Spironolactone and increased red blood count

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Spironolactone and increased red blood count

Postby Buttons » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:35 pm

I have been on Spironolactone for nearly 4 years which has had amazing results for my excess hair growth (I was diagnosed with Idiopathic Hirsutism).
I have had my potassium and sodium checked twice a year and its always fine, but in the last 6 months my Dr did a full blood count, and my Haemoglobin and red blood cells came back raised.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen?
Buttons

Re: Spironolactone and increased red blood count

Postby Nicki_Sue » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi Buttons
Just stumbled across this. Did you get any answers from your GP etc re this? I've taken Spironolactone in a low dose to help re hair however took myself off it as to be honest it became obvious the dosage I would need was much higher to gain any results and I didn't need to be on a water tablet, let alone a higher dose. I am considering re-trying now though so would be interested to hear how you're getting on.
Kieran - Born July 06
Taylor - Born Nov 10

Looking to control my PCOS symptoms rather then have them control me
Nicki_Sue

Re: Spironolactone and increased red blood count

Postby Buttons » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:47 pm

I have been on Spiro for 4 years, started out 200mg a day, then dropped down to 100mg. Dr did routine blood, I had no symptoms but red blood cell came back slightly higher than reference range. Dropped down to 75mg and now 50mg. I'm hoping this will be OK for a maintenance dose, however I have noticed regrowth. Dr was not concerned red cells are stable and have not increased over 6 months, keeping hydrated.
Buttons

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies