Which contraceptive pill is best

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: Which contraceptive pill is best

Postby B17Fan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Hols969 which pill are you on and how long did it take to help your mood?
B17Fan

Postby Pleeds » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:39 pm

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me.

Although i do not have PCOS or acne I do have very oily skin and have been told in skin consultations that I do not have acne because I must have a really good skin care routine - not complaining !!

I have never taken the pill and went to the doctor who prescribed me with rigevidon but after research online it looks like this is the standard one they prescribe as it's cheaper for the NHS! I do not know if this is the best option for me but after reading this forum which is great by the way I am thinking I should ask for yasmin as atleast it will help to reduce chance of acne? I am most worried about as It is my wedding in March and hugely concerned about side effects.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated x
Pleeds

Postby Morniel » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi all,

I just registered here to ask this question because this thread seems to be really helpful for people!

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2011, since then I've been on pills not available in the UK (while I was still living in Germany), and then on the Yasmin since Jarnuar 2012. I've never had any problems with the Yasmin until the last couple of months. I think it started in June when I was suddenly getting swellings in my armpits that my GP says can be PCOS related. Also my boobs started to swell and hurt around halfway through the blister. The swelling of the boobs ;) subsided for a few months but now seems to be coming back. Also, hirsutism is getting a little bit worse again (not really bad), and I'm shedding really badly. Hair loss has always been the main symptom for me, and psychologically it's the worst.
I've also been on metformin since September 2012. Everything has been fine. What is going on now? I really don't know what to do anymore. It seems to me like I'm having side effects from the Yasmin but I can't just go off it. Should I try a different pill? Any advice would be really appreciated, I just need this hair loss to stop. Thanks!
Morniel

Postby Hols969 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:15 am

Have you put on weight at all, or extra stress in your life ?
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Morniel » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:51 am

My weight has been fluctuating a bit, but not very much. Like 3kg up and down. Yes lots of stress since ca. November but that has never affected my hormonal levels in that way. Or at least I don't think so. In February 2015 I had a mental breakdown and still did not start shedding around that time.
Morniel

Postby Hols969 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:48 am

Symptoms can get considerably worse with weight gain and stress - I am on Yasmin but was on Marvelon prior to that and dianette so may be worth trying one of those or something similar to Yasmin just to see if it improves at all
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Morniel » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:53 am

I don't want to try the Dianette because I'm already anxious and depressed enough and I can't mess with my mental health any more than I'm already doing. I've made the experience that being on high estrogen pills makes me incredibly unbalanced and depressed. What's the Marvelon like? Again, I haven't gained any significant amounts of weight recently, but my lifestyle, diet and exercise regime haven't been as good as they normally are. But shouldn't the pill balance these things? I mean my hormonal system is basically "switched off" while on it, there shouldn't be these kinds of fluctuations right? Or am I misunderstanding something? I can't do anything about my stress levels in the next couple of months since I'm in the final year of my PhD. But if I understand you correctly, working on my diet and exercise should improve matters?
Morniel

Postby Morniel » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:31 pm

I just read up on the Marvelon. It contains desogestrel which a) caused me problems when I was taking the Cerazette 10 years ago and b) is not anti-androgenic. Are dienogest containing pills available in the UK? I find it almost impossible to find information on that.
Morniel

Postby Hols969 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:55 pm

It's only switched off to a degree though, I find I gain weight or am stressed the side effects seem to increase even tho I've been on the pill for 25 or so years!! I am on antidepressants so don't notice too many low problems
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Morniel » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:06 pm

I finally had an appointment with my GP today, who suggested that we might try putting me on spironolactone. Can this be a short-term solution while I try to stabilise my hormonal levels through diet and exercise, do you think? I'm a bit worried about that one as well because I've read that it can be associated with depression and anxiety too...
Morniel

Postby Hols969 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:01 pm

Yes it can help - I never read side effects as it doesn't affect everyone in the same way so if I get any then I look it up as I know how powerful the mind can be
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Morniel » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:08 pm

I read a scientific article, not a list of side effects. Anyway, thanks for your input!
Morniel

Postby Meringoo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:16 pm

Morniel wrote:I just read up on the Marvelon. It contains desogestrel which a) caused me problems when I was taking the Cerazette 10 years ago and b) is not anti-androgenic. Are dienogest containing pills available in the UK? I find it almost impossible to find information on that.

It is a progestogen with low androgenic activity when combined with oestrogen, but not as much on its own, although it has much lower androgen receptors in comparison to levonorgestrel. It isn't overly androgenic as a POP, but obviously if you have PCOS symptoms, or are prone to acne or hair issues, it can exacerbate things. I find it to be acceptable as a POP, and many women find Marvelon/Gedarel 30/150 to be a decent pill for PCOS management, as it is oestrogen-dominant.

Qlaira is the pill with dienogest in the UK. It's very expensive so not many GPs will want to prescribe it. Yasmin would be a better choice, if you can tolerate that pill.
Meringoo

Previous

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies