Newly diagnosed with PCOS, TTC and devastated

Share your frustrations, share your joys

Moderators: Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia, thebuzz

Re: Newly diagnosed with PCOS, TTC and devastated

Postby alice_in_nowhereland » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Hi Lisa - I had to chip in and say something as the timings on our circumstances are scarily similar and I thought you might want to know you have a very similar soul wandering around the midlands!

I am also 30 years old. I have been married a bit longer (3 years) but I was waiting for the 'right time' to try and start our family, so we have been trying for a year now.

I am only recently diagnosed as I have been on some sort of contraceptive since I was very young due to my bad acne, and so I hadn't noticed my other symptoms. However, since coming off the pill a year ago I have only had 2 periods, and then nothing since June 2014! My skin has got worse than ever since stopping the pill which is awful at 30! They are my main symptoms though, I don't have a weight issue and I don't (think!) I have particularly body hair.

It's such a shame you have had a bad experience with your doctors, I have been so lucky in that respect, I really thought they would fob me off when I went to them in September after not having periods for 3 months, but they referred me for blood tests and then scans really quickly. I am glad because waiting for appointments is such a lengthy process!

I saw the fertility doctor in January, and I am also going back to see him in March - maybe we will start treatment at the same time! I had my HSG on 11th February (how did you find it? I am quite good with pain but it was a little more uncomfortable than I was expecting!), but the good news is the lady who did the scan said it looked ok so that's good. Hopefully the consultant will confirm that.

Fingers crossed for your husbands sample, luckily my husbands was fine (very surprising considering he smokes a lot and has a high caffeine consumption!).

I was using ovulation sticks earlier last year, but I gave up on them as I figured they weren't working as I never got a positive. When I started on the 'possibly pcos' diagnosis I gave up on the sticks altogether - maybe that is wrong, but I was so sick of seeing nothing on them and I figured no period/no ovulation (a wrong conclusion perhaps!)

Charting and temperatures and all of that mystify me to be honest. Me and my husband try and BD every other day (unless circumstances mean we can't) so I hopefully won't have 'missed' any chances if I have ovulated. I am not sure at the moment I can face getting in to the charting thing - my brain seems to just switch off (I am not sure if it's because it seems so mathematical!).

You'll have to keep us up to date with your progress, knowing others are going through the same thing is really helpful I think, we aren't all alone, and there are so many positive stories out there, fingers crossed!
alice_in_nowhereland

Postby FairyLisaTTC » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:10 am

Thanks Joanne! Let's hope the clomid works (assuming that's what my consultant gives me), I can't do IUIs or IVF for religious reasons - I'll probably be put to the test though and if push came to shove I can't say for sure that I'd turn it down.

I just have had a difficult life - but I've worked hard, met an amazing man who is now my husband and thought finally things will be easy - HA! jokes on me! At least I have a great consultant, who's considered one of the best in the country!
Me (30), hubby (28)
Oct 2014 - Diagnosed with PCOS
Jan 2015 - Referral to clinic (GP sent me to a wrong clinic)
Feb - Mar - HSG - clear, husband all fine
Apr 2015 - Clomid 50 mg - Ov'd BFN
May 2015 - Clomid 50 - no ov.
Aug - Sept 2015 - IVF clinical trial (ICSI) - One grade 5AB transferred on Tues 8! - BFN (Devastated is an understatement)
Nov 2015 - Natural BFP (over the moon)
FairyLisaTTC

Postby tofty » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi, I've just found this site and forum and wanted to say hello. I've read a lot of the posts and do feel reassured that one day I'll be pregnant...

Im 35 (on thursday!) and only last week diagnosed with PCOS. I have a daughter of 4 years so I was quite surprised. I have no idea if its just suddenly come on or if I've had it all my life. I remember having an ultrasound when I was around 15/16 as my periods were very irregular. It showed no irregularities.
Then I went on the pill for about 10 years and came off as I was worried about the higher risk of cancer... my periods were then ok - no other symptoms.

I conceived DD very easily (one time- which i feel bad about writing with knowing how hard it is for many to concieve). So, with my career and thinking it was easy for us to fall pregnant we have been very careful.
In august last year we started trying again. In Nov/Dec I started getting a lot of irregular pains and so went to see the doc. After 2 blood tests and an ultrasound I found out (over the phone) that I have PCOS. I'm going to see the doc on thursday. I'm really hoping that it can be treated and that I can give my daughter a lovely sibling, although I appreciate even more now how lucky we are to have even one child.

Thanks for reading. Any advice is gratefully received!
tofty

Postby FairyLisaTTC » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi Tofty, welcome! I'm so sorry that you have to be here and are dealing with secondary infertility. I am new to all this and I learning as I go. I'm confident that I will get pregnant, just hope it's sooner than later.

I hope your doctor's appointment goes well on Thursday - s/he can guide you to the best course of treatment for you. For me I'm on a cycle one of clomifene (also known as clomiphene or clomid). This is usually the first line of treatment (as per NICE guidelines).
Me (30), hubby (28)
Aug - Sept 2015 - IVF clinical trial (ICSI) - One grade 5AB transferred on Tues 8! - BFN (Devastated is an understatement)
FairyLisaTTC

Postby tofty » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks FairyLisaTTC for making me feel welcome. Hopefully we will both have good news before too long x
tofty

Postby FairyLisaTTC » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:35 am

I certainly hope so :)
Me (30), hubby (28)
FairyLisaTTC

Previous

Return to Trying to Conceive