Myo inisitol - anyone tried it?

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Myo inisitol - anyone tried it?

Postby Mrs_T » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:01 pm

Wondering if anyone has used myo inisitol and had good results? Seems to be a number of research studies that have found it to be beneficial for pcos so thinking of trying it, would be really interested to hear of others experiences though, particularly what dosage & which improvements were found, thanks!
Mrs_T

Re: Myo inisitol - anyone tried it?

Postby Hol1985 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:55 pm

Hi there.

I haven't tried myo inositol but have recently tried d chiro inositol, which I believe is similar.
Before taking it I hadn't had a period for 4 months (a couple of months after coming off dianette)', after 3 weeks on d chiro inositol I got my period - completely natural, first time in many years that that has happened.
None of my other symptoms seem to have improved tho, acne still bad and no weight loss. Also I am losing a lot of scalp hair but that started prior to the d chiro, I'm slightly concerned it's making it worse tho.

I think if your objective is to regulate your cycle it's definitely worth a try, for other symptoms I've not seen any effect.

Hope this might help a little. Good luck x
Hol1985

Postby Magz_x » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:32 pm

Ive just started this so I'll let you know how i get on x
Magz_x

Postby Mrs_T » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks both, i've ordered some and waiting for it to arrive so i'll report back too. Hol1985, I've heard it can take up to 6 months to see improvements in acne and excess hair so maybe worth persevering for longer (though I don't know if its the same with d chiro inositol). I heard recently too that hair loss can be due to not having enough iron, so not sure if you've considered that as a possible cause?
Mrs_T

Postby becca » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:04 am

Just wondered about whether you have had any sucess with myo inositol? I'm thinking of trying some :)
becca

Postby Mrs_T » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi sorry for slow reply. I started taking myo inositol in Jan, then found out I was pregnant in March and have since reduced the dosage so I haven't really taken it long enough at the recommended dosage to see the full benefits in terms of PCOS symptoms, though my PCOS symptoms had improved a lot before starting to take it from other diet and supplement changes I'd made. I'm not sure if taking it helped me concieve or not but I know it's reported to improve ovulation and egg quality. The one I took was from Zita West, 4g a day dosage (2g in morning and 2g in evening)
Mrs_T

Postby becca » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks for the update and congratulations on your pregnancy! It was zita west brand I was looking at. I take metformin though, I have read online it is ok to take alongside metformin, have you taken it with any other medication?
becca

Postby Mrs_T » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Hi Becca, hope it helps. I wasn't taking any other medication but you're right it it ok to take it alongside metformin though worth mentioning this to your doctor x
Mrs_T

Postby stephanieo » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Becca did you start taking the myo inisitol? Any results yet?

Steph x
stephanieo

Postby becca » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:38 pm

Sorry I have only just got back to this thread! Yes I started taking once scoop of myo inositol a day alongside metformin (I checked with the doctor) in early July. I found out I was pregnant about 3 weeks ago so have stopped taking it completely. I don't think I took it long enough to notice any symptom changes though it may have helped with the pregnancy as I had ewcm for 6 days rather than the usual 3!!!
becca

Postby JAR » Sat May 09, 2015 10:55 pm

There are so many zita West tablet, please which I can get and also how can I get hold of myo-inositol please?
JAR

Postby Zuzia01 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi,
I have been using myo-inositol since 5 months. I have read a lot of information about it and decided to try. I am tired of taking birth control pills, because I've put on weight almost 22 kg and I didn't feel well. So I started taking Inofem (myo-inositol+folic acid). I will tell you within 2 months if Inofem works, because during these 5 months I have been taking Inofem + birth control pills, so I only notice that my sugar level is normal now and I lost 5 kg. But know I started working out and take only Inofem and I will see if it will regulate my menstrual cycle.
Zuzia01

Postby london girl » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi all,

I have been recommended to take myo inositol by my doctor while living in Italy, and I have been told they have used it for many years. However, I wanted to understand what is the evidence base for it and looked into the literature.

There are a number of smaller studies showing good effects, summarized in a systematic review: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22296306

There is also a recent consensus paper on the question of whether to use myo inositol, d-chiro inositol or a combination of both: http://www.ejog.org/article/S0301-2115(15)00329-2/abstract

This led me to believe that inositol is a promising new treatment without side effects which should be undergoing systematic testing in large randomized controlled trials across different universities and countries. However, I was not able to find any information on ongoing studies in the UK. Also, I noticed there is no mention of it in recent overview papers on PCOS management, for example by the european endocrinological society: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24849517

It is also not mentioned in the NICE guidelines - I think because there is not enough research!

So it is time for some clarification on where we are with research on inositol in PCOS and I wondered if Verity could help. If this is deemed promising, there should be more research, rather than us self-experimenting on our own. This way we will really learn whether it helps or not, for whom it is helpful, and how we should use it!

PCOS is a common condition and it causes considerable distress - there are many of us, so we should demand a higher investment in research to change this!
london girl

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies