Newly diagnosed and TTC

Share your frustrations, share your joys

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Newly diagnosed and TTC

Postby Vic82 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi all, I had a scan yesterday which confirmed that I have PCOS and I'm just looking for some advice as to next steps and what sort of thing I should be asking my GP when I see her. I'm 32 and stopped taking the pill last November to TTC but still haven't had AF, my skin has gradually got worse since stopping the pill but other than that I don't have any symptoms. I originally went on the pill at 19 as my skin was really bad but it never occurred to me that my skin was due to anything more serious, at that age all i wanted was nice clear skin again and the pill gave me that, I'm kicking myself now that I didn't think that there might be an issue and only stopped the pill once we were ready to TTC.

My OH is being tested this week and I'm going back to my GP in a couple of weeks once his results are in. I was just wondering if anybody had any advice about what I should be asking my GP and also what I can do myself to try to help myself, natural therapies, supplements etc? I'm not overweight and I'm trying to cut out processed food and refined sugar, is there anything else I should be doing? From the research I've done over the last couple of days I'm guessing that if OH's results are ok then the next step would be clomid, but would I need AF before I start taking that? If anybody could offer any advice at all then I'd be very grateful.
Vic82

Re: Newly diagnosed and TTC

Postby Claire31 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:44 am

Hi hun :)

Sorry that you are having problems TTC. You say you haven't had AF since coming off the pill last November, so my first thought would be to induce one. Your GP can prescribe a drug that can do this - Norethisterone or Provera. You take them for 7-10 days and AF should follow a few days later. You could then see if you get an ovulatory cycle by monitoring it, the best way would probably be to take your temperature. Most of us use Fertility Friend (see my chart below) it is free to use. A thermometer that is accurate to 2 places is better, these are sold on Amazon for less than £5 (mine is the Babymad one) there is lots of info on Fertility Friend about how and when to take your temps etc. If you do not ovulate then you are right to say that the next step is usually Clomid.

Good luck with OH results, hopefully this will be quite quick and easy to resolve for you :) Any other Qs feel free to ask, lots of ladies here with lots of experience :) xx
TTC 1 since October 2005
Clomid 50mg / 100mg 2008 - No Ov
IVF #1 Oct/Nov 08 - BFP!!
Gorgeous son born Aug 09
TTC 2 since March 2011
Clomid 100mg x2 summer 2012 - ov BFN
HyCoSy tubes clear
10 cycles of Letrozole (varying doses, some with hCG trigger) all BFNs
June 2014 ICSI - BFN :(
Oct, Nov & Dec 2014 Letz BFN
Jan 2014 Surprise Natural Ov
May, June & July 2015 Letz BFN
Aug 2015 Letz 5mg BFP
Second gorgeous son born May 2016
Ps I'm 41!

My Ovulation Chart
Claire31

Postby Vic82 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:12 pm

Thank you! I'm seeing my GP a week on Monday so I'll speak to her about Provera or similar then. I actually bought a thermometer earlier in the year but gave up charting when I realised I wasn't ovulating so I'll dig that back out.
Nov 14 stopped taking pill
March 15 no AF but blood tests all normal
Aug 15 scan confirmed PCOS OH SA normal
Sep 15 first fertility appointment
Oct 15 prescribed Metformin and Clomid
Dec 15 Clomid 50mg no OV
Feb 16 Clomid 50mg no OV
March 16 Clomid 100mg BFP EDD 6/1/17
Vic82

Postby Vicki140208 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Hiya, I was diagnosed with PCOS in June after a scan too. I have a child who is 7, but I think I've have PCOS since before I had her I just didn't get checked for it back then.
I'm not TTC and my GP has given me clomid which I started last week. I think it varies from GP to GP but yours should offer this after 12 months of officially trying, maybe even sooner than that.
Good luck with it all xx
Vicki140208

Return to Trying to Conceive