Recurrent Miscarriage / PCOS with regular ovulation

Share your frustrations, share your joys

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Recurrent Miscarriage / PCOS with regular ovulation

Postby LaursH » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi all, has anyone else got the heartbreaking problem of recurrent miscarriage? I have had 3 losses and am currently going through brown spotting at 7 weeks pregnant, it's draining and taking its toll in many ways.

If you have then I am so sorry, we all know what it's like. If so, what options have you been given in terms of treatment and prognosis? I feel there is a lot of advice for non ovulation and treatment, but not for recurrent loss.

My consultant keeps saying to me 'but you can get pregnant' but that is of no comfort at all when it ends in loss each time.

Thanks for reading, sorry if this is on the wrong board x
LaursH

Re: Recurrent Miscarriage / PCOS with regular ovulation

Postby fowkes78 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:19 pm

I'm so sorry about you losses are you on metformin? Now this is only my opinion and I am no doctor but I had 2 live babies I was taking metformin up till 12 weeks they helped me conceive too.

In April this year I had a miscarriage baby died at 8.5weeks with that pregnancy I wasn't taking metformin even to conceive. I started the metformin again after the miscarriage and I'm now 11 weeks and scan today shows so far so good I'm convinced the metformin is the key for me.

Modst docs won't agree but my experience proves it in my head anyway.

I hope the docs can get to the bottom of it for u lossing a baby is so hardxxxxx
fowkes78

Postby fowkes78 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:20 pm

P's I ate a low carb and suger diet
fowkes78

Postby LaursH » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:05 pm

Thanks for replying Fowkes78, yes I am on Metformin, have been since Nov last year, I was wondering if you have had any repeat blood tests since taking met to see if has lowered you hormone levels, or any other kind of tests? I find it difficult to understand how they can make a judgement on the medication if they dont re test. X
LaursH

Postby fowkes78 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:36 pm

No haven't had any blood tests but metformin does keep my weight under control and did help with getting pregnant. I've not asked docs or mentioned the metformin since I fell pregnant as I believe like last time they would say to stop taking it but I know I won't till 12 weeks so don't bring it up. Do u continue to take metformin through your pregnancies. If so and you still miscarried there must be another reason are the docs investigating. I've made it till 11 weeks but so scared I'm taking one day at a timexxxx

How are u feeling has the spotting stopped will they scan u.
fowkes78

Postby LaursH » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi Fowkes

That's great that you made it to 11 weeks so far,fingers crossed for you,

Unfortunately I've been back to the EPAU today for the scan and it's bad news, the pregnancy is non viable so I've got to just wait it out, again to see if I can pass things naturally. Had a horrid few days but this is motivating me more than ever to stick with the right foods, I've stocked the house with PCOS friendly foods today.

It's so soul destroying, this will be my fourth miscarriage, I am however determined to keep going, how will I know if I can achieve a sucessful pregnancy unless I do all I can to help myself, eg the diet and pushing the consultant for more answers.xxx
LaursH

Postby fowkes78 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:19 pm

I'm so sorry this has happened again to you I will never understand nature sometimes it's just not fair.

Sound's like you are doing what I did after mine pcos foods only and remembered to take my metformin. Keep searching for those answers the docs should investigate how surely.

I'm here anytime you want to vent. Do u normally catch quickly, I know how worried i feel after one miscarriage so my heart really does go out to you.

Xxxx
fowkes78

Postby gemstone83 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:44 pm

Laura I am so very sorry for your loss it is truly heartbreaking and soul destroying so I am sending you lots of love.

As you have had three miscarriages (and are going through your fourth) you are entitled to recurrent miscarriage tests. This is for you and your partner they test genetics, thrombophilia, hormones etc. I had these tests done and I discovered that I had Hughes syndrome and with anticoagulants was able to have my little girl on our fifth pregnancy. It was not straight forward as I also needed a cervical stitch due to previous treatment for abnormal cervical cells and I also had bed rest but with the help of our consultant we got through it.

The first thing is to get the basic tests done and see the results and then if these come back all ok (which they often do) see where to go from there.

If you want to ask me any other questions as I also went privately to St Mary's in London which is one of the top recurrent miscarriage clinics in the world and was not as expensive as you might think. £400 for the consultTion and extra tests to get a baby is a bargain in my opinion.

Wishing you all the best

Gemma
TTC since June 2010
August 2011 - Aug 2013 3 first tri miscarriages and a mmc at 12 weeks
Sticky Blood/Hughes Syndrome/APS diagnosed
Lletz November 2012 following abnormal smear
Beautiful baby girl born July 2014 with the help of 150mg aspirin, fragmin, cyclogest, high dose folic acid and a stitch
gemstone83

Postby ma5alababe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Laura- hugs...having had 3 mc i know what its like - you just have to be strong and ride it out !. you have got the right attitude to continue and that helps

like Gemstone has said, push for some tests. i went to st marys also both nhs and private. Although they didn't find anything conclusive i did have a problem with lining which would impact ability to become pg
Metformin, clomid and OD- no response
IVF- March '10 BFP- DS born Nov'10
After 8+ cycles of IVF & FET- DD born June '15

Keep strong and believe in yourself !
ma5alababe

Postby LaursH » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi guys,

Thank you all so much for your lovely replies, it really means a lot. I have been back at work since last Thursday and feel better, I have been having blood tests to make sure my hcg is reducing, now just waiting for the letter from the recurrent miscarriage clinic, I'm already under them and have had the test for genetics, thyroid etc etc, so this is why I'm wondering what next as all of hem came back normal apart from PCOS, hope your all doing well xx
LaursH

Return to Trying to Conceive