clomid worries...

Share your frustrations, share your joys

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

clomid worries...

Postby boppity » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:13 pm

Hi,
This is my first post so hoping to find some guidance from ladies who have experience with clomid.

Diagnosed with PCOS 7 years ago and been on the pill for most of that time since. When I'm off the pill I dont usually get periods. However came off the pill in Nov to ttc. Since then I've had 2 natural periods which I was delighted about as I haven't up until now.

Had hospital appt this week and internal scan showed no sign of another period any time soon. Have been prescribed provera to induce period then 3 cycles of 50mg clomid. Once I've had the clomid I'm to collect weekly urine samples for 4 weeks then hand in to be analysed to work out when/if I'm ovulating. The doctor said that depending on the results they'll know whether they need to increase/decrease the dosage as every woman is different.

My concern is that we will be ttc after taking the first round of clomid but I won't get the results of my hormone levels until 4 weeks after.. What if the clomid overstimulates the ovaries and they produce multiple eggs?? Especially as I've recently started having a couple of natural periods. While we would be delighted with twins, is there not a chance that we could end up with more than that?? I know it sounds daft worrying about clomid being too successful but I'm not sure why you don't have a trial month to check that you're on the correct level of dose?

Any advice would be great, as I'm brand new to this :roll:

Thanks!! (Ps I'm 29 with healthy bmi)
boppity

Re: clomid worries...

Postby FairyLisaTTC » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:38 pm

I don't really have advice, only maybe ask for ultrasound scans during this cycle. This is my first cycle on clomid (days 2-6), scans on day 10 and 12 followed by a progestorone blood test. I am not sure what they would be testing in the urine, I find it odd but as I'm a newby maybe I'm wrong and someone else with a lot more experience can help you.

I do wish you all the best :)
Me (30), hubby (28)
Oct 2014 - Diagnosed with PCOS
Jan 2015 - Referral to clinic (GP sent me to a wrong clinic)
Feb - Mar - HSG - clear, husband all fine
Apr 2015 - Clomid 50 mg - Ov'd BFN
May 2015 - Clomid 50 - no ov.
Aug - Sept 2015 - IVF clinical trial (ICSI) - One grade 5AB transferred on Tues 8! - BFN (Devastated is an understatement)
Nov 2015 - Natural BFP (over the moon)
FairyLisaTTC

Postby boppity » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

That's great about scans and bloods for you- will give you a really good picture of your cycle. Good luck!

The Dr said that from the weekly urine tests they will measure my hormone levels and know whether I have ovulated or not. So he will know whether to increase/decrease dosage. But for me this will be retrospective- 5 weeks after taking clomid! I know it's unlikely but just worried it will over stimulate ovaries.
boppity

Postby shoegalclaire » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi Boppity, lots of clinics do vary in how they prescribe Clomid but I must admit I have never heard of a clinic testing urine to check for ovulation. As FairyLisa said, usually it's prescribed and you are given ultrasound tracking scans - these show at early stages of your cycle whether you are growing follicles which then lead to ovulation. Usually once a follicle is spotted they advise you to have sex at a certain time and then they check your progesterone levels with blood tests - this confirms ovulation. As far as I'm aware you can't check for ovulation with urine? Does your clinic not offer tracking scans? Usually if there is no activity on say, 50mg, then that is when they will up the dose of Clomid for the next cycle. There is always a risk of overstimulation on these drugs which is why most women have tracking scans so I am surprised they are not checking more thoroughly. Perhaps you should tell them your concerns and see whether they will do scans for you?

Hope this helps xx
Me (31), Hubs (32)
2005 - diagnosed endometriosis stage IV and PCOS
2013 - referred to CRM
February 2014 - May 2014: 4 Clomid cycles, produced cysts and no Ov.
Started IVF (ICSI) treatment 22nd August 2014
No transfer due to thin lining - 6 Blastocysts, 4 Snow Babies/Frosties in waiting
Started FET cycle - 20th October 2014, Baseline 4th November
1st Snow Baby Transferred 27/11/14 - please be my Christmas miracle...
BFP 06/12/14!
IT'S A BOY! Due 13/08/15
Leo James born 18/08/15 <3
shoegalclaire

Postby gemstone83 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:54 am

Hi Boppity, clomid does increase the chance of twins from about 1/100 to 1/20 so an increase but by no means a certainty. If you look on the pregnancy and motherhood board there are not that many multiples compared to singletons and clomid is/has been used by many. I think it is very rare to over stim on 50mg - only known it once in 5 years on the board. I was not offered tracking scans as my hospital do not do it and was only offered a blood test for the first month, if it worked then I was told to carry on, if it didn't then they would increase the dose. If you are extremely worried then you could always pay for a private scan. My local clinic always have deals. I have also never heard of urine being used to test for ovulation by a doctor.

If you are worried then please see if you can speak with your doctor on the phone to alleviate your concerns.

Good luck x
TTC since June 2010
August 2011 - Aug 2013 3 first tri miscarriages and a mmc at 12 weeks
Sticky Blood/Hughes Syndrome/APS diagnosed
Lletz November 2012 following abnormal smear
Beautiful baby girl born July 2014 with the help of 150mg aspirin, fragmin, cyclogest, high dose folic acid and a stitch
gemstone83

Postby boppity » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:26 am

Thank you so much for your replies. I phoned my hospital just now to ask and they said they would love to provide tracking scans for clomid but that they have so many women using it they can't afford to offer scans to all. Hmmm will need to think this over. Perhaps a private clinic as you suggested. Thanks so much for replies, so useful!
boppity

Postby Claire31 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:20 am

Hi Boppity,

As others have said it is rare to overstim on Clomid but it does happen and if you are very concerned then you could always arrange your own scan at a place like Babybond (or Google ultrasound + the place where you live) that would be cheaper than wholly going private and once you have had one cycle with one egg you might not feel the need to be scanned again. I would say aim for about cycle day 12 for the scan to see if a follicle is maturing and if there is more than one. There are lots of women who don't get scanned and just go ahead with the Clomid though. I also have never heard of testing urine, it doesn't seem like a good way because the levels would be altered by how hydrated you were. A progesterone blood test 7 days after when you think you ovulated would confirm ovulation and also show if your progesterone is at the required level for a healthy pregnancy.

If you like you can join Clomid buddies thread and we can help you through your first cycle :) Best of luck xx
TTC 1 since October 2005
Clomid 50mg / 100mg 2008 - No Ov
IVF #1 Oct/Nov 08 - BFP!!
Gorgeous son born Aug 09
TTC 2 since March 2011
Clomid 100mg x2 summer 2012 - ov BFN
HyCoSy tubes clear
10 cycles of Letrozole (varying doses, some with hCG trigger) all BFNs
June 2014 ICSI - BFN :(
Oct, Nov & Dec 2014 Letz BFN
Jan 2014 Surprise Natural Ov
May, June & July 2015 Letz BFN
Aug 2015 Letz 5mg BFP
Second gorgeous son born May 2016
Ps I'm 41!

My Ovulation Chart
Claire31

Postby boppity » Sat May 02, 2015 7:53 pm

Claire31 wrote:Hi Boppity,

As others have said it is rare to overstim on Clomid but it does happen and if you are very concerned then you could always arrange your own scan at a place like Babybond (or Google ultrasound + the place where you live) that would be cheaper than wholly going private and once you have had one cycle with one egg you might not feel the need to be scanned again. I would say aim for about cycle day 12 for the scan to see if a follicle is maturing and if there is more than one. There are lots of women who don't get scanned and just go ahead with the Clomid though. I also have never heard of testing urine, it doesn't seem like a good way because the levels would be altered by how hydrated you were. A progesterone blood test 7 days after when you think you ovulated would confirm ovulation and also show if your progesterone is at the required level for a healthy pregnancy.

If you like you can join Clomid buddies thread and we can help you through your first cycle :) Best of luck xx

Thank you, think I will join thread!x
boppity

Postby Mrs_G » Mon May 18, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi Boppity,

My clomid cycles are also tracked using urine samples. Do one every week on the same day, first pee in the morning and freeze it. When I have 4, drop them off at the hospital. I've been dropping mine off on a tue and I phone for the result on Friday. It won't monitor LH so can't say exactly when you have ovulated, but it shows an increase in something else, I think he said progesterone, and that shows that you have ovulated. My cycle is 32 days on clomid so I got my first results back just before I started taking it again the following month. They will start you at a low dose to see if you ovulate and will increase if they need to.

Good luck
X
Mrs_G

Postby boppity » Mon May 18, 2015 9:04 pm

Thank you Mrs G!! I am relieved to hear of someone else bring tacked in this way!! Good luck to you!
boppity

Return to Trying to Conceive