Struggling to get fertility treatment.

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Struggling to get fertility treatment.

Postby Gemjo » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:36 pm

Hi Everyone.

I don't really know where to start with this so forgive me if I start to babble....

I'm 28 (29 in Dec), engaged and my Fiance and I would like to start a family. I'm currently under the hospital for my PCOS and we have spoken recently to my consultant about starting fertility treatment. They told me they will start me on Clomid if I lose 3 stone (I'm currently 13st 5lb). During our chat he also said they don't like to give it to people over the age of 30.

As you all know it is really hard to lose weight when you have PCOS. I have tried every diet there is. I was even given 12 weeks free at slimming world and despite sticking to it 100% (my SW consultant said I was doing everything right, even she couldn't understand why the weight was not coming off) I didn't lose a single pound. I've even tried the gym and no weight loss. On top of this I only have 1 year and 4 months to lose the weight and start Clomid if they don't give it over the age of 30.

I'm starting to think I'll never have a family of my own.

I haven't had a period since I was 21! (I only ever had 1 period a year before that)

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
life is full of endless, relentless, grinding dissapointments!!!
Gemjo

Re: Struggling to get fertility treatment.

Postby Amber » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Have you tried looking into low carb dieting? Slimming World and Weight Watchers go for the low fat option which doesn't always work well with PCOS. You may well be carb sensitive which results in excess insulin production which promotes fat storage. Have a look into the Paleo version of the diet (make sure it is the most up to date version that includes lots of natural fats to stop you feeling hungry.) This has certainly helped me balance my hormones so that I had regular periods, lost my acne, gained lots of energy and finally became pregnant.

I don't know where the clinic you attend got the idea that clomid can't be given to women over 30 as I had several rounds of it in my mid 30s and so have many other women on this board.
Diagnosed March 09
Lap & Dye Aug 09
6 x Clomid 50mg Ov BFN - 24-26 days
1 x clomid 100mg over stimulated
Cyclogest
IVF 1st round - 2 blasts BFN
Letting thing happen naturally
BFP @ 11 wks - Nov 12 mmc 12 wks
BFP @ 8 wks - 21/05/14 EDD 31/12/14
DD born 03/01/15
Amber

Re: Struggling to get fertility treatment.

Postby littlelolly » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi,

My clinic told me they may be starting me on clomid and I'm 38! They also said my BMI needs to be less than 30, it's currently 31, so they are strict with that. They did mention though that they don't give it to people over 40.
littlelolly

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies