Which contraceptive pill is best

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Postby Meringoo » Mon May 02, 2011 9:16 pm

Just thought I'd update the thread. I changed from Yasmin to Cilest, because Yasmin was making my skin too dry (though was brilliant in every other way), and Cilest has already started to make a difference. My skin tone is more even (no dark patches from where I was dry and flaky) and my acne has calmed down considerably, which is brilliant. I've been on Cilest before and it was a good pill, but I am liking it more this time round, probably because I'm not going through the problems I had a couple of years ago with endometriosis (which couldn't be solved by any pill).

So, if anybody is finding that their skin is far to dry on Yasmin, like I've said before, Cilest is a good option, and still anti-androgenic so good for hair and acne PCOS symptoms.

Wishing you all well xx
Meringoo

Postby Shayrana » Sat May 07, 2011 11:07 am

Last edited by Shayrana on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shayrana

Postby Meringoo » Sat May 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Glad you've found this thread helpful!

The headaches on Yasmin will most likely stop after a few cycles. To held reduce acne, oestrogen headaches and any periods-related problems, taking 2 or three packs back-to-back without a break helps. I do this all the time and it is totally safe. My gynaecologist recommended it, and it keeps my skin clearer for longer.

If you find the headaches don't get better on Yasmin, try Marvelon or Cilest. xx
Meringoo

Postby Shayrana » Sun May 08, 2011 7:53 am

Last edited by Shayrana on Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shayrana

Postby Meringoo » Sun May 08, 2011 8:02 am

You're welcome. Microgynon ruined my skin and made my hair fall out! It is brill for some women, though not for those with PCOS.

Lots of GPs either don't realise that bi-cycling and tri-cycling is fine to do (because they're not confident prescribing pills), and tend to stick with telling us to take it as the manufacturer suggests. You could actually take the pill non-stop for 6 months, though this would mean you'd get breakthrough bleeding and sore boobs, so 2-3 packs at a time is best. My natural cycle is around 6 weeks, so I find that taking two packs then having a break makes me feel better than having a break every 3 weeks. Also, you don't need to have a "period" as often when you're on the pill, because the hormones don't enable your womb lining to grow at the quick rate it would without being on the pill (which, if you don't shed more than 3 times a year can lead to problems).

If headaches continue after a good few months on your new pill, and it's making you feel ill, try a low-oestrogen pill such as Mercilon.

Hope this helps. xx
Meringoo

Postby penguin » Mon May 09, 2011 8:38 am

Hi, I was wondering if you had any advice about Yasmin and weight gain?

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2007, and was on Yasmin for 3 months, and it didn't seem to suit my mood. I lost a few pounds during this time. I switched to Dianette, and managed to lose about 3.5 stone and kept it off. However, after finishing uni and changing Drs he went mad that I had been on Dianette for nearly 2 years and so had me change to Yasmin.

Since being on Yasmin for 18 months I have gained about 2 stone back, I try to be careful but as soon as I go for a meal out or something I end up putting on more than I have lost, and I'm really struggling. Could this be anything to do with the Yasmin? Are there any pills better at controlling weight? I know I'm unlikely to be put back on Dianette but any advice is welcome!

A xxx
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
penguin

Postby Meringoo » Mon May 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Hello,

Firstly, WELL DONE for managing to lose so much weight, and especially on Dianette, which, some studies have shown to be a pill that can trigger weight gain. You new dr. was right to be concerned about the length of time you had been on that pill, it carries a much higher risk of DVT than other pills. Yasmin is the usual choice after Dianette, because it is the most anti-androgenic and due to it being pretty new and using a progestogen that is an analogue of spironolactone (Spiro - used for excess hair and acne), it tends to be pretty effective. Yasmin also tends to cause less undersireable side effects such as bloating (the diuretic effect from drospirenone helps with cyclical water weight), acne and breakthrough bleeding.

On the other hand, while it may be great for some symptoms, it may cause you an increase in hunger. Studies on 2nd and 3rd generation progestogens have shown that 3rd gen progestogens have less effect on lipids - meaning they are unlikely to cause weight gain- in comparison to older pills that contain (PCOS-unfriendly) progestogens like levenorgestrel (Microgynon, Ovranette). Therefore, pills that contain desogestrel (Marvelon, Gedarel, Mercilon) and norgestimate (Cilest) shouldn't cause weight gain. Yasmin hasn't been studied properly for this, though it should follow the pattern.

Having said that, you may find that Yasmin doesn't suit you weight-wise. I would have said it could be oestrogen-related, but as you've been on Dianette and lost weight, that doesn't make sense. For all oral contraceptives, weight gain is a possible side effect. My own experience tells me that I put weight on without following a strict, low-calorie diet and exercising. I am rubbish at doing both right now, and so have gained weight. The pill that I lost the most weight on was Marvelon, though Cilest (which I am on currently) didn't inhibit my weight loss when I was on it a couple of years ago, and I know that if I tried really hard :roll: I could do better!

Yasmin may well be causing the weight difficulties, though you won't find any proper studies on it due to the control that the drug company has on the media available - it's big business. If you're not feeling so good about being on Yasmin, I'd say try Cilest or Marvelon. Both are good for PCOS.

Hope this helps xx
Meringoo

Postby penguin » Mon May 09, 2011 6:09 pm

Thank you for such an in depth reply :D and thanks for the weight loss compliment- I only wish it had stayed off :oops:

I'll have a word with the doc about it on Wednesday, and I'll suggest the Marvelon or Cilest. If only Dianette wasn't so risky! I'm wondering whether or not Metformin might help... Or do they only prescribe that to women TTC?

A xxx
penguin

Postby Meringoo » Mon May 09, 2011 8:15 pm

You're very welcome.

It's difficult trying to get Metformin. Basically, it is often for those ttc, and I asked for it as an alternative to the pill (when I had an IUD), and my gynaecologist said I wasn't fat enough (my BMI was probably around 32!) and that it wasn't a good choice because it makes life miserable due to the side effects and restrictions on what you can eat (that doesn't cause bad diarrhoea and sickness) while taking Met. Also, as soon as you stop taking the Met, you can easily pile the weight back on.

I'm going through a particularly fat time right now. I lost 2 stone last Summer, and then stopped the diet I was on (Cambridge Weight Plan - amazing results, dreadful to maintain unless you continue a 400kcal per day regime!). I have been really ill with a neuropathic condition which has limited my movement due to pain, but my appetite and food choices are not good!! So, think I will need to do something. Your weight loss success has totally inspired me. So, thank you! I'm going to sort myself out! :D

I would definitely ask for those pills. One of them might just be the right combination for you to lose weight and find it easier to maintain. xx
Meringoo

Postby penguin » Tue May 10, 2011 11:46 am

I've never been called an inspiration before :) I really need to sort my weight out again, I'd love a diet buddy if you're interested? I will let you know how I get on tomorrow! xxx
penguin

Postby Meringoo » Tue May 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Yes to the diet buddy idea! I am in need of somebody to keep me on the wagon! My other half just says the nice stuff (probably scared of saying "yes babe, you are fatter than before" lol!).

Do let me know how your appointment goes xx
Meringoo

Postby penguin » Wed May 11, 2011 9:29 am

yay I look forward to having a diet buddy!

Dr was very helpful, but naturally reluctant to start changing things until my exams are over. She did say it was unlikely to be the Yasmin, but did offer to switch me to microgynon if I wanted!!! I said about it being bad for PCOSers and she said there was no evidence of this.

So, she wants me to come back after exams and talk about either going on metformin or orlistat eep. I really am in a pickle now as both these drugs seem to have some unpleasant effects in the bowel area!

thanks for your help xxx
penguin

Postby Anilav » Sun May 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Please can I have some advice from the pill-guru? :lol:

I was on cilest about 5 years ago and came off it to TTC. I used to have really irregular periods (10 week cycles weren't uncommon) and although better since having J they are getting worse again.

The PCOS symptom that bothers me most is the hairiness, and this was slightly better on cilest but only slightly.

I had a copper coil fitted after giving birth and had it removed about 7 weeks ago to start TTC but this has made me realise I am not ready to get back on that hamster wheel again so need to sort out contraception. My hairiness is really getting me down so I thought maybe going back on the pill would help this. Is it worth me trying Yasmin? Am a bit scared of the side effects after reading this but if it is better for the hairiness I will gladly suffer. I think I was fine on cilest generally, I thought it was causing a low mood but after some counselling I am feeling much more positive.

Also (thanks for reading so far!) does being on the pill with PCOS have a negative effect on your fertility?

Thanks

MMC 9 wks Aug 2013
Chemical pregnancy Dec 2013
Anilav

Postby Meringoo » Wed May 25, 2011 4:55 pm

Hello! I will assume you mean me :lol:

Ok, firstly yes, going back on the pill would help regulate your cycles and the excess hair. The choice of pill, as you have suggested, is important. While Cilest is a good pill for PCOS, it is more helpful for acne than excess hair. You are right in thinking that Yasmin would be a good option. For excess hair, after Dianette (which is not recommended for long-term use, as you probably know), Yasmin is your absolute best option. The progestogen it contains is an analogue of a drug called Spironolactone, which is specifically used to treat excess hair.

So, I would go to your GP and ask to be put on Yasmin for your symptoms. Also, you can take the pill back-to-back for 2-3 packs which will help with any flare ups you get during pill-free weeks, because you won't experience them as much! You don't need to have a "period" every 3 weeks. There is no medical benefit when on the pill because your womb lining doesn't build up very much (in comparison to when you're not on the pill) therefore it is safe to take less breaks.

The combined pill doesn't affect your fertility. It may take a few months for your natural cycle to return, or it will return immediately. Many women find that their periods improve and become more regular after time on the pill.

I hope you find this helpful, but if you need to ask anything, feel free! xx
Meringoo

Yasmin Alternatives

Postby njm » Fri May 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Hi There - I'm new to this site and have been reading through the forum and am hoping you may be able to offer some advice. :)

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2009. Initially I was put on Dianette but only lasted about 4 months as it made me suicidal.After much research I asked to be put on Yasmin, which I have been on ever since.

Initially it was fine, but for the past few months I have found that my moods are a lot lower than before, my self esteem is low and I have little drive.

Has anyone else had these problems, or could anyone suggest what pill I could try next? My main problem with PCOS is excess hair so I would want a pill that could help with this as well.

Any advice would be greatly received. Thank you !!!!
njm

PreviousNext

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies