Emergency Contraception

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Emergency Contraception

Postby Naomi23 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:13 pm

Hoping someone may be able to give me some advice.

I am currently not on any contraceptive pill, I am planning to start taking Yazmin once I've had some blood tests done later this month (I need to have the blood taken on the first day of my period and obviously with the pcos my periods are really messed up so I have no idea when my next period will be). Yesterday I had to take the morning after pill because of an accident and now I'm really concerned this may have messed up my hormones and pcos more, as it is such a large dose in 1 pill.

Has anyone had any experience with this? If I am infertile because of my pcos will taking the morning after pill have made it worse? Will it make my excess hair growth, hair loss and acne worse? Really worried I made the wrong decision in taking it and that it will be harmful for my body.
Naomi23

Re: Emergency Contraception

Postby Meringoo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:30 pm

Basically, taking the morning-after pill can disrupt your natural cycle for a few months. However, you cycle is already irregular, so it doesn't really matter. Another thing you should know is that you don't need to wait until your period to start the pill. Start at any time as long as you are not pregnant, which is highly unlikely. Doctors should really tell PCOS women not to bother waiting for their period, which could come at any time, or not at all! Just be sure to either abstain from sex for the first 7 days of your first pack, OR use condoms for that time.

The morning-after pill is just a high dose of progestogen. It will induce a bleed. As it's just a one-off, it won't affect your PCOS symptoms, and especially not if you start the combined pill soon afterwards.
Meringoo

Re: Emergency Contraception

Postby Naomi23 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:05 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I took the morning after pill over a week ago now and have still not had a period (my period was due the day after i took it). I had some light brown spotting but nothing since.

My period is a week late but I guess it could be messed up because of taking the emergency pill a day before it was due? I'll take a pregnancy test this weekend. My periods are irregular anyway with the pcos, so hopefully it's just being irregular, rather than the fact I might be pregnant.
Naomi23

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies