when can i be referred to the fertility clinic?

Share your frustrations, share your joys

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

when can i be referred to the fertility clinic?

Postby ruffles » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:04 am

Hi, i was diagnosed with pcos 6 years ago now. I actively started ttc in january of this year and was referred to the gynae clinic at the hospital and was given metformin, however i have been told i need to wait a full year before being referred to the fertility clinic for treatment? However i thought if you had a diagnosed medical condition that is known to affect fertility, then you could be referred sooner than a year? Is this correct? Does anyone else have any experience of this? And once you were referred did you have to go on a waiting list for a further amount of time before receiving an appointment? Thank you x
ruffles

Re: when can i be referred to the fertility clinic?

Postby Hols969 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:27 am

Check the NICE guidelines as they will advise, I do think sometimes it is down to age tho, I was referred to fertility after 6 months but I was 33 at the time, I think it took about 2 months to actually see someone and then I was sent for a laparoscopy to check my tubes were blocked and zap the cysts etc, then given clomid (this has a time limit so good to have your tubes checked first). Also as 1/3 of fertility issues are now men, get your partner on the Boots Vit C and Zinc tablets just as a precaution, as my hubbie had lots of dead and two tailed sperm so wasnt great but it improved by over a 100% in a year (even tho his diet was ok before and didnt smoke or drink).
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: when can i be referred to the fertility clinic?

Postby Lmc84 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi ruffles I have posted a similar question recently. Iv been back to my docs after advice given on here from one of the ladies, I'm 31 and have had pcos for a number of years also, my doc is still insisting 12 months of ttc before referal to fertility team as he says many women with pcos do indeed ovulate but just less regularly than women without and as I am having some periods, none for 3 months now though he says it's only fair to give my body chance to do it natrually before going onto have fertility treatment. Very annoying!!! I'm not a very patient person!
Lmc84

Return to Trying to Conceive