Struggling badly on Metformin

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Do you get dizzy spells?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Never
No votes
Occasionally
No votes
Once a day
No votes
Slightly disorientated all day
No votes
Unable to cope all day
100%

Total votes : 1

Struggling badly on Metformin

Postby Pinkmuffin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Hello,

I started Metformin just under a week ago, I've even halved my dose to 250mg once a day with my evening meal and I'm sooooooo poorly. Dizzyness is uncontrollable, I've gone all do laly. My feet n hands have gone numb and the fatigue is very very bad. Unusually though I'm not nauseous or vomiting, I just feel so weak. I bought a blood glucose tester and my glucose levels are within normal ranges for a non diabetic. I'm struggling so much but forcing myself to go to work. I'm not safe to drive at the moment.

Has anybody had this and does it go away? I'm supposed to double my dose soon but I really don't want too.

Please help as the doctor was useless and said it must be something else that's causing it but I'm sure it's the Metformin.
Pinkmuffin

Re: Struggling badly on Metformin

Postby Zuzia01 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:32 pm

I have heard that Metformin has many uncomfortable side effects. Many years ago I took Siofor it is similar to Metformin (it controls sugar level in the blood) but I felt so bad. I have diarrhea all day and stomachache. After one month I gave up and took only birth control pills but 5 months ago my ginecologist prescribed me Inofem (myo-inositol) and it also reduces insulin resistance. I check it every day. Yesterday my sugar level was 82 in the morning before I ate anything. I think that is quite interesting option and I hope that soon my problem with menstruation will disappear.
Zuzia01

Postby Hols969 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:37 am

I personally would come off it. There is evidence that it works for a tiny % of pcos ladies and they have insulin resistance, did they check you for IR? Often it can help you conceive but it is purely down to the horrible side effects and the subsequent weight loss as you spend half your time on the loo. I know the Verity endocrinologists are concerned it gets given to ladies who are not IR and there is no knowledge of what it can do to someone who doesnt really need it.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Pinkmuffin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:32 am

Hello and thank you for your response. No I never got tested for IR. I tried Metformin for two weeks and had to stop. I also suffer for chronic migraine and it made my migraine so bad I had to go to hospital. My endocrinologist said it wasn't the Metformin but since I wasn't on any other medication and that I got better once I'd stopped, I think she was just covering her back. She didn't help me afterwards suffice to say I won't be seeing her again. As I have chronic migraine I'm more interested in fixing that rather than my pcos, as the migraine has ruined my life. Unsure whether the PCOS is causing my migraines though and Drs wouldn't test me for IR and said it would be a waste of time.
Pinkmuffin

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies