First Fertility Appointment -what to expect?

Share your frustrations, share your joys

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

First Fertility Appointment -what to expect?

Postby Sunshine29 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi Ladies

Could anyone give me some insight on what to expect on my first appointment and how long it may take before they actually give me something to help?

Diagnosed with PCOS and Hypothyroidism a few months ago (via ultrasound and absent periods). Stopped pill 8 months ago and still no peiod. GP referred me to fertility clinic as chances for natural conception looking slim. (No periods suggesting I'm not ovulating).

Received an appointment for next month with Gynaecology (not with the fertility clinic??). Just wondering if anyone else had this too and what happened on the first appointment? Will they ever prescribe something straight away? I have already had blood tests with GP for hormones, rubella immunity etc. Do all ladies with PCOS have to have the HSG test before being given anything to induce ovulation? I have read up about the HSG and it sounds horrific! I'm scared of what will happen and hate not knowing how the future will turn out. I would be grateful for any replies and thank you for reading this.
Dec 2014- Hypothyroidism diagnosis
Jun 2015- PCOS Diagnosis
Sep 2015- 1st fertility appointment
Nov 2015- Clomid 50mg - ovulated
Dec 2015 - BFP!
Sunshine29

Re: First Fertility Appointment -what to expect?

Postby emilyjk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:29 pm

I recently had my first appointment, so I can only tell you what happened to me....

My husband had already given a sperm sample which was normal. During the appointment the gynaecologist checked my vagina, basically like a smear test and talked to me in depth about how often I have periods (never in my case) and my diet, drinking etc. She then set me up to have an HSG (haven't had that yet) and said once I have had that I will come back again and treatment can begin, although we didn't discuss what that would be.
emilyjk

Postby Sunshine29 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks for the insight emilyjk :) ..Sounds like you had a productive first appointment then. I am too looking forward to getting the ball rolling, nothing worse than waiting around so trying to keep myself busy in the meantime.. Any idea how long you have to wait before your HSG test? ...Hope it all goes well. I have my first appointment in a couple of weeks time..
Jun 2015- PCOS Diagnosis
Dec 2015 - BFP!
Sunshine29

Postby emilyjk » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:36 pm

Ha, no I will receive a letter in the post at some point about the HSG, so no idea! Soon I hope, want to get it over with!
emilyjk

Postby Joanne81 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:16 pm

Just a quick post ladies...some areas don't do a HSG but others like mine say you could waste time with clomid when that's contributing to not conceiving so best to know. It was fine though, I could have gone into work afterwards but me and OH took day off. It is like a smear but then a bit uncomfortable when they pump in the dye and a bit crampy. I took some paracetamol before just in case. And take your dressing gown as the hospital made me put on an open backed gown then go sit back in reception with a load of people!!
TTC #1 since May '12, diagnosed Aug '12 after a lifetime of irregular cycles and lack of ovulation. Referred for treatment Jan '13. 7 rounds of clomid and DD Molly born at 36 weeks 30/07/2014

TTC #2 Sept 2016...BFP Dec 2016. EDD 31/8/17.

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/5a8ed0
Joanne81

Postby hkittypink » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:51 am

Hi there,

My first appointment they did bloods and got hubby to take away another SA pot since they wanted to repeat some of the tests, I then only had to wait a couple of weeks to get my first script for Clomid and had 21 day bloods which were repeated every week until ovulation indicated.

I did get a HSG, but only after about 6 cycles, mine was OK, a bit uncomfortable when they but the balloon in, but the ladies were lovely there and it was all very discrete. I did have very bad cramps in the afternoon though, worse than period pains, but I drove home and worked from home in the afternoon.

Ignore my journey on my signature since we were offered IVF on that very first appointment but we wanted to try everything else before then. We've now got an appointment for December to talk about it more. We chose this date since wanted to make sure we could still go on a big holiday next summer and not be too pregnant or have a new born.

My clinic has been great though and only personal feelings have delayed things.

Good luck.
Nov 12 - Dec 15 - natural and Clomid 100mg cycles all BFN
Dec15 - IVF conf'd start Jan 2016
Feb-Mar16 - Long protocol ICSI, egg collection scheduled 22nd March
It worked! EDD 09/12/16 with a little boy
hkittypink

Postby Hopingforalittlepea » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:48 am

Hi Sunshine 29,

When is your first appointment? I have been referred to gynae as well instead of fertility clinic but been told they come under the same department. I have my first appointment 7th Sept. We have been trying for nearly 16 months now, I'm no metformin which did kick start my cycles but like you they don't think I am actually ovulating.

Good luck with your appointment!
TTC June 2014
1st Fertility appointment - 7th Sept 2015

Trying (very hard!) to shift some timber! Metformin - Raspberry Leaf Tea - Vitamin B12.
Hopingforalittlepea

Postby Sunshine29 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Thank you for all your great replies ladies :)

emilyjk.. I hope you get your HSG letter soon...do feel free to let me know how you got on with it... all the best..:)

Joanne81..thanks for the heads up about taking a gown ... i hate the idea of being treated like a ''patient'' as I don't feel like I'm ill or anything just need some assistance that's all... hopefully this whole fertility process will be as dignified as possible. Glad to read about the arrival of Molly and that your story ended in success :)

hkittypink ..thank you, that's good that you got prescribed within 2 weeks of your initial appointment..I can live with blood tests...but I know I have to stop being a wimp and be prepared for whatever tests are thrown my way as I guess if I want this badly enough I shouldn't be scared (but it isn't always easy to think like that). All the best with you IVF I have my fingers crossed for you :)

Hopingforalittlepea... thank you and you too :D ...it's so helpful to know that I am sharing this journey with other women. My first appointment is on September 4th so I will be sure to let you all know how I got on. I am taking OH with me too.. and hoping to come away from it feeling like we are going to get somewhere...Kind of looking forward to it as I know it means progress should follow (I'm being positive)... Goodluck to you too..
Jun 2015- PCOS Diagnosis
Dec 2015 - BFP!
Sunshine29

Postby Hopingforalittlepea » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:33 pm

I know exactly what you mean!I have felt so hopeful and positive last few weeks since I was referred!
I have a friend who was under the same consultant that I am down for (she doesnt have PCOS though) and she's warned me it will all happen so fast now! Its so exciting in a strange way! To get proper tests and treatments by someone who knows what they're doing rather than a GP giving out a leaflet! Baby dust to you! And do let me know how you get on! :)
TTC June 2014
1st Fertility appointment - 7th Sept 2015

Trying (very hard!) to shift some timber! Metformin - Raspberry Leaf Tea - Vitamin B12.
Hopingforalittlepea

Postby LazyStork » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:17 am

Good luck to you girls. i was offered clomid on the same day I was diagnosed with pcos but the consultant thought there was no reason it wouldn't work for me (not overweight and just thought I needed to kick start ovulation). He offered me HSG as its good to check your tubes before wasting time with clomid if there's something wrong, but he said there was no reason to believe I'd have any structural problems (no history of ectopics/surgery/STI). I chose not to have the HSG at first but ended up having it after 2 cycles of clomid because they thought they saw something unusual- it was all fine in the end. It's a good idea to have it if you're offered it I think, it was uncomfortable but only when they injected dye, which caused a bad period pain type cramp but that was seconds, so don't worry too much.

I went private for a diagnosis as was sick of waiting on the NHS so things might have moved a bit quicker. Unfortunately OH also has sperm issues so we're now waiting for ICSI. I've been on the clomid/letrozole thread which is really useful if you're starting clomid, so I'd join there if I were you :) xx
Me (30) hubby (32)
diagnosed 'lean' PCO jan 15, husband low sperm count
Feb 15 1st cycle clomid 50mg - ?ov D26-27 but AF D28
April 15 2nd cycle clomid 50mg - no ov
Suspected hydrosalpinx but HSG clear
May 15 - referred for IVF/ISCI (one year to wait)
Continue clomid@100mg for another 4 cycles
June 15 - 3rd cycle clomid (100mg) & trigger & cyclogest - likely no ov
August 15 - 4th cycle clomid (100mg) - no ov
ICSI November 2015 - BFP 7/12/15 over the moon :) EDD 15/8/16
LazyStork

Postby Sunshine29 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks for all your replies ladies. So I had my first fertility referral appointment yesterday at the gynae clinic. They were all so lovely and I have come away feeling hopeful and glad that they took on my case. Lots of tests to do first though...

-They measured heights/weights of husband and I
-Did some swabs on me (basically like a smear test)
-Referred me for a HSG test to check that tubes are clear (eeeeek!)
-Gave Husband a pot for a SA.
-Had a chat/made notes about our history/health/periods/drinking/smoking etc. The doctor had already studied my notes in detail before I was called in so was pretty clued up already..
-She prescribed me 5 days worth of norethisterone tablets to try and force a bleed (to keep the uterine lining healthy) as I have not had a period for around 9 months now. Told to do a blood test on day 21 after period starts to check progesterone levels. She said we are pretty much sure that I'm not ovulating but needs to be sure
-Need another blood test to check thyroid levels (I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism) as I've been told that this needs to be fully regulated first before we go any further so I really hope my thyroid levels turn out ok and don't hold me back from getting treatment for the infertility.
-I have appointment at the gynae clinic again in 9 weeks time to discuss the results and what treatment can be given and she said the next step is likely to be Clomid.

So overall, seems like quite a productive appointment and the ball is finally rolling but still quite a few steps away from getting any treatment for the infertility and not much closer to conceiving yet. Seems like they have to do lots of thorough testing before they will prescribe anything. I think this whole thing will require lots of patience and I hope it will be worthwhile in the end! Fingers crossed for you all too! xxxxx
Jun 2015- PCOS Diagnosis
Dec 2015 - BFP!
Sunshine29

Postby Joanne81 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Sounds like an organised and thorough clinic so that's good! Yes sadly things take time but you'll get there and good things come to those who wait! What dose of thyroxine are you on? When did they diagnose?
TTC #1 since May '12, diagnosed Aug '12 after a lifetime of irregular cycles and lack of ovulation. Referred for treatment Jan '13. 7 rounds of clomid and DD Molly born at 36 weeks 30/07/2014

Joanne81

Postby Sunshine29 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:26 am

Joanne, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism December 2014, started off on 25mcg and currently on 50mcg. Been having blood tests every 3 months and I'm due another one now. I know sometimes it can take years for people to reach the most effective dose. Just hope this doesn't hold me back... Being patient and hanging in there!xxx
Jun 2015- PCOS Diagnosis
Dec 2015 - BFP!
Sunshine29

Postby Joanne81 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:53 pm

It took me from August-December and I am now on 50mcg xxx

Joanne81

Postby Sunshine29 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:43 pm

Thanks Joanne, that's not too long really but it must have felt like forever at the time... just out of curiosity how many months did your thyroid levels have to be stable for them to be happy to commence fertility treatment..?
Jun 2015- PCOS Diagnosis
Dec 2015 - BFP!
Sunshine29

Return to Trying to Conceive