Which contraceptive pill is best

Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Clomid, Herbals, Yoga, Acupuncture, Oils, etc

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Re: Which contraceptive pill is best

Postby 1983rachyroo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Hi, just wondered if someone could give me some advise please.

I had my 1st baby 4 weeks ago, and have my 6 week check in a couple of weeks, and I am wanting to go armed with the right info about which would be the best pill to go on to.

I had pre eclampsia, and had to be induced 3 weeks early, and am now on blook pressure tablets for another fwe weeks to manage it. After my blood pressure check today I asked about the pill, and he said because of my blood pressure I would be limited to which pill I can take, he said to have a progesterone only pill. I am hoping there is a pill which will suit pcos and BP! !

Does anyone have any advise about which would be best?

Tia

Rach roo xx
TTC since December 2012
1st Doctors Appt September 2013
Diagnosed December 2013
9 January 2014 - Started Provera
24 January 2014 - Clomid started
4 February 2014 - 12 day tracking scan
25 & 26 February 2014 - BFP
Pip due 30.10.14
Diagnosed with pre eclampsia 08.10.14
Charlotte Beth born 11.10.14
December 2014 - Cerazette
Diagnosed with PND August 2015 - 20mg Citalopram
June 2016 Citalopram reduced to 10mg
1983rachyroo

Postby crazyDiane » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:04 pm

Hello! I am a new member of this forum. My best friend has got PCOS, and when we thing about this we want to cry. We know eachother from childhood and we always wanted to have babies at the same age... It is really hard to be a mother when your besat friend cant be. I started to search the net and found something like that: http://www.inofem.pl/en/. Do you know something about this? I have read some good refferences and want to buy this for her because this is non-prescription one. :)
crazyDiane

Postby iron_mum » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:42 am

quite interesting - this inofem... i never heard about it but i see even on ebay that its some new product. :) i did this test on their site http://www.inofem.pl/en/pcos-test,10076 and everything confirm that i have pcos ;)
now my doctor gave me a metformin did anyone of you also take that ? i feel so sick bleh..
iron_mum

Postby crazyDiane » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:03 pm

yes baby :) As I said this Infoem is very very ok :) Beside the medicine, at ist page you can find some good tips for girls with PCOS :) You dould read about the diet and healthy lifestyle: look there: http://www.inofem.pl/en/why-are-appropr ... cos-,10079 :)
crazyDiane

Postby iron_mum » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:00 pm

oh diet is very important thx for this link to inofem diet :) i will read it later. I ve got also high sugar blood level and i`m on metformin still and it also could help to conceive :) my sister is pregnant and i`m still trying to conceive :-(
iron_mum

Postby wrigglepup » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:45 am

Yes 100% agree, healthy lifestyle is so important.
As soon as I get my arse in gear changes begin to happen.
I have noticed with regular sweaty exercise my periods return, I don't have them very often!
If you join a gym try to find a good trainer, mine makes me do cardio and weights he suggests 4 times a week.
I was so surprised cause he had actually heard of our condition, he said building muscle helps use up the insulin in our bodies.
I started four weeks ago, I haven't lost weight on scales but the fat has definitely reduced off my belly, back and legs.
I understand that this is a huge commitment which can be near impossible to fit into busy lives especially if you aren't obsessed with your body image or don't enjoy this type of exercise.
Maybe the benefits could out weigh the hassle in the long run.
More energy, better sleep (a different restful tired feeling) along with all the well known advantages. I think I have been alot happier, it's a boost! Not sure if its the physical or mental because am taking control.
Can I keep it up for the rest of my? Hoping so, as pcos won't go away.
Sorry for running on.
I wish I didn't have to do it. Hope you don't think I am preaching. Just some encouragement. For me too xx
wrigglepup

Postby Moomin07 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:04 am

Hi

I hope I have posted this in the right place. New to this!
I need some advice on pill-I have been diagnosed for 3 years. I went to see my GP about the pill to control symptoms but my family medical history meant I was high risk for Dianette/ Yasmin. She put me on microgynon instead but have been reading about how it's not great for PCOS and progesterone is androgenic. Is there a pill which is good for PCOS and lower DVT risk than Dianette/ Yasmin?

Thanks
Moomin07

Postby ZM » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Basically I have the same query as above ^^

Now at 37 they won't let me have a combined pill anymore and took me off Dianette. I now have lost about 70% of my hair, and have needed to take Accutane and Aldactone to control the acne. The acne is stable but my hair the past couple of months is shedding even more (gone up to 100mg Spiro) and I have just got back from a day at the hospital with another suspected decidual cast (tissue passed 2 weeks after my period and a lot of pain) and the sonogropher said one of the cysts she saw on my R ovary (left is completely normal with no PCOS visible) was too big to be a PCOS cyst and ?had smaller cysts inside it. The SHO then said the scan was comletely normal, she didn't know enough about PCOS to diagnose it and sent me home saying that my symptoms are just how it is until I hit menopause and in future to ignore any bleeding between periods or abdominal pain. Can't live like this anymore so tempted to just beg for the pill again...

One of the GPs on call who referred me to the hospital said I can't be left to rough it without the pill and if I am no longer allowed a normal combined to ask to go for a newer one with lower Oestrogen and use that alongside the Spiro. So I'd really like to know which is the least androgenic of the new lower Oestrogen COC pills.

Many Thanks!
Self diagnosed: 1999
Formally diagnosed after much pressure!: 2005
Current regime: Massive amounts of weight bearing exercise, and controlled diet. Have taken/tried Metformin, Dianette, Yasmin, Marvelon, Accutane. Now on Spearmint, Agnus Castus and low dose Spirinolactone.
ZM

Postby B17Fan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:12 am

How long does it take for the pill to settle mood? This is my 9th day on marvelon and I suffer from hormonal depression from day 9 to day 21. Very worried it's not going to help.
B17Fan

Postby Hols969 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:26 am

Have you just gone on it? If so it can take up to 3 months to settle. Also take 2-3 months on the trot to reduce the symptoms further (I do 2 as I spot if I go to 3), as long as you have 4 periods a year it is fine.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby B17Fan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:50 am

Yes this is my 9th day. My periods are as regular as clockwork, it's just this awful depression I get for the middle 2 weeks of my cycle. When I'm in the last week of my cycle I feel great. It makes sense to take a pill with more progesterone
B17Fan

Postby Hols969 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:16 pm

The only time I feel low is when I am on my period but as I take two months on the trot it is bearable I would take 2 months on the trot this month then have a break (7 days) and then start again and try 3 months together with no break. It makes a huge difference to me, I wish I could do 3 months on the trot.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby B17Fan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:11 pm

Really hope it works for me. I hate reading all the negative stuff about the pill online. I have ocd as well, so that's why I'm so worried about it all
B17Fan

Postby Hols969 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:46 pm

For me it is worth the small risk(and it is very small - you can always find stories on stuff, usually bad, but we are all different and some things dont suit all). Ive been on the combined pill for 25 or so years and my life isnt perfect but I am relatively 'normal' most of the time.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby B17Fan » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Yeah I guess the internet is full of negative stories. It's all these conflicting sites which confuse me. Like the pill isn't the answer, you should take all these supplements etc. It's doing my head in!
B17Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Medications & Complementary Therapies