Private prescription for Cyproterone Acetate - Help please

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Private prescription for Cyproterone Acetate - Help please

Postby Roccomoo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:48 am

Hi my name is Jo and I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2003. After my diagnosis I was given Cyproterone Acetate, which helped me return to normal. I was on this for 5 years, having regular liver and kidney function tests and finally starting to like myself. I was then called to my gynae clinic and told by the senior consultant that I could no longer be under her care (I had never actually seen her in the 5 years I had been going there). She told me that I had caused all manner of problems with the health board and that if I changed consultant quietly they would allow me to have laser hair removal on the NHS (as I had paid for it previously and they had altered my dosage and the hair had returned, it had cost me £500).

I reluctantly agreed, as I dreaded the clinic, and had already had some horrible experiences there. My consultant changed and she then told me that there was not a budget for hair removal and that she wanted me to come off the Cyproterone. I fought hard to stay on it, but she refused to write the prescription (my GP will not as its unlicensed), and then the 'fun' started.

I had told them I would rather lose a leg than put my weight back on, extreme I know but my mental wellbeing is central to my daily life and has such a big impact. Since coming off the Cyproterone I have steadily put weight on, despite attending the gym, being on a healthy eating plan, walking, working outdoors etc, and my hormone tyre has returned.

I have begged my GP and the gynae and they have told me that I need to accept I will never be thin and will always have this problem, something I am not willing to accept. I have offered to sign a disclaimer to say I know it may cause liver and kidney damage, and will have regular tests which if negative impact is found I will stop.

My chest size is increasing on a two monthly basis, and is getting ridiculous, that coupled with the weight and a weak back means I am now waiting for surgery on my lower back.

I am 34 and am sick of feeling like this, the looking in the mirror and hating myself, from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to sleep and during my dreams.

I don't want to be skinny, I just want to be me again, to like what I see, and to help my health.

My question is, does anyone know where I can get a private prescription for Cyproterone from? Or have any experiences with private health providers that prescribe the drug as treatment.

Thanks in advance.

Jo x
Roccomoo

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies