… I don’t know why, but I don’t like this idea.
Sunqueen

Postby friendlybird » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi, Sunqueen and Elfwoman. I’m a newbie on this forum. I’ve got interested in your talk because I have similar problems with my PCOS. Like you Sunqueen, I was very much overweight and hairy. I tried nearly all treating methods, and nothing helped me. I became pregnant thanks to a donor egg.
Sunqueen, you shouldn’t be afraid of asking someone to lend you an egg. It’s quite normal, because egg donation may become your only possible variant to become a mother!
My story started nearly four years ago. Like you, Sunqueen, I had an ovary drilling and even two unsuccessful IVFs. One day my doctor told me that she didn’t know how to help me to become pregnant except an egg donation procedure. I agreed, because I wanted to have a child very much. Fortunately, everything passed successfully. At present I’m a happy mum a one-year-old boy.
So why don’t you want to try egg donation too? Maybe, you are afraid that the baby won’t resemble you????
friendlybird

Postby Sunqueen » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:29 am

No, for me, it’s just like adopting. I know that the baby will grow inside of me, and I will carry and give birth to him or her. I don’t know why, but it’s a little bit painful for me. I know that my husband will be the father of the baby, and IVF with a donor egg is more effective than a simple one. There are loads of things to prove that I should choose egg donation… I think I can’t do it now… Maybe, a little bit later…
Sunqueen

Postby friendlybird » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:27 am

Sunqueen, loads of things depend on you in this question. As for me, I agreed to accept a donor egg nearly at once, because it was my only possibility to become pregnant and give birth to my child. Though some people compare egg donation with adoption, you really get much when carry and give birth to your small angel. I don’t think that you will be disappointed much if the baby will have another hair or eyes’ color. It’s a real trifle, believe me!!!
P.S. Of course, you may continue doing IVFs… But if they don’t work, don’t you want to try something more effective????
friendlybird

Postby Sunqueen » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:39 am

Hi, everybody. Yes, I was also thinking about all these things, and in some way I agree with you, friendlybird. I’m just really sad and frustrated that nothing works with me… and I can’t give a birth by myself… Yesterday I even phoned one of reproductive clinics to make the first appointment. The clients managed was so pleasant… My husband says that I’m too concentrating on my fertility problems. Yesterday he even turned off my laptop when he saw that I’m browsing fertility blogs and forums.
Sunqueen

Postby friendlybird » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:38 pm

Your husband has done the right thing!!! If you think about your PCOS too much, you will exhaust yourself very soon. I had the same feelings, so I understand what you feel very well. One day I just told myself ‘Stop thinking about bad things!’, and it really worked. The more you feel unhappy, the more unhappy you are in a real world. I got up from my bed one morning and told myself ‘I want to have a baby very much, and my PCOS won’t prevent me from doing it. You won’t believe but I got pregnant from the first attempt. When it was time to transfer embryos into my uterus, I tried to imagine how nice it will be to hold my baby in my arms, kiss him, hug him…
If you start thinking positively, you will certainly succeed too.
friendlybird

Postby Sunqueen » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:55 pm

Friendlybird, thanks for your messages. They were really supportive ones!!! But now I need some practical help. I live in the country where egg donation is conducted on altruistic basis. The manager of the clinic, which I contacted the other days told me that I will get only a short description of the woman who will donate her eggs to me. On some fertility forums I found stories where infertile couples went abroad (to Russia, Ukraine, Greece and etc.) to ‘buy’ a donor egg. I don’t understand much difference in it. But why do so many people decide to ‘buy’ but not simply accept donated oocytes?
Sunqueen

Return to Trying to Conceive