Moving over to natural remedies...

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Moving over to natural remedies...

Postby stephanieo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi ladies,

I am 26 and was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16. I was on different pills from the ages of 16-24 (Dianette, Yasmin and Microgynon - none of them shifted the acne, and only Dianette helped with the excess hair. Dianette gave me severe moodswings, I bled in between periods and after sex on Yasmin, but no complaints about Microgynon). From 13-now I have been on a million different creams, gels, tablets for acne but am still suffering.

Whilst on Microgynon I moved abroad to Austria for work and discussed my PCOS with my doctor over there, who was shocked to learn that my UK doctor had told me I MUST go on the pill because that's the treatment for PCOS sufferers. Personally, I am not a fan of the contraceptive pill, mostly because of the negative side effects such as liver and kidney damage, cancer etc. We have enough similar side effects of having PCOS in the first place. And so I was extremely happy to not have to keep taking it. Does anyone else feel that their UK GP just fobs them off with the pill and that we have no choice in the matter?

I am a big fan of homeopathy (also recommended by my Austrian doctor). Unfortunately after leaving Austria and my lovely doctor behind, I am back in the UK for the foreseeable future and must once again face the UK GP! Let's hope he agrees with my homeopathic regime :lol:

I am only just starting so no results yet, but I am taking (daily):

-1000mg cod liver oil (which has 100% of my vitamin A & D). Vitamin D helps with menstrual cycles and the essential fatty acids in cod liver oil can help inflammation caused by acne, amongst other things.
-50mg zinc gluconate to help with skin (hormones and insulin).
-Calcium (400mg) & magneisum (200mg) combined tablet. Magnesium helps with insulin sensitivity.
-Selenium (with 100% of my vitamins C and E). Selenium and vitamin E helps with acne.

There is a massive list of other remedies to try such as saw palmetto, vitamin B6 etc but I am starting out with these for now. Does anyone have tips of tried and tested methods with regards to natural remedies? Would love to hear from you!

Steph :)
stephanieo

Re: Moving over to natural remedies...

Postby AmberJS » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:51 am

Hi Steph

I'm interested in all alternative medicines and treatments. I am going to look into acupuncture and do currently use meditation, reiki and crystal healing. I need to get back into my flower remedies and I think they help too and are very safe. I think vitamin supplements are great and try to eat healthy foods which are rich in many vitamins. Please do post how you are getting on. I would always listen to a doctors advise first and foremost but think it can be good to work alternatively alongside medical treatment :)
AmberJS

Re: Moving over to natural remedies...

Postby AussieGirlinUK » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:17 pm

Having had horrific reactions to Metformin, Spirolactone and Dianette, I have an appointment with a private Endocrinologist to see what can help me ... But I am also reading Dr Marilyn Glenville's book called "Natural Solutions to PCOS: How to eliminate your symptoms and boost your fertility". VERY interesting reading - I am making a tonne of notes - and plan to follow her suggestions.

How have you been getting on with your natural remedies?
AussieGirlinUK

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies