metformin

Share your frustrations, share your joys

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

metformin

Postby hayhay1985 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:57 pm

Hello everyone!

Just wondering if anyone knows much about metformin? I've been ttc for about 9 months and had a chemical pregnancy in that time.
My cycles are regular every 30 days, and I have no symptoms of PCOS other than ultrasound scan showing polycystic ovary apperance and abnormal hormone levels. I think I am ovulating but only just. My weight is normal and I actually don't want to lose any weight as I'm quite small as it is!

Has anyone taken it and managed to fall pregnant? I don't want it to do more harm than good - any advice would be greatly appreciated! :P
hayhay1985

Re: metformin

Postby sicily » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:50 pm

I am also quite petite but I very, very rarely ovulate. Regarding pregnancies, I've been on and off metformin as follows, so you can see there isn't that much of a pattern except that I do think it has helped me to ovulate and I'm now pregnant naturally - however it could also be that since having dd and stopping breastfeeding, I have had about a 60 day cycle and we got lucky.
- clomid, no metformin, BFP, MC 11 weeks
- IVF, metformin, BFP, dd born
- IVF, no metformin, chemical pregnancy
- IVF, metformin, chemical pregnancy
- metformin, natural pregnancy (but currently at risk of MC)

I don't think met has changed my weight much but I have been smaller since having dd - however I think that is from a year of breastfeeding and running around after a toddler. I've already put on a lot of weight this pregnancy.
Id say its worth a go before you try the heavy stuff like clomid or IVF. Apparently soy inositol is a natural alternative which I may try if this pregnancy does not progress.
Met can give you an Upset stomach but I've always found it calms down within a fortnight.
sicily

Postby hayhay1985 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply Sicily, and sorry to hear of your losses.

I've only been taking it a few days and already it has made me feel sick and I've completely lost my appetite. However I feel I should give it a go, at least for one cycle. As long as it's not going to make my cycle off whack or anything I guess it's worth a try.

It's mad this PCOS affects everyone in such different ways, some want to lose weight, some can't afford to lose any weight - it's a wonder people manage to stay positive!
hayhay1985

Postby bax2014 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:28 pm

How much are you taking? I'm not big either, just diagnosed and everything says to loose weight. I definitely don't need that but I have switched white to wholewheat carbs and also cut sugar. I am sad to hear you feel so rough I feel OK on Metformin ATM but don't take much yet!
bax2014

Return to Trying to Conceive