Dianette for mild acne?

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Dianette for mild acne?

Postby Pam5 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:32 pm

Hi ladies,
I hope you can offer me some advice, as I'm not sure what to do. I was told I haven't got PCOS as my hormone blood tests and Thyroid test came back as normal. She said I could be androgen sensitive? I have regular periods apart from one month in the year. I suffer with dark, coarse hair which I still have IPL laser to maintain it. I struggle to lose weight (I'm a stone overweight) even though I exercise and eat healthily (almost a vegan!) About 1 year ago I started getting spots here and there (which I never used to have, not even as a teenager). Over the last 3 mths they have become a lot more frequent every 2-3 days and they can be a pimple to a boil type spot that leave a nice dark brown mark when its gone (which I strugle to conceal) or they remain as a bump under the surface of the skin for months. I would say it is mild acne?
I'm 37 and I have never been on the pill before and the GP has given me Duac (which isn't really working) and also gave me Dianette for 3 mths to trial. I haven't started Dianette yet as I'm a little worried that when I come off it will it make my acne worse? I'm not really keen on taking synthetic hormones, I'm scared it will mess up my cycle permanently when I come off it. I don't really want to stay on the pill any longer than 3mths as I know its not really safe with blood clots and strokes, etc. I've also read up that women get depression, headaches,mood swings, crying and nausea/sickness with it. It all sounds rather scary!!!
Please can you advise is it worth taking Dianette for mild acne or will I just make it worse as I will come off it in 3 mths? Am I better off without it?

Many thanks in advance
Pam5
Pam5

Re: Dianette for mild acne?

Postby ZM » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:03 pm

Dianette is generally the best pill to go on as it has cyproterone acetate which is the strongest anti-androgen of the three. However it has had a very bad press (DVT risk) and is now only licenced to be prescribed as a temporary measure. While for me it "cures" all of my PCOS symptoms and I have a totally normal life, they just won't let you stay on a combined if you are over 35. They say look your acne has gone and take you off it then the acne comes back as the cyproterone that cured it has now gone, then they put you back on it as it is justified inside the guidelines again. Hence you could be yo-yoing which IMHO is worse for severity of acne and hairloss in the long term.

I am now on spirinolactone on it's own, fab for my acne as I don't have a break week so I don't even get the odd jawline spot like I did on my break week that I had on the Dianette. My acne was originally cystic and I did have 12months of low dose Accutane before the Spiri so how much that is still helping I am not sure, but without the Spiri just after the accutane the acne was starting to come back so the Spiri can take some of the credit.
Self diagnosed: 1999
Formally diagnosed after much pressure!: 2005
Current regime: Massive amounts of weight bearing exercise, and controlled diet. Have taken/tried Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Marvelon, Accutane. Now on Spearmint, Agnus Castus and low dose Spirinolactone.
ZM

Postby Pam5 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi ZM,
Thanks for your reply. I decided against taking the pill for now. I am just perservering with spot creams - I used Duaac which made the spots more red angry and inflamed plus I had an allergic reaction to it as I have sensitive, dry skin. I am now using Isotrex which takes about 3 days for the spot to come up to surface and it alos gives me a lot of dry peeling skin. I have also tried Pro-sctive but that did not work either. I will keep researching for a spot cream that works!
I am looking into buying Tria Blue light for acne - it has good reviews saying it works on hormonal acne but its very pricey at £229 although there is a 30 day money back guarantee available. I will have to save up a lot first!!!
Pam5

Postby ZM » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:38 pm

I did not find any of the creams worked for me and as I have sensitive skin they led to peeling and redness. I also asked my Dr about the light therapy and they were not very positive about it at all. Do you take any of the natural supplements? I do also take spearmint capsules (above the normal dose) and it does seem to help mop up some of the androgen as my hair and skin is calmer with it than without it (this was also noticeable before the Spiro). Also taking daily vitamin C (reduces inflammatory markers) and Vitamin D3 seem to help a little.
Self diagnosed: 1999
Formally diagnosed after much pressure!: 2005
Current regime: Massive amounts of weight bearing exercise, and controlled diet. Have taken/tried Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Marvelon, Accutane. Now on Spearmint, Agnus Castus and low dose Spirinolactone.
ZM

Postby Pam5 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:57 pm

I take a normal all-in-one multivitamin with iron for many years (as I am almost a Vegan). I do drink one cup of spearmint tea a day - I'm not a huge tea or coffee drinker. I think this has helped slightly. Where did you buy the Spearmint capsules from? How much doseage do you take?
The light therapy that your referring to - is it the blue light therapy (same as Tria)?
Thanks for your reply.
Pam5

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies